4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

JDM Power fold mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:34 PM

JDM Power fold mirrors

Swapping power mirrors for jdm power fold mirrors

I've searched and found hints but no definite answers (feel free to post links to prove me wrong )

I haven't looked at the wiring behind my current switch or at the mirror wiring on the door yet because I'd have to remove the door trim etc and I only want to do it once - when I'm installing it.

I have the mirrors and I have the switch.. I've read some threads that say you just pop out the old switch and pop in the power fold switch.. True/False? It looks like from the back of the switch (in pic) there are 4 extra pins that control the fold .. will my stock wiring have the plug for that or do I need to add in wires.. whats the pin out if so?

A32 Powerfolding Switch Front

A32 Powerfolding Switch Rear

Last edited by killerVQ30DE; 04-02-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:54 PM
No more Maximas...

It should just pop in, yes.

The car won't have the wiring, since it was never a USDM option.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
It should just pop in, yes.

The car won't have the wiring, since it was never a USDM option.
Soo.. whats the pinout for the 4-pins on the back of the switch? I can run wires from the back of the switch using the below conenctors once I know that

Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 AM

So, how'd you end up hookin this up? I haven't had any success finding a write-up on it.

Also, do you have a part # for the JDM switch?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

guys, if your side mirrors are from a right hand drive cars, you wont be able to see anything on the left side no matter how you adjust it. I've done it long time ago but, it's not worth the effort nor the money. But, if you can buy the side mirrors from a left hand cars from another country i.e. Philippines, Malaysia and Taiwan?. It has to be the cefiro brougham VIP though since it's the only one that I know that came with power folding mirrors.
If you are interested on looks alone...then, it wont matter. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by silver i30
guys, if your side mirrors are from a right hand drive cars, you wont be able to see anything on the left side no matter how you adjust it. I've done it long time ago but, it's not worth the effort nor the money. But, if you can buy the side mirrors from a left hand cars from another country i.e. Philippines, Malaysia and Taiwan?. It has to be the cefiro brougham VIP though since it's the only one that I know that came with power folding mirrors.
If you are interested on looks alone...then, it wont matter. Good luck.
What on earth does RHD and LHD have anything todo with this mod? He just wants the mirrors to fold away for safe keeping while parked lol
Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
What on earth does RHD and LHD have anything todo with this mod? He just wants the mirrors to fold away for safe keeping while parked lol
Well mind fold away, just not power-folding (yet)

I think he was sayin that if I'm sourcing JDM mirrors to swap out with my own. I didn't think you had to swap out mirror itself though? Unless the folding motor is located within the JDM mirrors?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
because on the right hand drive(JDM mirrors) when you are driving , you will not see anything. No matter how much you adjust it.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM

The mirror on the passenger side is slightly parabolic, while the other one is not. That is what silver is referring to. SO if you get mirrors from a car where the wheel is on the other side, then the mirrors will be flipped, and you will have a hard time seeing properly. =)
Old 05-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by silencecalls
The mirror on the passenger side is slightly parabolic, while the other one is not. That is what silver is referring to. SO if you get mirrors from a car where the wheel is on the other side, then the mirrors will be flipped, and you will have a hard time seeing properly. =)
Makes sense, didnt know that
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM

If your not understanding, try this little exercise. Sit on the passenger side or your left drive car and look into the passenger side mirror. You will see nothing but your door. Your range of adjustment will be from your door to the rear door. you will not see behind you.

If you put RHD mirrors on a LHD car you will get the same effect sitting in the driver side. It is the angle the mirror is mounted at.

Silver i30 sounds like he has the answer.

If a cop is following you and cant see your face in the mirror, he might write you a fixit ticket.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM

I want these lol just don't kno where to find them
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

silencecalls and asand1 got it right.
i can't stress this enough, doing this mod is just a waste of money and time.
since i can't return them, i spent a lot of time trying to modify the mirrors, adjusting the range of motion on the gearing and went as far as trying to swap the motors. in the end, i gave up. it was just too much work for a cool factor.
buy the proper ones and be done with it. just make sure it came from those countries that the cars are LHD .
Old 05-13-2011, 09:36 AM

It is my understanding that most of the JDM power mirrors for other cars do not have the heated function and i was wondering if that is true about this one also
Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 AM

In the Honda world with these type of mirrors all you gotta do is swap the mirror lens itself, they should just pop off or heat them up slightly an get the glue to be pliable enough to remove the mirror. The swap out your usdm mirrors an reattach them to the housing but that's on hondas so I'm not sure if it's the same with us or not.

An personally to me, it's not a waste of time or money! I would love these for my max but can't find them anywhere
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Ya i dont think id fork over the money on such an old car but just a thought for the next car ill own...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

(In the Honda world with these type of mirrors all you gotta do is swap the mirror lens itself, they should just pop off or heat them up slightly an get the glue to be pliable enough to remove the mirror. The swap out your usdm mirrors an reattach them to the housing but that's on hondas so I'm not sure if it's the same with us or not.)

for your mirrors to be power folding, you have to swap the whole unit and not just the mirrors. the problem lies in the motor, the gears for the left side mirror has limited amount of movements.
using mirrors from RHD cars will have the same problem if you try install it on our cars.

(An personally to me, it's not a waste of time or money! I would love these for my max but can't find them anywhere.)

try googling cefiro brougham VIP and nissan excimo. these are the cars comparable to the maximas here in the US.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by silver i30
try googling cefiro brougham VIP and nissan excimo. these are the cars comparable to the maximas here in the US.
Are these LHD? Also, as previously asked, anyone know if they had the heated mirrors option as well?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Are these LHD? Also, as previously asked, anyone know if they had the heated mirrors option as well?
not necessarily. it depends on the countries they shipped to or made. i am definite about the philippines being LHD but got it mixed up with malaysia and taiwan.
about the heated mirror, i would think they are not available in those countries since all 3 of them are in the tropics. i might be wrong. i'll ask around and post back.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 PM

i also have these waiting for a write up