4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What other gaskets needed for WP project???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:01 PM

What other gaskets needed for WP project???

I am not a pro mechanic, but can get around my engine bay. I have changed a couple of water pumps on various GM products and I am planning to change my water pump on my 98 Max and have been doing some research on the forum and I am having trouble finding a complete listing of ALL the gaskets and sealants required for the job. I am more than likely going to change the TC tensioner too.

I am trying to perform this with the write-up available on the forum already, but am on the remaining necessities. I have been looking at the Advance Auto Parts site: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ater%20pump___ and I was wondering what gaskets here are the necessary ones?

I looked at the parts in this write-up, but it seems to me I need more than the ones listed.
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ght=water+pump

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah, from what I am reading, this project seems to have a lot .orgers

If anyone has anymore hints than the ones already posted in other threads, I am more than interested in hearing those as well.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:40 PM

I don't recall using any gaskets - just grey permatex around tensioner and wp covers.
I believe there is a gasket available for the tensioner itself , but I just put back
my old tensioner as is . Did this about 40k miles ago ( engine now at 326K) and have
no problems with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by 7jackmack
I don't recall using any gaskets - just grey permatex around tensioner and wp covers.
I believe there is a gasket available for the tensioner itself , but I just put back
my old tensioner as is . Did this about 40k miles ago ( engine now at 326K) and have
no problems with it.

There is a gasket p/n for the cover,.....did you just use the permatex around that as well?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Q8BallMAXIMA
There is a gasket p/n for the cover,.....did you just use the permatex around that as well?
yes
Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 PM

You will need the two o-rings on the WP(might come with it)

But yeah RTV on the covers and you should be good to go PER FSM
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
You will need the two o-rings on the WP(might come with it)

But yeah RTV on the covers and you should be good to go PER FSM

I don't have a FSM to work from, I have been doing most of my repairs either by prior experience tearing apart things on my vehicles and putting them back togther the way I took them apart (with research, of course ). So far, thank God, I have been able to perform every task so far on every vehicle I have owned without a manual as a guide and never had to go back and fix it twice .... since this is a more in-depth project on my Max, I may need to break down and get one, but this has been the first project I have gotten this on in a long time (the first having to tilt the motor on my 89 Olds in order to change the rear plugs....what a PITA

Anyways, I have planned on getting the o-rings because those are the ones that seem to be where I am having a slow leak of coolant showing up.

I am also planning to do this in my father's garage....I have been reading that many others have taken out the passenger's side engine mount.....is this really necessary?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Grumpy old guy

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...niti-fsms.html
Old 09-23-2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Q8BallMAXIMA
I have been reading that many others have taken out the passenger's side engine mount.....is this really necessary?
I personally havent had to do a WP while in the car but, i would probley remove the mount to get easier access to the tensioner. If it were me i would try to make as much space as i possibly could.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:47 AM

Thank you for the FSM link, never knew this link existed here.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
I personally havent had to do a WP while in the car but, i would probley remove the mount to get easier access to the tensioner. If it were me i would try to make as much space as i possibly could.
Since I am performing this project essentially in a driveway, suppose I will take out this engine mount.