4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Door lock/unlock PROBLEM!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:20 AM

Door lock/unlock PROBLEM!!!

First of all, what the hell is wrong with the search? I was trying to find some simple stuff and for the past month I can't get anything. It gives me every single topic discussed from the whole forum.

Now to the issue at hand. Tonight I was at a friend house and it started misting. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but....

MY DOORS WON'T UNLOCK! When I press the unlock button they unlock and lock back up right away. I was finally able to get in the car and come home and nothing seems to unlock the doors and keep them that way. If I use the key, remote, button on the inside of door, its all the same. they won't stay unlocked even for a second.

When I got home and I forced my way out of the car as the door was open without me doing anything the doors started unlocking and locking themselves.

WTF is wrong? Please help!

I have lived in much more wet conditions so I don't think its the rain that caused that.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:13 AM

I have had the same problem too, tho not as bad as yours sounds..lol..I unlocked mine, and about 2-3 seconds later they would all lock again. And sometimes they just lock out of no where...it's really odd. Did these cars ever come with a locking feature that auto locked when going over speeds of say 20-30km/h?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sometimes the rods can stick and cause a problem. since the passenger side will lock all doors start there making sure the lock rods are free.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 AM
tastey wheat

definitely a bad solenoid. If they stick in one position they can throw the rest off, start by unplugging the passenger side door lock switch harness and see if that fixes it, if not, you may need to take the door panels off and unplug/replug each solenoid one by one to find the bad one..
Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 AM

P.S. go to "advanced" when searching and change the sort by to "Most relevant" or "relevancy"

Takes care of your searching problem.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
P.S. go to "advanced" when searching and change the sort by to "Most relevant" or "relevancy"

Takes care of your searching problem.
Thanks, the search function (or lack of) was driving me crazy too. Not sure why the default would not be "most relevant", but oh well...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 AM
The Golden One

One of two things is probably causing your issue.

1) Lock Actuator. This is located inside the metal confines of the door pretty much behind where the light for the door panel is. It's a PITA to get to and remove (took me a good 40 minutes cause my hands are large). All the metal rods connect to it.

2) You're switch(s) is/are busted. Notice if you have one of your doors open and try to lock with the master switch, it will not allow you too. It'll start locking then unlock.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Thanks, the search function (or lack of) was driving me crazy too. Not sure why the default would not be "most relevant", but oh well...
Yeah I don't know, it's kinda dumb.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
One of two things is probably causing your issue.

1) Lock Actuator. This is located inside the metal confines of the door pretty much behind where the light for the door panel is. It's a PITA to get to and remove (took me a good 40 minutes cause my hands are large). All the metal rods connect to it.

2) You're switch(s) is/are busted. Notice if you have one of your doors open and try to lock with the master switch, it will not allow you too. It'll start locking then unlock.
^^^ for #2. they WILL NOT UNLOCK at all. usually that I could do that and shut the door though. When I first got the car I didn't have any remotes for it so that's how I locked the doors every time.

So do I have to remove the door panel to try all this stuff with the actuators and rods? If that's the case FML.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by mendon99
definitely a bad solenoid. If they stick in one position they can throw the rest off, start by unplugging the passenger side door lock switch harness and see if that fixes it, if not, you may need to take the door panels off and unplug/replug each solenoid one by one to find the bad one..
are you talking about the switch on the drivers door?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
tastey wheat

Yeah, forgot theres no power lock switch on the pass. door. You're going to have to take the door panels off and unplug each actuator 1 by 1.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:31 AM

shiz. how come that happened just from sitting for a couple of hours? Every time I have time for fun and play something happens that takes all of my resources.
I wish I had more money and a newer car.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:46 AM
The Golden One

It's not hard to remove the door panel. I can do it under 5 minutes.

Two screws on the bottom. Pop out the little cover in the door cup, take out screw. Pop out the cover near the handle. 10mm bolt to be removed there. Take out the door switch.

Remove door panel. Go to work on actuators.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Set it to Relevancy, then save your search settings. That should allow you to get the proper search results through the basic search box.

Personally, I always use the advanced search...just easier overall.

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
Did these cars ever come with a locking feature that auto locked when going over speeds of say 20-30km/h?
Nope. Not USDM models, anyway. Pretty sure Canadians didn't either.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 AM

I hate to spend my time on that right now is what I am saying. I have taken plenty of door panels off. Plus the weather aint that great right now.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by djipka
Now to the issue at hand. Tonight I was at a friend house and it started misting. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but....

MY DOORS WON'T UNLOCK!
did rain get into the lock switch---was the window down for a while? if so be
sure water isn't crossing the circuits. just a thought.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM

it fixed itself. today when I first went out and tried to get int he car it was the same shiz. by the time I got back home it was working properly. I would love to know wtf happened.

when the weather gets better I will investigate
Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 PM

update.

it started again. I took off the switch from the drivers door and only that door was disconnected from the rest. so the problem is not there.

my car has been stolen in the past and the passenger door handle does not fit perfectly in. I think there is a slight chance some water found its way in. that is still weird because here in Utah what they call rain is what we call mist or sprinkle in Arkansas. My car has seen the real stuff as it spent all of its life in Texas, Arkansas, and Tennessee.

Last edited by djipka; 04-10-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 AM

ok. where is the fuse for the power locks? I will pull that sucka out until I have time to fix the problem. This is pissing me off
Old 04-10-2009, 01:28 PM
The Golden One

It should be under the dash.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by djipka
update.

it started again. I took off the switch from the drivers door and only that door was disconnected from the rest. so the problem is not there.

my car has been stolen in the past and the passenger door handle does not fit perfectly in. .
i'm still leaning toward the rods binding, check that doors rods, from handle to interior lock. check all
Old 04-11-2009, 01:37 AM

the same thing today. sometimes it will work just fine and then later it messes with me. I don't have time right now to play with it. at least the car runs and takes me where I need to go.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 PM

Door locks back

I have the same problem, no rain or water - just started out of the blue. Try to unlock passenger door with key, with handle inside, with switch - sounds like it unlocks and then re-locks instantaneously.

Disconnected electrical power from battery figuring I could at least open the door manually - nothing doing.

Man, a person could die inside this car if other doors did the same thing.

So it would seem that problem is the rods in the door. I have had other panels off no sweat - but I was always able to do that with the door open. With it locked solid shut its going to be a real booger.

Any suggestions on how to do that with the door welded shut would be appreciated. Really hate to rip the plastic and cardboard panel into pieces but that may be my only way in without access to the screws at the bottom of the panel.

In the old days you could always GET OUT of a car - doors locked or not. This is the first time my beloved max has made me regret having it.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:43 PM

i have sold door actuators to a person who had the same problems stated above, change your door actuator
Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM

mine is doing better. it only locks sometimes at start-up, but no problems getting in and out of the car. knock on wood
Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 AM

haha. an evil spirit has taken over your car
Old 04-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Door Lock Override?

Door is still locked closed. I have the panel off, can see part of the latch, and can manually manipulate the rods. How can I override the latch to get the door open and remove the assembly?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM

can you move the rod on the actuator in & out by hand or with pliers? can you move the lock lever rod back & forth?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 AM

I have the same problem (though on a 5thgen).
my driver door wont open.
my mechanic got a mini camera in the door, seems like my latch is rusty. the rod attached to the unlock **** cannot reach its "unlocked" position, the best it does is halfway between "locked" and "unlocked".

How can I open my door to replace the latch?

I tried to get to the rods by removing handle/window switches panel, but it is still very far from the latch.

What is the axact mechanism, to I need to force the rod IN the latch? I do not want to destoy my door panel just to change a freeking latch...