4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

RPM needle on drugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:27 AM
wants an I35

RPM needle on drugs

this happened for the first time today. i parked my car, went in to play poker for a few hours and came back out. it did not rain nor was it windy. there was nothing out of the ordinary going on with the weather.
when i started the car, just the rpm needle fired all the way up to 4k, and then bounced around for about a minute, then came back down to the normal idling level.

to be clear, the engine was not revving, it was just the rpm needle moving.

so the few times ive started my car since then, i have the same problem. as soon as i turn the car over, the rpm needle shoots all the way up to 4 or 5k and dances around for about a minute, then comes back down to normal and works perfectly for the remainder of the drive.

now ive searched and been searching for the past 30 minutes and most of the solutions i come across involve swapping out the whole cluster.

i DO NOT want to do that.

the other problems ive heard causing this are related to the alternator, which is practically brand new. i bought a new one from dave b about 6 months ago (like i do every 6-12 months, because my car is going through alternators like nobodys business....but thats for another thread)

is there any other way to fix this or somehow reset the system without getting involved in removing the whole gauge display?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The cluster isn't that hard to remove, and it's also really easy to swap just tachs so you don't f up the mileage, just don't try to swap faces, I've never been able to do that.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 AM

speed sensor is possibly screwed up??? idle sensor?? did you scan for codes at all??? c'mon dude, i replaced my cluster like 3 years ago and it was costly, i think your problem lays with the aformentioned.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by max ride 41
speed sensor is possibly screwed up??? idle sensor?? did you scan for codes at all??? c'mon dude, i replaced my cluster like 3 years ago and it was costly, i think your problem lays with the aformentioned.
Yes, new oem gauges are not cheap. a used one would be the ONLY way to go, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if the tach itself was just going crazy.

I'm assuming there are no codes or a CEL, or the OP would have stated this (I'd hope so anyway...). Typically if there was a failing sensor, I'd think it would throw a code, no? My first guess would be the gauge itself, just my $.02

BTW, it really isn't that hard to remove the cluster and replace the tach...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:48 AM

you can pick up a used cluster off ebay for like $30. I know when i had an infinity g20 this happened to me and it is a common problem with those cars.

it was just a matter of replacing the tach section of the cluster. The odometer can be swapped too so you can maintain your car's correct milage. Replacing it is pretty simple just a bunch of screws. Probably about an hour worth of work if you take it slow and work cautiously
Old 08-09-2009, 11:10 PM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by mowgli29
Yes, new oem gauges are not cheap. a used one would be the ONLY way to go, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if the tach itself was just going crazy.

I'm assuming there are no codes or a CEL, or the OP would have stated this (I'd hope so anyway...). Typically if there was a failing sensor, I'd think it would throw a code, no? My first guess would be the gauge itself, just my $.02

BTW, it really isn't that hard to remove the cluster and replace the tach...
yea there are no codes. the car is performing perfectly. the problem seems to be purely superficial.

Originally Posted by Feldman
you can pick up a used cluster off ebay for like $30. I know when i had an infinity g20 this happened to me and it is a common problem with those cars.

it was just a matter of replacing the tach section of the cluster. The odometer can be swapped too so you can maintain your car's correct milage. Replacing it is pretty simple just a bunch of screws. Probably about an hour worth of work if you take it slow and work cautiously
so i was at my local dealership the other day getting a part for my cruise cancel switch (refer to other recent thread of mine...) and i happened to mention this to a mechanic there.

he said my "clock spring" had gone bad, and totally shot down the idea that this was just some loose connection.

but, if the part had actually broken or failed, then why does my rpm gauge work SOMETIMES, but not most of the time.

the fact that it works 10% of the time leads me to beleve this would probably be a pretty quick fix - that it is just some loose connection that could be tightened up with a screwdriver.

ive never removed the face off the dash there, so im hesitant to get in over my head. but i would be much more willing to tackle this if i thought it would be a quick fix.

is the JUST the rpm dial replacable without removing other things?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:26 PM

If your car is eating alternators every 6 months I would say there is definitely something wrong with your car ha
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 AM

i had the same problem and bought a used cluster and swapped the tach. its been good since.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 AM

and a used cluster that works right is going to be 125.00 or higher. no way its going to be only 30.00, trust me.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 AM

Hey frank, I have two spare tachs. What color face and needle do you have?

Are you going to the meet in south fl later this month?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 AM

if you need another speed cluster i have 3 remaining
Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 AM
wants an I35

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Hey frank, I have two spare tachs. What color face and needle do you have?

Are you going to the meet in south fl later this month?
i just need the rpm one. black face with white needle.

how much of a ***** is it to change?

and when/where is the meet? ive been out of the maxima circuit for a while.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
i just need the rpm one. black face with white needle.

how much of a ***** is it to change?

and when/where is the meet? ive been out of the maxima circuit for a while.
Yep, Ive got one for you. Check the Southeast forums, title is like "South Florida Mini Meet".

Its yours if you want it if you come to the meet. Else, just pay for shipping. It worked well when I pulled it. Its not too hard to change, should take about 20 minutes for me, maybe 30-45 for you if you have never pulled the cluster before.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 PM
i has college

Originally Posted by max ride 41
and a used cluster that works right is going to be 125.00 or higher. no way its going to be only 30.00, trust me.
I got my cluster from a junkyard for $15. You were saying?