4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel hose sizes and fuel filter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Fuel hose sizes and fuel filter question

I have been smelling gas in my car for a awhile now and I'm finally fed up with it. I haven't located the defective hose yet but i want to replace the hoses beginning at the fuel filter to the hoses that connect the banks.

Does anyone have the diameter of the hoses and the length? Also, for the clips, as i should replace them too, should i get the fuel rated clips or is there something that can be wrenched tighter that would make a better seal? I would hope to be able to go the parts store then tear apart my car, as is i don't have a second car.

And I was going to replace my fuel filter, does it matter what brand I should get, is one from nissan worth it over autozone?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
No more Maximas...

They're all 5/16" hoses.

As far as length, buy 3 or 4 feet of hose, and you'll be good. The reason for so much is you will cut one just barely too short, and you'll be pissed about it.

Here you go:
Crossover hose = 70mm (2 3/4")
FPR and feed to vacuum gallery (2) - 110mm (~4 3/8")
Filter to vacuum gallery - 200mm (7 7/8")

Total comes out to about 21 inches, for everything except the return line from the gallery to the pipe.

Get fuel injection hose clamps.

As for fuel filter brand, I've never seen any real difference between auto parts store and OEM products.

Last edited by pmohr; 06-04-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:38 PM

do i have to remove the throttle body? or can a long screwdriver fit in and get the two hoses underneath it?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:43 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by fat_kid
do i have to remove the throttle body? or can a long screwdriver fit in and get the two hoses underneath it?
IIRC you should be able to get to them no problem, you just have to remove the intake plumbing to get there.

Can't say for sure though, I dumped the whole vacuum gallery ages ago, just have the lines running straight from back at the firewall to the fuel rail.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

If your smelling gas, you might want to check the O-ring seal on the top of the fuel tank under the rear passenger seat (where you access the fuel pump). If that seal goes bad (I nicked mine replacing a fuel pump), you WILL smell gas inside of the car. That seal swells when exposed to gas and has to be replaced everytime you access the fuel tank. One nick, or bad seal, and your gonna smell it in the car.

Most of the time a hose will make puddles under your car while it's idling if fuel is escaping from the lines (due to the pressure). Wouldn't that be the case pmohr?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Max-e-MO!
If your smelling gas, you might want to check the O-ring seal on the top of the fuel tank under the rear passenger seat (where you access the fuel pump). If that seal goes bad (I nicked mine replacing a fuel pump), you WILL smell gas inside of the car. That seal swells when exposed to gas and has to be replaced everytime you access the fuel tank. One nick, or bad seal, and your gonna smell it in the car.
Yea, those things are a PITA. Get so much as a drop of fuel on them, they swell up, pop out of the groove, and are no longer usable. Can't even count how many of those I went through before I figured out a good way to get it all done without damaging it.

Most of the time a hose will make puddles under your car while it's idling if fuel is escaping from the lines (due to the pressure). Wouldn't that be the case pmohr?
Usually it's very little leakage, just enough to smell it. Similar on the VGs, they're big on fuel smell when it gets cold out, just have to tighten up the clamps.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 PM

If your smelling gas, you might want to check the O-ring seal on the top of the fuel tank under the rear passenger seat (where you access the fuel pump). If that seal goes bad (I nicked mine replacing a fuel pump), you WILL smell gas inside of the car.
I know the smell is coming from the engine bay, it just has increased in smell recently.

Originally Posted by pmohr
Usually it's very little leakage, just enough to smell it. Similar on the VGs, they're big on fuel smell when it gets cold out, just have to tighten up the clamps.

Ive tried re-tighten the clamps, didn't do much help. I haven't seen any leakage of any kind, and my mpg doesn't seem to be affected to a significant degree.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 AM

Also, is their any benefit to upgrading the fuel filter to a 300zx one?
Old 06-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Banned

[quote=fat_kid;7062909]I know the smell is coming from the engine bay, it just has increased in smell recently.
quote]

Might want to check the injector o-rings (there is two on each injector). I had the injector on the #1, or #2 cylinder (pmohr, which one is under the intake and a pain to get to), and it would leak gas until the car got warm and sealed on the o-ring. Till the motor warmed up, I was getting a strong smell of gas under the hood. Changed the 2.00 o-rings and that fixed my problem, though it was luck that I found which cylinder it was (happen to open the hood and saw a wet spot by the injector).

