4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help with programming the 97 Visor Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:15 AM
wxm

Help with programming the 97 Visor Homelink

Does anyone successfully program the 97 homelink visor for garage door openers with rolling code?

I picked up a pair of 97 visor with homelink remotes from eBay, and installation was simple. However, I had hard time to program the homelink. Following the instruction in the How-to posting as below:

(1) Reset the homelink by pressing and holding 1 and 3 buttons --- OK
(2) Pressed down one of the buttons on the homelink and remote the same time, and got the light flashing rapidly. --- OK
(3) Pressed the "learn" button on the opener --- OK
(4) With in 30 sec, got back in the car and pressed down and hold the button that was just sync'ed with the remote ---- nothing happened.

My opener is the Craftsman manufectured around 2004, and I know the opener works with homelink as I successfully set it up for my 2007 Toyota Sienna. Now the question is whehter I did anything wrong or 97 homelink does not support "rolling code".

Suggestion appreciated.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM

I am having the same thing, it seems like the technology of the garage has advanced past the ability of the Homelinks

I tried my garage doors and nothing happened then I tried a gate which didn't work either haha.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM
wxm

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
I am having the same thing, it seems like the technology of the garage has advanced past the ability of the Homelinks

I tried my garage doors and nothing happened then I tried a gate which didn't work either haha.
Misery loves company!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If I recall, te learn button on the opener does not need to be pressed.
1&3 clears it,
Press and hold, rapid flashing light, then hold the remote up to the visor and press the button. Press the home link button again and it should be good to go.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Just the tip.

I had to do those steps and then press the learn button on my garage door opener, not the remote but an actual button on the opener connected to the door. But then I have a Genie Intellicode. Maybe it'll be the same for you.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:54 PM
No more Maximas...

Certain years don't support the rolling code feature, IIRC.

I believe it's '98 or '99+ that does.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Just the tip.

So, maybe grab a visor from one of those years?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
wxm

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
I had to do those steps and then press the learn button on my garage door opener, not the remote but an actual button on the opener connected to the door. But then I have a Genie Intellicode. Maybe it'll be the same for you.
My other two openers are Genie Intellocode which I could not even get the light flash rapidly with both homelink button and Genie remote button down (step 2 on my original post). Do you push and hold your genie remote , or keep pressing it? What year of the vehicle?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM
wxm

Originally Posted by pmohr
Certain years don't support the rolling code feature, IIRC.

I believe it's '98 or '99+ that does.

You, my friend, are correct again. At this point, I am almost certain that 97 visors does not support for rolling code feature. Unfortunately, I have just burned $40+ on eBay; wish I asked you first!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 PM

I can confirm that statement. My '97 had the homelink visor and, as stated above, it would not work. The ones that will work with rolling codes can be identified by the existence of a 1/4" high homelink icon in the button area. The non-rolling-code-capable ones do not have this icon.

When I called a JY for one I made sure that he checked it for that symbol BEFORE he sent it to me. I don't remember if it was from a '98 or a later production '97.

Last edited by jdooley; 07-22-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by wxm
My other two openers are Genie Intellocode which I could not even get the light flash rapidly with both homelink button and Genie remote button down (step 2 on my original post). Do you push and hold your genie remote , or keep pressing it? What year of the vehicle?
Yeah I had to hold down the button. I have a 97.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 PM

Haha I think most garage openers these days have the rolling code and when I tried programming my HomeLink I tried both holding down and rapidly pressing the garage remote while holding the corresponding button on the visor. But my visor does not have that little tiny garage symbol on the visor so I think only those lucky enough to have the little symbol will be able to program theirs.

But strange thing was, that I tried doing it with a Lexus and a BMW which had the symbol (Sibling's cars) and all of them didn't work. And I followed the instructions online step by step... either my garage is some sort of alien technology sent from the planet Zufarius or all HomeLinks are defective
Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 PM
wxm

Haha I think most garage openers these days have the rolling code and when I tried programming my HomeLink I tried both holding down and rapidly pressing the garage remote while holding the corresponding button on the visor. But my visor does not have that little tiny garage symbol on the visor so I think only those lucky enough to have the little symbol will be able to program theirs.

But strange thing was, that I tried doing it with a Lexus and a BMW which had the symbol (Sibling's cars) and all of them didn't work. And I followed the instructions online step by step... either my garage is some sort of alien technology sent from the planet Zufarius or all HomeLinks are defective
I have talked to the support at the homelink.com and we had confirmed that the visor (without homelink icon) does not support for the modern opener with the rolling code feature.

Leo K, what years are your sibling lexus and BMW? I think the vehicle from later 97 on (with the homelink icon) ought to work with the rolling code openers. I was able to program my 2007 Sienna for both my Craftsman and Genie openers, though I remember I did struggle a bit. Especially, the homelink button on the vehicle work slightly different from the normal opener remote. After they were programmed, I had to keep the button pressed for a second or two to operate the garage door whereas the normal garage door remote takes only one press. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by wxm
I have talked to the support at the homelink.com and we had confirmed that the visor (without homelink icon) does not support for the modern opener with the rolling code feature.

Leo K, what years are your sibling lexus and BMW? I think the vehicle from later 97 on (with the homelink icon) ought to work with the rolling code openers. I was able to program my 2007 Sienna for both my Craftsman and Genie openers, though I remember I did struggle a bit. Especially, the homelink button on the vehicle work slightly different from the normal opener remote. After they were programmed, I had to keep the button pressed for a second or two to operate the garage door whereas the normal garage door remote takes only one press. Good luck.
The Lexus is 2000 and BMW is 2001, I obviously got the shorter end of the stick when it came to cars...... but they both have full time jobs... while I just finished school so maybe thats why haha

And thanks for the tip haha I think I'll go try it one more time on the other cars and this time hold down the button on the visor instead of just pressing it. My garage brand is Genie and so if you can do it, I think there is surely a way to program it on to the cars at home. I think I'll give it another go Thanks, haha
Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM
wxm

The Lexus is 2000 and BMW is 2001, I obviously got the shorter end of the stick when it came to cars...... but they both have full time jobs... while I just finished school so maybe thats why haha

And thanks for the tip haha I think I'll go try it one more time on the other cars and this time hold down the button on the visor instead of just pressing it. My garage brand is Genie and so if you can do it, I think there is surely a way to program it on to the cars at home. I think I'll give it another go Thanks, haha
Ya, check the instruction at homelink.com, you can get a video or written instruction once you enter in your vehicles' year and model. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 PM

this time hold down the button on the visor instead of just pressing it
That really is the secret, a short press does not work. The door opener that's provided with garage door works with a quick press whereas the Homelink requires a definite 1 or 2 second linger.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a problem programming my 97 Maxima Homelink with my Genie rolling code garage door opener. The way I was able to get it to work was to do the steps to have the Homelink ready to accept info.

Unplug the garage door opener. Wait a few seconds then plug back in.
Hit the learn button on the garage door opener.
Then hit the button you want to program on the Homelink visor. (I was only able to program it on my #1 button.)

Hopefully it will work for you after giving this a try. For years I couldn't get it to work, then tried it this way. Good luck
Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 AM

If the visor just has a circular light above the buttons it does NOT support the rolling code feature.

If the visor has a triangular light inside the homelink icon above the buttons, it DOES support the rolling code feature.

If the Maxima is a '97, this is the only way to tell as some later 97's had the rolling code capability, and some did not.