4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 06:01 AM
sheran

Fuse keeps blowing

Hi guys,

I've got a stock '99 Infiniti I30 (over here in the United Arab Emirates they refer to it as a Maxima 30J) which keeps blowing a 10a fuse about 5 minutes after I replace it. The fuse is for the dashboard meters (Speedo, Tach, Temp, Indicators, etc) and I can't figure out why this is. I've checked the other fuses and each of them are fine and are seated according to the ratings given on the fusebox cover. I did notice that it seems to blow whenever I've got the stereo on. But the stereo has been in place for over a year and a half now and why should the problem come up now? I live about a 150km away from my Nissan Service Center and would like to have your opinions before I throw in the towel and drive over there ( minus speed and tach readings of course! )

Thanks,
Sheran

Old 11-19-2001, 06:03 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your stereo my be tapped into that circuit for the dimming feature (lights). Try to find where that wire is and disconnect it. You may have a short of some sort in your stereo causing that fuse to blow.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:38 AM
sheran

Car died on me

Sad day today. Lots of weird happenings with the car. First off, it wouldn't start. I tried it a couple of times and left it for about a half hour. I came back and tried again. This time it started with difficulty.

I tried the dash fuse again. This time it would blow when the metal contacts touched the socket. I knew that the stereo was affecting things, so I did not switch it on at all. I did however turn on the air conditioning. It seemed well for a second or two and then the car started to sputter as if it was going to quit on me. As soon as I switched the A/C off, it was fine again. Similar thing when I tried the power windows. It would threaten to die. It's as if every electrical device I try to use on the car causes problems.

I tried to drive it up the street, but it quit once and never started until now. I dunno whats going on. It looks like something major is shorting out the entire electrical system or something. I'm gonna yank out the stereo today and see what kind of damage it has done to the wiring.

I'd appreciate any ideas/input on what I'm up against.

Boy, this is gonna hurt...

Old 11-20-2001, 11:17 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Sounds like you have a short as stated above or an electrical component is going bad (and drawing too much current).

Make sure you battery is fully charged and the alternator working (use a multimeter). Your battery may be drained over the last few days... I'm shooting in the dark a bit

If you've done any rewiring...alarms, stereos or lights... check the wiring.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

possible explanation

I know that this is pretty late, but it could be a faulty neutral switch.....I had similiar problems that were hard to diagnose. Finally figured out that when i went in reverse is when the fuse would pop. had the neutral switch disconnected and never had the problem again.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:41 AM

good chance its a short . question ie where is it coming from ??
Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by afro
I know that this is pretty late, but it could be a faulty neutral switch.....I had similiar problems that were hard to diagnose. Finally figured out that when i went in reverse is when the fuse would pop. had the neutral switch disconnected and never had the problem again.
Originally Posted by beez5spdmax
good chance its a short . question ie where is it coming from ??

i kno u guys are newbies, but at least bump current threads.

This thread 9 yrs old