As for using a 300zx FF, it will work and, make sure I'm right on this pmohr, it offers better flow and volume, though the car will only use what it needs and not pull any extra, thus it's not really any advantage other than you can claim you have a 300zx FF.

GL with your fix though.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 AM
No more Maximas...

Might want to check the injector o-rings (there is two on each injector). I had the injector on the #1, or #2 cylinder (pmohr, which one is under the intake and a pain to get to), and it would leak gas until the car got warm and sealed on the o-ring. Till the motor warmed up, I was getting a strong smell of gas under the hood. Changed the 2.00 o-rings and that fixed my problem, though it was luck that I found which cylinder it was (happen to open the hood and saw a wet spot by the injector).

As for using a 300zx FF, it will work and, make sure I'm right on this pmohr, it offers better flow and volume, though the car will only use what it needs and not pull any extra, thus it's not really any advantage other than you can claim you have a 300zx FF.

GL with your fix though.
Cylinder 1 would be under the UIM.

The Z32 filter is just larger, yes. That's the only difference, really.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM

When I had a 5/16 hose it leaked all the time. now I have some that came with the car and I have not bothered to check what size they are, but the one that was leaking I got a 1/4 hose and 1/4 injection clamps.

as for the filter, I only use WIX/NAPA Gold for the fuel one.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:01 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by djipka
When I had a 5/16 hose it leaked all the time. now I have some that came with the car and I have not bothered to check what size they are, but the one that was leaking I got a 1/4 hose and 1/4 injection clamps.

as for the filter, I only use WIX/NAPA Gold for the fuel one.
All of the hoses are 5/16", what did you put a 1/4" on? 1/4" is far too small, unless you spent forever forcing it on there.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:56 PM

Sounds like the carbon canister(evap purge system) hoses may be split, which are 1/4" and allows fuel tank fumes to enter the engine bay.

Cylinder 1 would be under the UIM.

The Z32 filter is just larger, yes. That's the only difference, really.
Z32 filter has a larger filtration volume so it will offer more flow with the same amount of contaminates as a stock filter, so it will take longer for it to be dirty enough to reduce flow.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:04 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by throttlehappy46
Sounds like the carbon canister(evap purge system) hoses may be split, which are 1/4" and allows fuel tank fumes to enter the engine bay.
Ah, completely forgot about the EVAP system...didn't even come to mind, haven't had that in years.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM

I had leaks with 5/16 hoses also, problem is oem size is metric and replacing it with std. size never fits perfectly, it's either too small or too big.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by BluFlame
I had leaks with 5/16 hoses also, problem is oem size is metric and replacing it with std. size never fits perfectly, it's either too small or too big.
5/16" is actually about 3 thou smaller than 8mm hose (.312 vs .315), which is not even enough to worry about.

It's not a tight fit on the 8mm pipe/barbs (given that it's less than a tenth of a millimeter smaller), so there's no real point in going out of your way to find 8mm fuel injection hose.

With the proper size and proper clamps, I've never had a fuel leak
Old 06-07-2009, 07:29 PM

i thought they used 6mm fuel hose between the fuel rails?
edit: its 8mm nvr mind

Last edited by BluFlame; 06-07-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM

I replaced the 2 hoses with the fuel filter and the one hose that connects the banks( the one not under the throttle body) and so far no more gas smell
Old 06-08-2009, 12:01 AM

All of the hoses are 5/16", what did you put a 1/4" on? 1/4" is far too small, unless you spent forever forcing it on there.
I put that one on between the gallery and the fuel rail. its the short hose that connects the pipes there. I fit in fairly easy. I think I might of help it with some lubricant but dont remember. Haven't had any leaks since
Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When I had this problem, it was the hose that connected the two banks. Had to go back and tighten the clamps several times as we went through cold spells. My guess is that is what was wrong. Sounds like you fixed it!