4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any suggestions for more 'howto' tutorials? Post them here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:31 PM

front axle(s) replacement including best tools to use, dont forget to mention getting a front end alignment afterwards for all the DIY's and or noobs. this is perfect becuz my 99 is needing 1 bad as im sure a lot of others are too, being that are max's are dealing with midlife crisis now

Last edited by gatorsteeler; 11-18-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
PS belt replacement vid is up. Not the best, may have to reshoot it at some point.
Thanks man...the vid does help. Bought a set of long box wrenches & went at it yesterday but the bolts were too tight & I didn't have any PB so I gave up to avoid stripping the bolt-heads. But yeah you've made it clear that it isn't that hard once you can knock those bolts loose.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 AM

Your video on the knock sensor really helped me out big time!

Videos on replacing the fuel filter and/or cleaning the throttle body might be great too.

If you made a video about changing the front brakes, why not show how to clean the entire throttle body...on video?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 AM

how about the evap canister how to replace and how to clean along with the vent valves?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 AM

Thanks for all your work on these vids!..currently we are needing to replace the antenna, and had thought about a rubber/flexible one.
Also, Im not sure if its been done yet, but a y-pipe removal would be awesome...both upstream o2 sensors have gone out on my wifes maxima at the same time, and I figured I should just order a y-pipe, while im at?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM

I have a suggestion! How about a how-to on replacing brake lines. I don't mean the rubber tube things that are usually upgraded to stainless steel, I mean the ones that run the length of the car. I know it's probably asking a lot, but it's a suggestion.

Thanks for all of the videos by the way!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 PM

ECPVCV

I'd like to 2nd (or 2rd or whatever) the Evap Canister Purge Volume COntrol Valve idea. Having never worked on the exhaust system and being really unfamiliar with it, I'd really like a detailed start to finish on this one.

Of course the P0443 code on my 1995 Max has everything to do with this thirst for knowledge lol.

Last edited by rdw72777; 03-29-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 PM

Would love to see a 6 speed conversion. Or vq35 swap. lol
Old 06-12-2010, 11:43 AM

+100 on 6 speed conversion
Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
What I think might be nice to do is a more in-depth FAQ/glossary. Like, instead of just what every acronym stands for, a little blurb about where it is and what it does.

Also, it'd be great if the How-To stickies were a little more organized - there's a lot of dead links and that kind of stuff.

The problem I have with searching is that i'll get a bunch of relevant topics, but many of them will just be a newbie asking a question, then being told to search for it, or being given a simplistic answer. I was searching for PCV valve replacement today, and while I found what I was looking for, it took me about 20-30 minutes to find, because there was so much redundant information, and it was spread across several threads.

I'd be willing to help you get started on a glossary of terms, since I've learned most of them by now.
+1 on this... everyone loves to tell you to search - but if they SAW the results I get when I search, they may be less '----------' about telling people to search.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
+1 on this... everyone loves to tell you to search - but if they SAW the results I get when I search, they may be less '----------' about telling people to search.
exactly! A million threads on the same thing but yet you cant get an answer bc people say search rather than supplying links. And when the links are supplied, they are usually dead.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:11 PM

Well I've been searching a lot anout 0903 Evap canister vent control valve..(behind the driver's rear wheel)
Looks like it's a common problem. Found some useful stuff but I am still trying to find out if I just can try to clean it and if there is some precautions or thing i should do before removing it.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've been trying to find a tutorial on how to install fog lights on a maxima that never had them in the first place. I have a 1998 maxima gxe. All I have been able to find is how to remove and replace fog lights, not install from scratch.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pgmax518
I've been trying to find a tutorial on how to install fog lights on a maxima that never had them in the first place. I have a 1998 maxima gxe. All I have been able to find is how to remove and replace fog lights, not install from scratch.
don't know if this'll help or not but i searched and found this...
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...og-lights.html
Old 06-18-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
-How to adjust the trunk latch
This could definitely be a good one. I see a lot of 4th gens, including my own starting to get a lot of trunk latch play.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 PM

Great Vidz... I managed to swap brakes, plugs, pcv and ill probably try the knock sensor next. Actually my cel is on and im getting knock sensor code "p03025" and thats how i found the videos on youtube... Little did i know youre a member! I decided to do all the the others first before the ks but im reading the ks cant trigger the cel so im kinda scratching my head! Probably try and swap it anyway.. just ordered from ebay! I got a week to pass cali smog before my tags expire so i got my fingers crossed hoping all this clears the cel!

( gotta finish reading all these dam threads on 4th gen knock sensors so bare wit me)

I was hoping to do the fuel filter before the ks arrives and im kinda stuck... I pulled the fuze and started her up a few till she croaked but the dam screws on the clamps for the hose are pointing towards the firewall and its a tight squeeze for my big hands so i havent even been able to attempt to unscrew the clamps let alone pull off the hose..

I just went and looked at it again just cause im irked and its almost midnight! lol

Anyway if i had to request a vid its the fuel filter replacement and RELOCATING the dam thing... I just got a 300z filter so i guess its just every 30k if i manage to change it but still. Second request would be axle replacing! ( tired of the click click click )

Again thanks for the vidz they were very helpful and the running commentary is great!!!

Where do we send beer!

EDIT: Finally yanked the fuel filter off! Cel was caused by Evap canister control valve.. Cleaned and reinstalled and reset cel an passed smog! KS is next if the code is still there .. I forgot to check!

EDIT 2: Sold that max but got another.. but i did change the KS on the old max thanks to phmors vid!!

Last edited by 98MaximaDriver; 04-18-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 AM

How to on...
fixing a emergency brake so it actually works
Rust removal and body repair
Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 AM

ok i dont know if it was said, but i dont see a video nd i am having some minor complications changing my fuel filter. Ill keep looking around the forums for a write-up but as for now i need this done.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

any howtos on doing an engine pull?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:12 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by hobbez808
any howtos on doing an engine pull?
Heh nope, a wee bit too in-depth for a quick video, honestly.

