4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

body side moulding

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 PM

body side moulding

had a question I couldn't really get the answer to in searching. I took off my original body side mouldings from the doors to put aftermarket ones on, but decided to go back to stock. when trying to reinstall the new ones obviously the double sided tape on them was no good, so would you guys recommend to glue them on so they're flush, or use double sided tape which to me doesnt seem that strong. I know this is a stupid *** question, but I cant get them to look right on the doors. Ideas? thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 PM
No more Maximas...

Double sided tape is plenty strong if applied properly. That's what Nissan and their gigantic team of developers/designers chose, and the moldings held on for as long as they did, no?

You could 'glue' them on, but what if you ever needed to replace them? You have to think long term.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 PM

You could try 3M double sided tape, those things hold pretty strong if you clean the area with alcohol and make sure both surfaces are kind of rough.

I had to remove a after market covering on the pillars of my car during installation because the wind blew it on the car as I was carefully adjusting it and I had a hard time pulling it off. And that was just the pressure from the wind.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Double sided tape is plenty strong if applied properly. That's what Nissan and their gigantic team of developers/designers chose, and the moldings held on for as long as they did, no?

You could 'glue' them on, but what if you ever needed to replace them? You have to think long term.
Aright I got ya. The double sided tape I used kept forcing the mouldings to come off and not sit flush in the grooves. I'm gonna try and find some stronger double sided tape then, cause yea you're right I dont want glue on my doors. thanks.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Sold

there are a few different types of double sided tape. Make sure you get the automotive version. It forms a much stronger bond IF you start with a clean surface.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:32 AM

I just re-attached a couple of door moulding pieces that were peeling off my doors. Here's how I did it:

I removed moulding completely from the doors, scraped off as much of the old tape strips as I could from the moulding, and removed any adhesive that was left on the door panels. Then I bought some 3M double sided tape from AutoZone and attached to the moulding first, then mounted the moulding back on the doors.

That tape is supposedly the same as what Nissan used and is really strong. The moulding pieces haven't moved since I reattached them and they look like they never came off. I played with the idea of just replacing the moulding pieces, but if you can reuse the ones on your car, this method is much more cost effective.

After doing this, glue seems like it would be messier and far more difficult.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Anyone just leave the mouldings off? The stock ones are just too low, even lower after I lowered it and I still get an occasional ding. Anyways, looks way cleaner without. Pics would be great.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM

sorry, meant lowered car not moulding.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by dragonboyokada
Anyone just leave the mouldings off? The stock ones are just too low, even lower after I lowered it and I still get an occasional ding. Anyways, looks way cleaner without. Pics would be great.
From search...

95bkackmax18s

More of his here: http://forums.maxima.org/members-rid...ated-pics.html

shavedmax:

Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 AM
No more Maximas...

And of course:

euromaxima:

Old 11-05-2009, 02:43 PM

Thanks so much pmohr! I'm sold. Trying to contact the pic members, but definitely would like to find out what side skirts are on the 95blackmax18s and the blue max up top if anyone knows. Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM

Wow thanks for the pictures I've been wondering about those moldings or a long time and I really want to remove them but I was afraid there would be holes or something underneath
Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Wow thanks for the pictures I've been wondering about those moldings or a long time and I really want to remove them but I was afraid there would be holes or something underneath
there are hole under the molding, and a groove, you will have to a strip of sheet metal to cover the holes and groove, grind flush, then bondo, primer and repaint your doors.

dragonboyokada.. the side skirts you are wanting to know are sarona designs on the blue maxima, and stillen on the other
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
404 - Keyhole Not Found... Color Matched?

On a side note, this is one of the few Maximas in existence that can pull off the altezzas.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by euromaxima
there are hole under the molding, and a groove, you will have to a strip of sheet metal to cover the holes and groove, grind flush, then bondo, primer and repaint your doors.

dragonboyokada.. the side skirts you are wanting to know are sarona designs on the blue maxima, and stillen on the other
Ah thankyou, thats what I was afraid of. I guess its stock body moldings for me