4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Attention: Members Who Have Replaced Starters

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 08:35 AM

Attention: Members Who Have Replaced Starters

This post is for those with max.org members who have replaced their starters.

BACKGROUND:

As we all know the 95 Maxima is prone to starter problems. I have a 95 with 103,000 miles. Just under two years ago (when the car had 80,000 miles) I had my original 95 starter replaced at the dealership with the so-called "improved" starter. Twice in the past week, I noticed that the engine made a rumbling noise as the starter struggled to engage the flywheel. On both occasions the car had been sitting for 10+ hours. The starter did NOT emit a "metalic" or high pitched sound. It just stumbled for several seconds when it started. My car has never done this in the past, so I am now concerned that my starter is about to die again. The car has routinely started this past week without problem.

Having been "stranded" by a bad starter before, I took the car to Nissan. The service tech performed a test on the starter and could not diagnose a "serviceable problem". However, the service writer told me the starter was not engaging properly and that it would fail in the future. He recommended replacement. when I tested his competence and knowledge of our Maxima, he, of course, never heard about the starter gear assemblty "regreasing" fix described on www. motorvate.com and rather blindly (and ignorantly I might add) said, "Don't believe anything on the Internet. It's all wrong" (We should all be glad that we're not as close-minded as this fool!)

Having replaced the starter 23,000 miles ago, one would think it is not the starter and that the service writer was just trying to oversell me.

QUESTIONS:

I have several questions and have used the "Search" function but cannot find anything definitive to my particular questions.

First, I have purchased an aftermarket remanufactured starter from AutoZone (uninstalled at this moment). It has 8 teeth. Apparently, there are also starters with 10 teeth available. The 1995 design is reported to be defective. Does anyone know how many teeth the original OEM starter had? How about the current Nissan OEM replacement part (8 or 10 teeth)? Assuming that I do replace the starter, should I find one with 10 teeth?

Second, does anyone agree with the service writer -- that the problem is the starter? I hate to replace something that is working. Was the "rumbling" - faulty engagement noise just an isolated incident? Am I being overly cautious? As you can imagine, everytime I start the car, I hold my breath.

Third, does anyone think the problem can be solved by "regreasing" the gears?

Thanks guys for your opinions.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:26 AM

My 95 has 121,000 miles on it and the original starter. I regreased my starter about 5,00 miles ago. My car still makes a 'dry' sounding, spinning noise when it first starts up - sometimes. I don't know if my noise is maybe the timing chain tensioner. My starter has never given me problems and my car always starts. As far as the tooth count, I don't recall. I would think more teeth would require a bigger starter gear or a different tooth pattern on the flywheel. From that I would assume that the amount of teeth is determined by the car manufacturer. Hope I haven't wasted your time. I wouldn't replace the starter until it wouldn't start my car.
Maybe you can find out the tooth question by calling the place where you got your new starter and asking them if that same starter comes w/ the option of 10 teeth, then ask if it is listed for use on the Maxima. Maybe it does come w/ 10 teeth but is meant for other cars. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:37 PM

Quick question:

Does the starter "spin-up" or anything inside move at all when the car is put into the "ON" position (while the car is off and not started). I ask because my car makes a deep moaning/groaning noise that i can feel buzzing in the car when it sits out for the night and its around 30 degrees and under outside. When i actually start the car then, it makes the noises again...groaning/moaning...lasts for a few seconds after startup. If nothing in the starter moves at all, my problem cannot be related to the starter. Problem has been around for the last year, and only happens when its 30 degrees and under outside. thanks!
Old 11-25-2001, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
Quick question:

Does the starter "spin-up" or anything inside move at all when the car is put into the "ON" position (while the car is off and not started). I ask because my car makes a deep moaning/groaning noise that i can feel buzzing in the car when it sits out for the night and its around 30 degrees and under outside. When i actually start the car then, it makes the noises again...groaning/moaning...lasts for a few seconds after startup. If nothing in the starter moves at all, my problem cannot be related to the starter. Problem has been around for the last year, and only happens when its 30 degrees and under outside. thanks!
Just a guess, but could that noise be the fuel pump? You can try having someone else try starting the car and you can be obn the outside listening for the noise. If it's from the rear, it's the fuel pump.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:17 PM

