4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

15th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 PM

I inherited a ruby pearl car just like the OP's from my mom, who bought it late 1994. Its a 95 se. She only had 59,000 miles on it when I got it from her. Interior is near mint shape besides some cuts underneath the drivers seat where I installed an amp for awhile. Exterior has about the typical amount of dings and scrapes of a car that age.

Last edited by ampire; 10-02-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Very tasteful
Old 10-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Naf: That grey leather interior is beautiful man ! To bad you cant get that from the factory I think it would have been very popular ! It almost looks stock but then it looks custom aswell
Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
Naf: That grey leather interior is beautiful man ! To bad you cant get that from the factory I think it would have been very popular ! It almost looks stock but then it looks custom aswell
Thanks, def. I was disappointed that year that the only 2 colors the leather came in were beige (way too light for me) or charcoal (way to dark). But I was pleasantly surprised when the dealer pulled out all those leather swatches in tons of colors, and said I could get whatever color I wanted. I took a chance on the medium gray, thinking it would look good with the black. I ended up especially liking the way it sets off the dark carpeting and black door panels.

My first choice in exterior color 15 years ago was actually the dark (emerald maybe?) green, but they located the red one first. I think had I gotten the green SE, I would have done the same thing with the gray leather.

Last edited by nafddur; 10-30-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:56 PM

Ah yes that dark green that looks black in certain lights. My Max is in that color but with a beige Cloth interior. To me the emerald green and beige (cloth or leather) go together sorta like green and gold.

If I had a decent camera I would show you.
Eventually I want too switch to Leather seats but the door panels can stay cloth.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:57 PM

1995 GLE, Pebble Beige, bought new in Oct 1994. 157K miles today. I can't believe it's been 15 years. Yet put in the key and drive it anywhere with no worries.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by MaxRandy
1995 GLE, Pebble Beige, bought new in Oct 1994.
Got you by ONE month! (or possibly just a few days since I got mine in late Sept.) I do remember the dealers didn't have too many of them at that time - especially the 5 speeds.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Buying a brand new car is an amazing fealing and knowing that your going to have it for the next 10-15 years is all the sweeter.

Got any more interior pics of it nafddur ?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 AM

These have got to be some of the most reliable cars ever made.

I'm gonna check my door sticker later today for my manufacturing date. It wasn't purchased brand new however. It was a few months into 95 as a bank repo.

219k miles on mind.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM

way to maintain a car. Hey wait ten more and u will ahve a antique, i close behind 97
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
Buying a brand new car is an amazing fealing and knowing that your going to have it for the next 10-15 years is all the sweeter.

Got any more interior pics of it nafddur ?
I've only had my 04 Murano SE 5 years (bought it new in 10/04). It still looks, feels and even smells almost new! Hope that one lasts as long as the ole Max.

As for the interior, I posted FIVE pics somewhere in this thread. What the F did I miss? Pretty sure you can see everything in there (except for the trunk, maybe? That looks pretty clean too)
Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Sorry to revive a 2 year old (obviously, my own) thread, but I thought this would be the best place to say good bye. I finally decided to part with my 95 SE that I bought new 17 years ago, the one I dedicated this thread to. The hardest part for me was getting rid of a car that I still loved to drive and was still running so amazingly well. But the body had started to rust in some of the typical gen 4 spots, and before it got any worse or something (ie the original engine or MT) went south, I decided this was the time.

I wanted to stay in the Nissan family since I've had such great experiences with them. But neither Nissan nor Infiniti make cars with what I wanted next - specifically a sporty sedan (or coupe) with a 6-speed MT and AWD. That's why I settled on the (below pics) 335xi. BMW is dumping the current batch of 3 year old ones just off lease, offering them at a ridiculously low (.9%) finance rate. I had trouble finding a one-owner lease return with the MT, AWD, AND aluminum interior trim that I was looking for, but finally located one at the price I wanted to pay near Buffalo. So I drove my Max there from Boston, turned it over for a grand, and am now driving a new (to me) car).

The last several years here have been great. I'm going to miss you guys, but not as much as I miss my Max.

Last edited by nafddur; 11-11-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 PM

good luck with the beamer. amazing cars but their resale values plummet.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
good luck with the beamer. amazing cars but their resale values plummet.
Thaks, GG. But would a guy who kept his Maxima 17 years really care about resale value? I only hope the bimmer is a fraction as reliable as my Nissans have been. My wife's Murano is 7 years old this month, has (only) 95K miles, and still looks, drives and smells (well, almost) like new.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:53 PM

well part of the reason their resale value goes down so quickly is because parts are so expensive for them. and good luck trying to find aftermarket cheap parts lol. you pretty much have to buy OEM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM

Sorry to hear about you selling your Max. If it were me, I would have taken it to a body shop and had the rust damage repaired, and given it a fresh paint job. It must have been difficult parting with a car you had for so long. I hope your new car holds up like the Max did.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM

no interest in g35's or 37's eh...
Old 11-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by WesCTR
no interest in g35's or 37's eh...
I started looking at the G's 4-5 years ago (just before the 35's morphed into 37's), thinking I'd just switch from Nissan to Infiniti. But none of the G's offer AWD AND a MT. Besides BMW, I think Audi and Subaru are the only ones who have both of those. So I sprung for the bimmer.