For those of you not subscribed to my channel (currently at 216, mostly members here I'd imagine) watch in the near future for some new videos.

Finally got an IEEE1394 card (Firewire, iLink, whatever you want to call it) so it's no longer a major PITA to capture videos from the camcorder.

Wednesday I'll be shooting evaporator/expansion valve R&R (which is so ridiculously easy it actually surprised me) as well as the compressor. No AC recovery/evac/recharging since I'm getting that done at work, though. Within the next few weeks I'll also be shooting one of my favorites - the water pump.

Axle replacement is definitely on the list, as well as UIM pull, valve covers, fuel filter, injectors, and some other random stuff. Maybe even an oil change video, who knows. Definitely have to reshoot the coils/plugs video, that one is...horrid.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Within the next few weeks I'll also be shooting one of my favorites - the water pump.

Axle replacement is definitely on the list, as well as UIM pull, valve covers, fuel filter, injectors, and some other random stuff. Maybe even an oil change video, who knows. Definitely have to reshoot the coils/plugs video, that one is...horrid.
Looking forward to whatever you post. I thought that you'd given up on the whole enterprise. Just when you record them, can you drop a few F-Bombs so that we know exactly when to swear when things go wrong?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 AM

I think I can do the oil change one... I think I'm due for one soon...

Have you already done a video for taking the dash/doors apart? (I may be adding two speakers and a sub soon).

Just trying to help ya out!!

Last edited by aackshun; 08-24-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 PM
No more Maximas...

Door panel disassembly is already up there, haven't done the dash yet.

Here's replacing the evaporator box assembly, currently encoding the actual box disassembly video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJASXZU1kQ
Old 08-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Definitely have to reshoot the coils/plugs video, that one is...horrid.
Worked for me.... The bleached look and the horror voice give it character. But the content is all you need to get it done.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
No more Maximas...

Evaporator box disassembly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImwUGWpoi0
Old 08-26-2010, 02:31 AM
No more Maximas...

Replacing the AC Compressor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKulYTlhfeA
Old 08-26-2010, 07:22 AM

I know that there are plenty of threads about the 00vi swap, but they are somewhat scattered. Any chance of Tatanko's site being back up? I've tried to send you a couple PMs pmohr, but haven't heard back...Tatanko told me you host the site. It's the best collective set of instructions I have found and it would be nice to have it for the swap. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:16 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Sicarius_Vis
I know that there are plenty of threads about the 00vi swap, but they are somewhat scattered. Any chance of Tatanko's site being back up? I've tried to send you a couple PMs pmohr, but haven't heard back...Tatanko told me you host the site. It's the best collective set of instructions I have found and it would be nice to have it for the swap. Thanks!
Sorry, takes me forever to get around to my inbox sometimes.

The hosting company took down my account completely, and I've only got a backup of my stuff (and not a very recent backup, at that). I imagine Tatanko has a backup/separate copy of his stuff somewhere, when I finally get my site back online, I'd be more than happy to keep hosting it. Never really planned for this downtime, nor for it being so ungodly long.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the great videos!!
On a side note, will http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...ts_Accessories fit in a manual HVAC control?

Is it plug/play.
S
Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by neosmatrix
Thanks for the great videos!!
On a side note, will http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...ts_Accessories fit in a manual HVAC control?

Is it plug/play.
S
No.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:24 PM

You know what we need, we need a starting issue sticky. Things to check for when car will not start, start and cut off right away, clicking when key is turned, dash lights dim when key is turned,etc... If you need some help putting together along with some of the other elite members on here, I would be glad to pitch in.

Too many no starting threads as of late...let's try and cut that down.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Sorry, takes me forever to get around to my inbox sometimes.

The hosting company took down my account completely, and I've only got a backup of my stuff (and not a very recent backup, at that). I imagine Tatanko has a backup/separate copy of his stuff somewhere, when I finally get my site back online, I'd be more than happy to keep hosting it. Never really planned for this downtime, nor for it being so ungodly long.
Hey, it's understandable. That was, IMO, one of the better sources of 00vi info out there. I've been reading up a lot on the swap, trying to prepare myself for it and avoid burdening other members with repetitive questions. I was hoping to use that site as a reference, so I'll be looking forward to it coming back.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exhaust system tut please. I am in the middle of tearing my car apart to replace the head gasket and am stuck on the rear exhaust manifold. I can't get it out!!!! I am almost ready to set a match the whole car.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:16 PM

What about a fuel pump change?

Thanks
S
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how about a video on replacing and cleaning the MAF sensor and water pump please and thank u

Last edited by jokster; 02-05-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by neosmatrix
What about a fuel pump change?

Thanks
S
That's doable, just have to get around to it.

Originally Posted by jokster
how about a video on replacing the MAF sensor and water pump please and thank u
MAF is quick and easy, I can do that. I've had a water pump vid done for close to 6 months now, but the second (three parter) vid got corrupted when uploaded to YT. Been meaning to get around to it.

Also have an LCA video shot, just haven't imported/edited it yet.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

how about a vq30de rebuild...
Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I did a review on a Harbor Freight Impact Wrench if you guys want to add it to the links as well. I may do one on my other Harbor Freight tools I could recommend to everyone.

I'm a HF nut now!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
No more Maximas...

LCA video is now up. Kind of washed out (nowhere near the coil/plugs video, but still) and the audio is iffy, but it'll do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTIePKbH3hY
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Excellent video, very informative. But I thought the bolts should be torqued down with the vehicle's weight on it?

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for more 'howto' tutorials? Post them here.