4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How get at circuit breakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:53 PM

How get at circuit breakers?

I am tracing a very difficult parasitic current drain problem in my 1998 Max. I have paid $2000 to the Nissan dealer and another shop, but they could not solve the problem.

One element may be the 35 mA that is leaking through the 30 amp fusible link labeled "Power Window" -- although it also involves other devices such as the power seat.

The FSM says the circuit breakers are at the ends of the dash. I can't see or identify them.

I did use the window and seat switches to move things around, but the drain did not go away. Before pulling individual window and other switches, I would like to check out the common elements, and the breaker is the most common element I can think of.

Please help me locate the breakers and suggest the easiest way to remove them for testing or testing them in place.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:19 PM

ther isnt any circuit breakers on the car.. what u need to probably do is put an ammeter in series with the positive side of the battery and then begin unplugging stuff one by one... so try the seats frist the plug is underneath the seat then you can try unplugging the window motors right at the motor itself, u gonna have to remove the door panel first..

that's what i would recommend seems like the tards at the dealer dont know how to troubleshoot..
Old 04-17-2009, 02:58 PM

The FSM at page EL 200 (and elsewhere) clearly shows that Circuit Breaker 2 is next in the circuit after the Fusible Link.

See also the circuit diagram at EL 6 that shows both Circuit Breakers 1 and 2 in the wiring diagram.

What the FSM doesn't tell me is where precisely those circuit breakers are located in the car, and the best way to remove them or test them in place.

I still need help with that, since the circuit breaker could be the sole cause of the current leak that registers at the fusible link.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 PM

i believe the circuit breakers the fsm is talking about is inside the motor itself. like power window motors, windshield wipers, motorised seats, they have breakers incase the overheat (from overloading them when they reach the end of their travel)

I could be wrong.

but best way would be what somebody said and use an ameter, start at fuse boxes, take one fuse out at a time and plug the amter in to find your parasitic loss.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:17 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Mad Medicine
i believe the circuit breakers the fsm is talking about is inside the motor itself. like power window motors, windshield wipers, motorised seats, they have breakers incase the overheat (from overloading them when they reach the end of their travel)

I could be wrong.

but best way would be what somebody said and use an ameter, start at fuse boxes, take one fuse out at a time and plug the amter in to find your parasitic loss.
No. There are two circuit breakers underneath the dash.

OP:

IIRC you just have to drop the fuse box to get at them.