4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need to OG guru's to check this out

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:07 PM

Need to OG guru's to check this out

Whats up guy's,

It's been a while since i've been on the forums. I'm actually starting to take interest again in my 98 Max. I recently put a fresh coat of "Alpine White pearl" on her & I'm thinking about doing an engine swap. For the life of me I cannot recall if I am suppose to put a 99.5 model yr. engine in there or what? Here are some questions I need help with.

1) What year engine can i install that makes the most power & is the simplest swap to do. I don't want a wiring nightmare.

2) Will I have to mix and match parts like Axles, ECU's, Etc... And if I do what parts will i need to aquire?

3) How difficult will it be to adapt my factory wiring harness to the new engine?

4) If I decide to convert to a manuel trans am I just opening up a bigger can of worms? Am i better off to just stay with the auto tranny?

Thanks for all of you who can provide input...
Old 07-21-2009, 01:15 PM

If you want to do an engine swap for power, the 3.5L from an '02 is what you want. The 00-01 DE-ks have more power due to the intake manifold (00VI) so if you arent up to a full 3.5 swap you could just swap the intake manifold and the other things required for an OOVI (and then you basically have a DE-k). if you do a 3.5L swap, you are going to have to tear apart the timing cover and convert the the 3.5L timing components to all 4th gen. There is also alot of wiring required then too since all the plugs are different.
This is just a couple of points to think about.
My advice would be to go to the all motor forum and the stickies and research the 3.5L engine swap. Its alot of work...and then if you want to convert to a manual, thats alot of work too but its also in the stickies.

Another thing is if you like the idea of an 00VI, I would also look into a MEVI, same idea, not quite as good but even easier to install.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:39 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
Whats up guy's,

It's been a while since i've been on the forums. I'm actually starting to take interest again in my 98 Max. I recently put a fresh coat of "Alpine White pearl" on her & I'm thinking about doing an engine swap. For the life of me I cannot recall if I am suppose to put a 99.5 model yr. engine in there or what? Here are some questions I need help with.

1) What year engine can i install that makes the most power & is the simplest swap to do. I don't want a wiring nightmare.

2) Will I have to mix and match parts like Axles, ECU's, Etc... And if I do what parts will i need to aquire?

3) How difficult will it be to adapt my factory wiring harness to the new engine?

4) If I decide to convert to a manuel trans am I just opening up a bigger can of worms? Am i better off to just stay with the auto tranny?

Thanks for all of you who can provide input...
A '99.5 engine? So, basically a stock VQ30 with more emissions crap than you have now?

Did you search? All of this can be found through search.
  1. Depends on what you mean by 'simplest'. A freshly rebuilt bone stock VQ30 will likely give you more power than the tired old engine that's in there now. A DE-K is easy, but it involves wiring. A VQ35 is 'easy', but it involves a lot of mechanical work, or a lot of wiring work.
  2. It depends on what you do.
  3. It depends on what engine you install.
  4. That's all personal preference. If you're happy with your auto, then no reason to swap out to a 5MT. If you want a 5MT, then obviously you'd want to swap.

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
If you want to do an engine swap for power, the 3.5L from an '02 is what you want. The 00-01 DE-ks have more power due to the intake manifold (00VI) so if you arent up to a full 3.5 swap you could just swap the intake manifold and the other things required for an OOVI (and then you basically have a DE-k). if you do a 3.5L swap, you are going to have to tear apart the timing cover and convert the the 3.5L timing components to all 4th gen. There is also alot of wiring required then too since all the plugs are different.
This is just a couple of points to think about.
My advice would be to go to the all motor forum and the stickies and research the 3.5L engine swap. Its alot of work...and then if you want to convert to a manual, thats alot of work too but its also in the stickies.

Another thing is if you like the idea of an 00VI, I would also look into a MEVI, same idea, not quite as good but even easier to install.
Indeed. Though I wouldn't specifically say an '02 engine, most any FWD VQ35 will work just fine. And if you do a full swap (the hybrid shouldn't even be considered, IMO), then it's 99% wiring, virtually no mechanical work involves.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:12 PM

How about if I just convert it to a single turbo 2JZ & make it rear wheel drive & use a Infiniti Q45 rear diff & subframe? It should boogie then right? Sorry for the smart remark... Like i said it's been a minute since I've been on the forum. Notice my join date. I just need to take a minute I guess & learn how to search the forum. it's much different since me & Jime used to talk about Nitrous & stuff on here. I do recall reading alot about the MEVi (middle eastern varible intake) if i'm not mistaken this manifold had 2 sets of runners, 1 long & 1 short to broaden the range of the power band correct? low end torque was long runners & short set was for top end pull...
Old 07-21-2009, 02:46 PM

I been using Google to search the forums.

On google type> 00vi site:forums.maxima.org

Oh... and have a camera handy, in case you need some support.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I guess I'm just looking for alittle more power. I did a few mods around 5yrs ago (Hacked Air Box, Y Pipe, Cat Back, Adjustable FPR, Raxles Axles) & the car runs really strong for what it is, but it's time for some more upgrades since I'm planning on keeping it now that I put a fresh coat of paint on her. My original plan was to put a unit on it, but I got caught up building my classic car & my attention just kinda fell off from the maxima.

Maybe you guy's can make some suggestions (performance wise) that would give me a renewed kick in the pants. I mean how much of a gain am I'm going to notice by converting to a MEVI or OOvi intake system? Would I be better off just changing my fuel pump & putting a wet unit on her? I don't know why but for some reason I thought a VQ35 swap would significantly increase the HP? Maybe I got my numbers mixed up, but I thought my VQ30 was rated at around 190hp & the VQ35 was 265hp? Thats a pretty significant power increase between the two engines alone. Not even considering mods like intake, exhaust, etc...

I need some love guy's I've been a way for far to long & am completely out of the loop with whats the new shizznit to do to our 4th gens? Lets just say I got about $1,500 to drop into her for increasing the power. What would you guy's spend it on? Myself personally I would think converting it to a 5spd would give me the most bang for the buck considering motor trend used to rate the stick about 1 second faster then the auto? But I don't even know if $1,500 would be enough to do that kind of swap? Anyways, let me know what you guy's think. The forum is so different from when I used to be religous about coming here.

Last edited by nostrixoxide; 07-27-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by Xservice0183
I been using Google to search the forums.

On google type> 00vi site:forums.maxima.org

Oh... and have a camera handy, in case you need some support.
Why ???? There's a search tab at the top of every page on the .Org.

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I guess I'm just looking for alittle more power. I did a few ......
Boost = lot's of power.

You could sell your 4g and buy a newer Max, or better yet maybe, a 350z.