The CVT is OK for a family truckster like a Murano. But when I saw that all Maximas were being softened up with the CVT, I knew they were no longer for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:05 PM
wxm

I beat you by a month; picked up in August 94. 17 years later, it is still going strong...

Good luck!
Originally Posted by nafddur
Anyone else here buy their 4th gen. Max new in 94? I was doing my fall clean up last week, and realized I bought mine new exactly 15 years ago this month (9/94):

Last edited by wxm; 11-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 AM

Thaks, GG. But would a guy who kept his Maxima 17 years really care about resale value? I only hope the bimmer is a fraction as reliable as my Nissans have been. My wife's Murano is 7 years old this month, has (only) 95K miles, and still looks, drives and smells (well, almost) like new.
finally someone who knows its called a BIMMER... lol annoys me when people call BMWs BEAMERS...
bimmer = bmw car
beamer/beemer = bmw bike
Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by pflicht
finally someone who knows its called a BIMMER... lol annoys me when people call BMWs BEAMERS...
bimmer = bmw car
beamer/beemer = bmw bike

lol i was wondering why the op kept saying bimmer ? i was like , isnt it beamer ?

but op , good look with the BIMMER lol. it must have been a joy being the original owner of a max for 17 years
Old 11-12-2011, 03:12 PM

I have no digital camera or pictures of my car to post or I would. I picked up my 95SE on October 1, 1994 from the autobroker I bought it through. Loaded, 5-speed, VSLD, DJ2 Black Emerald, tan leather, Bose, sunroof. Mostly stock, except for Budget stainless steel y-pipe, K&N panel filter and FSTB. The car is immaculate (no rust as well) and has been profesionally detailed several times. Leather protected once or twice a year. The back seats look brand new. I had a leaky tranny for about 3 years so got the transmission rebuilt two years ago and a new clutch at that time, given the tranny was out.

The vehicle now has 142,861 kilometres on it (88,762 miles) and still has the original front brake pads. The rear pads were replaced about 5 years ago as I froze a caliper as a result of my own stupidity: didn't use the emergency brake much for a few years. Replaced both rear calipers at the same time.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by pflicht
bimmer = bmw car
beamer/beemer = bmw bike
This was part of the test to join the BMW Car Club of America. If you say your car is a beamer, you are immediately rejected. It's been quite a learning experience since I joined this club (like, who knew the BMW emblem is a roundel?)

As for a 95 Max with less than 90K miles still looking good - ddduuuhhhhh! Come back when it's been a dd for over 200K and let's see how it looks. I got 92K and 132K on my original (OEM) front and rear brake pads respectively. I rarely used my E-brake - likely why I went through 2 sets of rear calipers during the 17 years I had the car. I would like to see pictures of yours, Bobo.

Finally, if anyone near Buffalo, NY runs across my old Max, I'd love to know. It would be super easy to identify with that light gray leather interior. I actually dropped it off with the front plate bracket (I never needed it), a FSM in great shape, and a complete maintenance record log. I hope that car just didn't go to a crusher - the saw blades were almost mint. Hopefully it went to an auction, or maybe someone at the BMW/Mini dealership gave it to his kid.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 PM

Given how **** I am about my car, I am sure it will look just fine at 200k. I plan on taking some longer trips in it soon and should rack up more highway miles.

You have more snow in the pictures of your driveway than the car has been exposed to in its lifetime. I live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC and we have mild winters here. When it does snow, the car is parked and has virtually never been exposed to salt.

I had it rustproofed, leather protected and Diamond coated before I took delivery as well.

Good luck with the Bimmer. The only one I ever owned was a 1973 2002tii. It was a great car to drive and handled like it was on rails.

This was part of the test to join the BMW Car Club of America. If you say your car is a beamer, you are immediately rejected. It's been quite a learning experience since I joined this club (like, who knew the BMW emblem is a roundel?)

As for a 95 Max with less than 90K miles still looking good - ddduuuhhhhh! Come back when it's been a dd for over 200K and let's see how it looks. I got 92K and 132K on my original (OEM) front and rear brake pads respectively. I rarely used my E-brake - likely why I went through 2 sets of rear calipers during the 17 years I had the car. I would like to see pictures of yours, Bobo.

Finally, if anyone near Buffalo, NY runs across my old Max, I'd love to know. It would be super easy to identify with that light gray leather interior. I actually dropped it off with the front plate bracket (I never needed it), a FSM in great shape, and a complete maintenance record log. I hope that car just didn't go to a crusher - the saw blades were almost mint. Hopefully it went to an auction, or maybe someone at the BMW/Mini dealership gave it to his kid.