4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 PM

Couple of questions

Hey guys! I got some questions. I was driving my car, and it started shaking.. not alot, but noticeable (since i felt it before, i already knew it was the fuel injectors) I called my personal mechanic and he came by. He turned on the car and took out the connection to the rear ignition coil, and the cars engine didnt sound any different. (The car was shaking and sounding weird, and when he disconnnected it, it didnt make a difference. so that means a soon to be broken ignition coil. Sending a weak spark etc) And i need a IDLE SPEED CONTROL.

Here is my questions

Can someone send me a stock photo of a idle speed control for my 95 gle model? Iv looked on ebay and i saw many kinds.

What other names are there for the idle speed control

Is 6 used fuel injectors good for $100? (ebay)

Would it be smart to drive my car, i hope it doesnt die on me, but the vibration makes me paranoid. (it starts up , driveable and everything)

thanks fellow maxima drivers!

Last edited by zzmasta06; 07-27-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
DJD

Well, first of all, there's three rear ignition coils. Is that all the guy did was unplug one coil and the car didn't run any different? If that's the case the cause may be a bad coil or a bad fuel injector. Did he test the injectors at all? Are there any codes in the computer? And a rough idle can definitely be caused by a consistent misfire so you may not even need an idle air control valve(idle speed control). So if you could give a more detailed description of what he checked or didn't check, then it will be easier for others to help you out. Because you may not need ALL of those parts.

Last edited by DJD; 07-27-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:36 PM

thanks for the reply man. Yes, he checked all ignition coils the one in rear left made no difference when disconnected. When i fixed my car with my previous problem (fuel injector, again) I still needed a idle speed control. I did some research and iv read that people having the same problem as me, conclusion- idle speed control. He checkd the ignition coils, fuel injectors and spotted one. Im gettin a ignition coil, fuel injectors, and idle speed control (id rather fix up all the fuel injectors, so i dont get another problem again any time soon. )
Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 PM
No more Maximas...

If you've still got your main converter, it's possible to damage it driving with a heavy misfire.

By idle speed control I assume you mean the IACV? Check the classifieds, there are a few for sale there now. There's only one IACV that was used on all A32s. If you search, there are many many threads that have pics of the IACV. That, or just search eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=max...iacv&_osacat=0

Why are you getting a whole new set of injectors? What do you mean he 'spotted one' when he checked the coils/injectors?

If the problem is a coil, then why get injectors as well?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 PM

hey pmohr, Sorry, i forgot to clarify that. Well I did some research and heard that the fuel injectors is a common repair for the maxima. My mechanic also said that, and said he would recommend changing all, so i can take care of the problem for all of them in the future. (If not, just have other ones just in case. That wouldnt be a bad idea). he noticed one fuel injector wasn't making the correct sound (he put that thing docters use to check your heard rate in the ears. but this one had a long needle. I also heard it, and sounded really weird.) He saw that the rear ignition coil wasnt sending a powerful spark, and said that would need fixing.

Also, thanks for telling me that the idle speed control is also called the IACV.. i typed idle speed control on ebay and nothing came up XD
Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by zzmasta06
hey pmohr, Sorry, i forgot to clarify that. Well I did some research and heard that the fuel injectors is a common repair for the maxima. My mechanic also said that, and said he would recommend changing all, so i can take care of the problem for all of them in the future. (If not, just have other ones just in case. That wouldnt be a bad idea). he noticed one fuel injector wasn't making the correct sound (he put that thing docters use to check your heard rate in the ears. but this one had a long needle. I also heard it, and sounded really weird.) He saw that the rear ignition coil wasnt sending a powerful spark, and said that would need fixing.

Also, thanks for telling me that the idle speed control is also called the IACV.. i typed idle speed control on ebay and nothing came up XD
The injectors aren't really that common, but with age you'll see more things failing.

If you're getting all 6, at least have him ohm out and check the spray pattern on all of the rears; if any aren't good, go ahead and swap them out. The fronts can easily be done with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers yourself, but the rears aren't as accessible.

Personally I'd just keep the rest as spares and not mess with them; replacing a perfectly functioning part can lead to new troubles.