4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Some Advice on A/C -- Not Cold...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:58 PM

Need Some Advice on A/C -- Not Cold...

Briefly:

1. A/C Clutch engages (whines, yes--bearing is bad) when A/C is switched on. I can hear the hissing sound from inside the cabin
2. Pressure on low side dips from ~55 PSI (A/C NOT on) to ~30 PSI (when A/C is switched on)
3. Low Side Pressure never budges from ~30 PSI while A/C is on
4. Air does NOT get cold inside car
5. Low Side return pipe to cooling unit does NOT get cold
6. Pressure rises back to ~55 PSI when A/C is shut off

Any ideas? I am going crazy here. I added some oil/refrigerant today--boosted PSI a few pounds...no change.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had the same problem, no leaks, fully charge, but still no cold air, a nissan tech told me it could be the expansion valve,
Old 03-29-2009, 01:00 AM

I had this problem with my old datsun pickup. there's a hose from the evaporator to drain the condensation. If this hose gets plugged, the evaporator fills w/ water, and doesn't cool the air. Usually you can access it from under the passenger side of the dash, detach it, drain it, and clean it.

However, now that I'm looking at my haynes manual, it appears that the evaporator drain isn't a hose, but a tube that goes through the firewall, and you can't access it from the passenger compartment. You have to check it from the engine compartment.

Just make sure you're not laying under that drain when you shove something up there to clean it out.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by shudson
I had this problem with my old datsun pickup. there's a hose from the evaporator to drain the condensation. If this hose gets plugged, the evaporator fills w/ water, and doesn't cool the air. Usually you can access it from under the passenger side of the dash, detach it, drain it, and clean it.

However, now that I'm looking at my haynes manual, it appears that the evaporator drain isn't a hose, but a tube that goes through the firewall, and you can't access it from the passenger compartment. You have to check it from the engine compartment.

Just make sure you're not laying under that drain when you shove something up there to clean it out.
This will not affect cooling. Condensation is a sign that the cooling system is working because the evaporator is pulling out the humidity in the air. The only way condensation could keep it from cooling is if the evaporator box was completely filled with water, in which case there would be no air flow at all.

OP, most likely its the expansion valve. Have you been able to get a pressure reading on the high side?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:47 PM

If you dont have access to a high pressure gauge then use the one you have and rev the engine up to about 2500~3000 rpms and see if the needle drops down into a vacuum(below zero) . if so , probably expansion valve.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 PM

i am having the same problem. i have tried a couple suggestions and nothing has helped. the fans are working and my belts are fine. but no cold air.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by Xfactor22
i am having the same problem. i have tried a couple suggestions and nothing has helped. the fans are working and my belts are fine. but no cold air.
Have you checked the refrigerant pressures? If so, what were they with the AC compressor running and with it not?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
The only way condensation could keep it from cooling is if the evaporator box was completely filled with water, in which case there would be no air flow at all.

?
Which is exactly what I said - if that tube gets plugged, the evaporator box fills up with water. It happened to my old datsun, my old subaru, and my friends old Honda. It happens to old cars, and our cars are old now. When I cleared the tube on all of these cars, almost a half-gallon of water drained out.

Its a cheap, easy place to start, rather than going to a shop or dealer who's gonna try to do an expansion valve job up front for a couple hundred dollars.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:10 AM

Have you checked the refrigerant pressures? If so, what were they with the AC compressor running and with it not?
thanks for the suggestion, ill check once it stops raining.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by shudson
Which is exactly what I said - if that tube gets plugged, the evaporator box fills up with water. It happened to my old datsun, my old subaru, and my friends old Honda. It happens to old cars, and our cars are old now. When I cleared the tube on all of these cars, almost a half-gallon of water drained out.

Its a cheap, easy place to start, rather than going to a shop or dealer who's gonna try to do an expansion valve job up front for a couple hundred dollars.

The OP said the air didnt get cold, not that he had no air blowing. There wouldnt be any airflow at all if the evaporator box was filled with condensate. I have no doubts that the drain tube could probably use a good cleaning. Hell, if it was my car I would recover the refrigerant, pull the evaporator box, and give it a good cleaning and disinfecting(Done it twice).

Most likely whats going on is the TXV is clogged/sticking, or theres a bad valve seal inside the compressor. Not a fun job to fix but not hard to fix. If the compressor turns out to be bad then I would go ahead and replace the TXV and receiver drier while I'm at it...clean the evaporator coil, pull a vacuum, charge it up and enjoy cold, clean-smelling air.

Last time I did this was in my 99. On a 102 degree day and the car running at idle I had 42 degree air coming out of the vents.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Most likely whats going on is the TXV is clogged/sticking, or theres a bad valve seal inside the compressor. Not a fun job to fix but not hard to fix. If the compressor turns out to be bad then I would go ahead and replace the TXV and receiver drier while I'm at it...clean the evaporator coil, pull a vacuum, charge it up and enjoy cold, clean-smelling air...
Please decode "TXV"...

I have yet to check high side pressure. I think I might try to but I don't have manifold gauges. No matter what I do, I can't get pressure to budge once the car has started. It only changes when compressor is switched on or off...
Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Just the tip.

TXV is just and acronym for Thermal Expansion Valve.

Let me see if I got this right... You were adding refrigerant to the system with the compressor engaged and the car running but the suction pressure didnt change? It only changed when the AC was on or off?...between 30-55psi?

Just going by this, without a reading on the highside, it sounds like one of three possible things.
1. Expansion valve stuck/closed/not functioning properly.
2. Clogged receiver drier.
3. Bad valve seals internal to the compressor.
Its hard to pinpoint what exactly could be the problem without accurate pressure and temperature readings. I'd hate to tell you it's one thing and it turn out to not fix it. However I will tell you that if you decide to replace the compressor go ahead and change the expansion valve and receiver drier at the same time. When you have it charged up with refrigerant make sure a good vacuum is pulled on the system to evacuate any air and moisture that may be in the lines.
I wish I could help you more, but without physically looking at your car this is the best I can do.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

need a high pressure reading..otherwise we're all guessing.
i agree that it's probably expansion valve.