Yeah Stillen, that sounds like a fuel pump. You probably get the same sound if you turn your car to ACC but not all the way on. Try it and see. Hope all is well.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:55 AM

No, it doesn't make a buzzing noise when the accessory switch is on. My mechanic friend, suggested we just have it rebuilt by a reputable, local firm for $70.00. He thought that "regreasing" would just be a "band-aid" approach to fixing the problem and speculated that it might be a bad bearing. He also informed me that many of the so-called "remanufactured" starters have simply had only their "defective" part replaced and everything else is still original. He suggested rebuilding because everything is replaced that can possibly fail, regardless of whether the component is bad.

I'm probably better off having it rebuilt and reinstalled for under $100. At least, I will have peace of mind knowing that the part is newly refurbished.

He'd also mentioned that starters often develop problems when cars are driven through moderate level of standing water. I live in Florida where the roads occasionally flood. I haven't used my car as a submarine, but during the last two years I have had to navigate the car through some deep water. It is possible the starter was inadvertently submerged, which could explain why this starter "might" not be 100%. Guess, I won't be lowering my car.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by red112fl
No, it doesn't make a buzzing noise when the accessory switch is on. My mechanic friend, suggested we just have it rebuilt by a reputable, local firm for $70.00. He thought that "regreasing" would just be a "band-aid" approach to fixing the problem and speculated that it might be a bad bearing. He also informed me that many of the so-called "remanufactured" starters have simply had only their "defective" part replaced and everything else is still original. He suggested rebuilding because everything is replaced that can possibly fail, regardless of whether the component is bad.

I'm probably better off having it rebuilt and reinstalled for under $100. At least, I will have peace of mind knowing that the part is newly refurbished.

He'd also mentioned that starters often develop problems when cars are driven through moderate level of standing water. I live in Florida where the roads occasionally flood. I haven't used my car as a submarine, but during the last two years I have had to navigate the car through some deep water. It is possible the starter was inadvertently submerged, which could explain why this starter "might" not be 100%. Guess, I won't be lowering my car.
Water shouldn't be a problem on our cars. The starter is mounted high, right under the maf. above the tranny. SOme cars have the starter mounted low, and those are susceptible to water probs. My rebuild worked great and there were no worn out or damaged parts. That starter is very simple in design.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My starter went out at 60,000 miles and I put a rebuilt napa unit in. Then 2 years later it went out again in the 85,000 mile area. Luckily the napa unit has a lifetime warranty. I'd highly recommend it. Btw... I've bought rebuilt units from the local autoparts store only to discover after I've installed it that it doesn't work. So napa or Nissan for me.

If you have any mechanical abilitys the starter is a simple install. Since I've done it twice I'd bet I could change it out in 20 mins. Heck it could go out again and I won't really mind (cross fingers).
Old 11-26-2001, 12:52 PM

i was thinking it was the fuel pump before, but the sound comes from the engine bay area. i found a site that deals with replacing the fuel pump, but should it really be gone after only 30K miles?
Old 11-27-2001, 08:52 AM

FYI - The Nissan Starter has 10 teeth. I stopped at the Nissan Parts Dept. yesterday to verify. Each aftermarket starter I considered (NAPA, Autozone, Discount Auto) had 8 teeth. I've returned the Autozone starter.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Stillen_I30
i was thinking it was the fuel pump before, but the sound comes from the engine bay area. i found a site that deals with replacing the fuel pump, but should it really be gone after only 30K miles?
No, your fuel pump is more than likely fine. It's just that sometimes you can actually hear it working. I have heard other peoples cars make a noise like you describe in the engine bay. It sounds like it comes from around the throttle body area to me. Maybe you could try Daniel B's rubber hose technique to determine where it is comming from. I just assumed it was a solenoid or something similar that controlled idle. Also, since you say it's when it's fairly cold maybe the solenoid just has to work a little harder to move whatever it's moving. Hope this helps.