4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 PM

Oil Leak

I had my clutch replaced in December (redline MT-90 & Exedy stage 1), and now there seems to be an oil leak. From what I can tell the only place that I can see oil is on the MT shift linkage where the rubber accordion cover is. As soon as I find my jack and digital camera I will post a pic.

I am not 100% sure if it is engine oil or gear oil at this time but it leaves about a nickle size amount on the ground every night. I assume motor oil since one morning the car would not start even though the starter was engaging. I then checked the oil level when was seemingly nonexistent, added oil and the car started. If the car senses that the oil level is low will it not allow the car to start??

Also if anyone lives in Las Vegas and can offer assistance let me know.

(99 Max with 79k miles have only used Mobil1 10-30w since 3rd oil change)

Last edited by DaEnigma; 05-02-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by DaEnigma
I had my clutch replaced in December (redline MT-90 & Exedy stage 1), and now there seems to be an oil leak. From what I can tell the only place that I can see oil is on the MT shift linkage where the rubber accordion cover is. As soon as I find my jack and digital camera I will post a pic.

I am not 100% sure if it is engine oil or gear oil at this time but it leaves about a nickle size amount on the ground every night. I assume motor oil since one morning the car would not start even though the starter was engaging. I then checked the oil level when was seemingly nonexistent, added oil and the car started. If the car senses that the oil level is low will it not allow the car to start??

Also if anyone lives in Las Vegas and can offer assistance let me know.

(99 Max with 79k miles have only used Mobil1 10-30w since 3rd oil change)
I think its a common problem with high mileage maximas like mine, but I don’t know about yours since you have very low mile. Am in the same situation as you and i just had a new clutch installed, and also new my bearings in my tranny. What pisses me off is the fact that this a@#hole who did my clutch, replaced my rear main seal but did not do it right. He had my oil dipstick stuck btwn the oil pan and the engine block, and instead of taking the whole thing off and redoing it, he loosened some bolts and pulled the oil dipstick out. If it aint your tranny seal leaking, its gotta be your rear main seal man. Did you replace it?

Last edited by Dbird; 05-02-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:16 AM

Due to the low mileage and the fact that I did not have any leaks what so ever, no I did not replace the rear main seal and I have no idea if they replaced any of the transmission seals.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 AM
No more Maximas...

Due to the low mileage and the fact that I did not have any leaks what so ever, no I did not replace the rear main seal and I have no idea if they replaced any of the transmission seals.
Have you yet determined if it's engine oil or gear oil? The two are very distinctive.

If you want us to just guess, we could say it's anything leaking back there
Old 05-03-2009, 12:37 PM

no I did not replace the rear main seal and I have no idea if they replaced any of the transmission seals.
For a the tranny seal to be replaced, you have to dismantle the tranny. So if they did not, then you know there wasnt any tranny seal replaced. Was the transmission oil leaking when you did your clutch? And have you checked the gear oil level?

Last edited by Dbird; 05-03-2009 at 12:54 PM.