4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Oil Leak

I have an oil leak behind my tire, in front of where my air conditioner normally leaks. What do you think it could be? I know it was definetely oil since it was dark, and it was viscous, so it couldn't be power steering fluid or any other type of fluid, so what do you guys think it could be? I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow since its night time here.

I have 97k on my Maxima, and no modifications, recent work includes starter and intake clean. Last oil change was 3 weeks ago when the water pump was changed, so maybe there's a leak on the timing cover, I'd have to check tomorrow morning.

Last edited by 96WhiteMaxima; 10-13-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Pics of the block would be best to see where it could be coming from. The ground wouldnt do us much good. I can assume that you have a 96 going from your user name and the pic in your profile, that to me means that worse case scenario is that the o-rings between the block and inner timing cover could be gone, although highly unlikely with what few mile are on the car. I say this scenario because my 96 is waiting for me to have time to replace these o-rings as well. Easiest scenario, and hopefully this is it, is that you just have some leaky valve covers. Also, just thought that maybe you/they (the shop) didnt get the access panels sealed up properly from the water pump install. Just get some good pictures of the front side of the engine/under the front of the engine, outer timing cover access panels, and the valve covers.

My .02

NM91
Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 PM

Most common leak is at the oil pressure sending unit on the pan. It's an easy fix and a $10 part.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by NISSANMAXIMA91
Pics of the block would be best to see where it could be coming from. The ground wouldnt do us much good. I can assume that you have a 96 going from your user name and the pic in your profile, that to me means that worse case scenario is that the o-rings between the block and inner timing cover could be gone, although highly unlikely with what few mile are on the car. I say this scenario because my 96 is waiting for me to have time to replace these o-rings as well. Easiest scenario, and hopefully this is it, is that you just have some leaky valve covers. Also, just thought that maybe you/they (the shop) didnt get the access panels sealed up properly from the water pump install. Just get some good pictures of the front side of the engine/under the front of the engine, outer timing cover access panels, and the valve covers.

My .02

NM91
I know I have leaky valve covers, but they have never leaked this bad. I mean they couldn't leave 2 inch spots on the floor could they?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like a bad rear trailing arm bushing. They are oil filled and start to leak in the early stages of failure.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear trailing arm What in tha world are yooou talkin about. I really hope like hell there's no rear trailing arm up front behind the front tire. But anyway, check you oil pressure sender & then again you mentioned the water pump was changed so it may be best to go ahead and check the timing chain cover as well.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MAXC
Rear trailing arm What in tha world are yooou talkin about. I really hope like hell there's no rear trailing arm up front behind the front tire. But anyway, check you oil pressure sender & then again you mentioned the water pump was changed so it may be best to go ahead and check the timing chain cover as well.
Sorry! I thought he was referring to the rear wheel.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM

Try looking at the the front crank seal. Then rear valve cover, it will run down the rear of the block and while your under there you can see the oil pressure sending unit.If its at or below the firewall area the high pressure p/s hose is likely.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 96WhiteMaxima
I know I have leaky valve covers, but they have never leaked this bad. I mean they couldn't leave 2 inch spots on the floor could they?
No, they shouldn't leak that bad, but who knows. I didn't mention the oil pressure switch sense you said it was at the engine front under the a/c compressor, however, the crank seal is also a good idea! Check that and get back with us…
Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem, but i have not had my water pump changed....! Do you know how to fix this? What's the best way to do this? There are alot of difference answers... which one is the right one?!?!?! (sorry, I'm new to the forum thing) IF ANYONE KNOWS THE CORRECT WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM... SEND ME A MESSAGE!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

oh great, sounds like it could be the rear trailing arm of a monster behind the wheel or an internal leak. As if i wasnt confused already. Ive got a oil leak since 01-02 and now it blew a hose and after fixing the hose, its leaking from looks like inside the timing cover. anyone ever heard of the cover itself having rubbed a hole in it? Ive got my motor apart and still dont know where the leak is. grrrr. with all that oil could be a oil pumping station in the gulf. Ill let yall know what it was that stopped it after im through. -even if that ends up being a new motor.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by randy1210
oh great, sounds like it could be the rear trailing arm of a monster behind the wheel or an internal leak. As if i wasnt confused already. Ive got a oil leak since 01-02 and now it blew a hose and after fixing the hose, its leaking from looks like inside the timing cover. anyone ever heard of the cover itself having rubbed a hole in it? Ive got my motor apart and still dont know where the leak is. grrrr. with all that oil could be a oil pumping station in the gulf. Ill let yall know what it was that stopped it after im through. -even if that ends up being a new motor.
From the timing cover, it's the inner timing cover o-rings. if you have it that far apart and you don't see anything, that what it is. those o-ring unfortunately do go bad.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Most common leak is at the oil pressure sending unit on the pan. It's an easy fix and a $10 part.
is it easily accessed?