4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

where to go next

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009 | 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by peppers
the varried plug gap is something that i read about and am giving it a go with some of my friends on different engines to see how it responds. its a platnum 2 spark plug with one side properly gapped, and the other side slightly larger. the idea is more spark travel to higher rpm. to be honest i think its a load of crap. i wont really know until i get a chance to hit the dyno.

and also id like to say thank you, i have learned a bit more about nissans thanks to your posts. i cant say i havent had fun with all my gm's but driving the max definitly puts a smile on my face.
No one learns from talking, we learn from listening, that's my philosophy.
I'm happy I could help.

As far as the 'varied plug gap' are you saying from the negative electrode center (end) to the 90* bend is a different gap? or parralelly on the ground electrode the gaps are different across the width of the ground electrode?
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you mean, never heared of this and I can't find any info on it.

I wouldn't call any spark settings B/S, maybe not effective, but look at Indexing, everyone thought that was B/S, but it's proven to create increases as much as 10% as opposed to just screwing the plugs in. Of course proper torque has quite a bit to do with it as well.
Old 05-01-2009 | 04:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
No one learns from talking, we learn from listening, that's my philosophy.
I'm happy I could help.

As far as the 'varied plug gap' are you saying from the negative electrode center (end) to the 90* bend is a different gap? or parralelly on the ground electrode the gaps are different across the width of the ground electrode?
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you mean, never heared of this and I can't find any info on it.

I wouldn't call any spark settings B/S, maybe not effective, but look at Indexing, everyone thought that was B/S, but it's proven to create increases as much as 10% as opposed to just screwing the plugs in. Of course proper torque has quite a bit to do with it as well.
He said Platinum 2s. I assume he means the +2's, which are Bosch plugs.

That alone is a
Old 05-01-2009 | 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
He said Platinum 2s. I assume he means the +2's, which are Bosch plugs.

That alone is a
oh my No man please take those out stop killing the VQ. and thanks Pmohr

And having the ground electrodes to the side as opposed the the bottom will cause the electrodes to wear MUCH faster, and you're completely destroying the propogation in the cylinders. A multi-ground plug will not perform any better and may actually perform worse than a traditional plug, unless the engine is designed for a multiple ground plug such as some rotary engines.

you're also going to run a much higher risk of misfiring, and misfiring with modern engines is not permissible at all, it causes increased emissions, reduced engine performance, and damage to the catalytic converter.
Old 05-01-2009 | 09:03 PM

yes that is the plug. picture a standard plug with a gap of lets say .50 add another point to it and make that gap .55 thats the therory behind it. i havent had any miss fires in 8000 miles. she runs pretty strong. i just did a few mods at once so i cant really tell how much it helped if not at all. from 4000 to 6000 rpm it does fell good though.
Old 05-02-2009 | 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by peppers
yes that is the plug. picture a standard plug with a gap of lets say .50 add another point to it and make that gap .55 thats the therory behind it. i havent had any miss fires in 8000 miles. she runs pretty strong. i just did a few mods at once so i cant really tell how much it helped if not at all. from 4000 to 6000 rpm it does fell good though.
I think you mean 0.050"
and by adding 'another point' I assume you mean adding another ground, but that does nothing at all to alter the spark, the arc will travel from one point to another, 2 grounds does not make it spark in 2 directions.

I still don't get how this is 'variable spark gap' because to me it just looks like 2 grounds.
Old 05-02-2009 | 04:09 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I think you mean 0.050"
and by adding 'another point' I assume you mean adding another ground, but that does nothing at all to alter the spark, the arc will travel from one point to another, 2 grounds does not make it spark in 2 directions.

I still don't get how this is 'variable spark gap' because to me it just looks like 2 grounds.
Doesn't everyone use a half inch gap?

He's referring to gapping both ground straps differently. By 'add another point', and referring earlier to 'picture a standard plug', I guess he just didn't notice the pic I posted that clearly shows what they look like

Long story short, just more of that age old crap, like the tornado 'fuel saver', magnets on the gas lines, etc.
Old 05-02-2009 | 07:11 PM

yea im thinking its not doing anything. or if it is its only minute on the top end. i read it in 5.0 i belive. i was at the dr's office and unfortunitly he is a ford guy fortunitly since he is a ford guy he is used to fixing stuff and did a good job rebuilding my shoulder lol. but it was one of the ford magazines. i should know better as a gm guy