4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Info on changing out front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Info on changing out front wheel bearing

now its time finally to change my wheel bearing out, months ago i went to motorvate's website and found an excellent tutorial on changing it out with some tools that i have myself. but now the website is down, apperantly its been down for a few weeks now. ive been searching the forums here and havent found anyone that has detailed and taken pictures on the procedure like he did. so does anyone know of another place i can see? im trying not to take off the part completly to take to a press.. . as i cant find a machine shop around, unless someone in the north dallas, tx area knows
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Well, you're gonna need a press if you plan on keeping your current knuckle/spindle. If you already have a spare knuckle with a known good bearing then all you'll need is this:

36mm axle
19mm
17mm
7/8 or 22mm
needle nose pliers
flat head screw driver
jack + stands
tierod separator/pickle fork
hammer, the heavier the better

1. Jack up the car and support it with the stands

2. Pull the cotter pin off the axle end and while someone holds the brake pedal down, loosen the axle nut with the 36mm (yes it will be tight)

3. Loosen both 19mm bolts holding brake caliper/bracket to the spindle, hang caliper on strut spring (I'd secure it with some string or wire to keep it from falling)

4. Pull tierod cotter pin and loosen nut with 19mm socket

5. Pop the tierod out of spindle by either using a tierod separator or hitting the
spindle part that houses the tierod, careful not to damaged the tierod's threads, I would put the nut on it to ensure you dont damage them

6. Using a 17mm and a 19mm loosen both strut bolts

7. Pop axle out of spindle by pulling spindle towards you, access to ball joint is gained. Careful not to damage those threads, put the axle nut on while you continue working on other stuff if you need to

8. Pull ball joint cotter pin with pliers

9. Remove ball joint nut with 7/8 or 22mm.

10. Use pickle fork or hammer to loosen ball joint from spindle by hitting the area of the spindle that houses the ball joint, once again careful with the threads and I suggest finger tightening the nut on to protect them.

11. Alright once ball joint is loose from spindle, you should be able to pull it off car with ease, install replacement spindle in reverse order.

Sorry no pics
Old 09-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can use web.archive.org to see the guide with pics on motorvate:

http://web.archive.org/web/200807270...ca/mvp.php/704

you'll have to go to all other subpages by visiting http://web.archive.org

hope it helps.

--
Luke
Old 09-30-2009, 10:54 AM

thanks guys, most likely im going to find a whole nuckle with bearing and all together, ive worked and removed the entire wheel brake assembly before, and ive also changed out the control arm bushings, so ive done this kinda work before, im thinkin changing the bearing out with a new one will last much longer, but just getting another knuckle is the easier job