4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

LONG STORY but..i'm now the proud owner of...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:54 PM

LONG STORY but..i'm now the proud owner of...

a SE loaded auto. yes i know it's a shock to some.
116000 miles on her. no rust (just a little bit by one of the spoiler legs). core support intact no surface rust. ended up paying $500 for her.

here's why:
well it started out as the tranny would just down shift byitself out of nowhere.
now there's no reverse in fact it moves forward in every gear. except park but it still wants to move becuase i can't free rev her.

1st, 2nd, 3rd gear pulls...no problem.
it does'nt go into 4th gear. does'nt slip either.
it'll shift 1st-2nd. but 3rd i gotta get up to a certain speed and then let go of the gas then it'll shift to 3rd.

i noticed the check engine light was'nt on so i went to autozone (kinda hoping it'll say ecu not communicating or something like that) but no i had an egr code.
so i'm guessing the check engine light was blown.

so is the tranny kaput? or is the tcu? also does the ecu control the transmission or does it have a "tcu"?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Grumpy old guy

It has a TCU and the tranny is probably toast. If it's still trying to move in neutral and park and has no reverse it's a pretty good bet it's gone.

Reverse was one of the first gears I lost when my first auto went.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yea stillman reverse and 4th are very common to lose first. Time for the 5spd swap...
Old 10-18-2009, 06:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Hmm, sounds familiar; http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...inda-long.html

If you're curious, tear it down when you replace it, chances are you'll find this:

Those clutches are all bent up because that was the only way to get them apart, they were essentially spot welded to eachother at the creases. In my case, bad set of solenoids let the clutches slip enough to the point the friction material all but completely wore off, and they welded themselves together.

FWIW, I've had four RE4's in my car, and now I've got a 5MT. I abuse the 5MT more than I ever did the autos, but so far it's lasted longer than any of the others has (close to a year now, actually).
Old 10-18-2009, 07:27 PM

yea. there's a site where it states that 97 tranny solenoids wears itself prematurely.
i just drove it somewhere and 1st,2nd,and 3rd was working. earlier it was only 1st and 3rd.

and the damn car is VERY responsive. and what get's me is there's no slipping!!!

and kevin no 5-spd swap.
there's a i30 auto with vlsd. i plan on taking the tranny off of that.
so i guess the 4th gen tranny is no different from the 3rd gen tranny.

and i don't know what color she is, but i will post pictures tomarrow evening.

and how would one go about check the tcu for codes?

Last edited by 1992maximase30; 10-18-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
yea. there's a site where it states that 97 tranny solenoids wears itself prematurely.
i just drove it somewhere and 1st,2nd,and 3rd was working. earlier it was only 1st and 3rd.

and the damn car is VERY responsive. and what get's me is there's no slipping!!!

and kevin no 5-spd swap.
there's a i30 auto with vlsd. i plan on taking the tranny off of that.
so i guess the 4th gen tranny is no different from the 3rd gen tranny.

and i don't know what color she is, but i will post pictures tomarrow evening.

and how would one go about check the tcu for codes?
Personally I'd spend the $80 and get the TSB updated solenoid pack for any 'new' auto trans I put in. And of course you want to flush out the trans cooler and the lines, or you'll potentially be looking at another premature failure.

TCM diagnostics:

Then just count and see which flash is the longest. Typically speaking though, a TCM error will set a DTC in the ECU, which can be read manually or by any generic OBD-II code reader.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 PM

This is why I will never buy an auto. Well that and many other reasons.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:54 PM

cool thanks alot pmhor!! and thats what i plan on doin. so it cost about $80 at a nissan dealership?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
No more Maximas...

cool thanks alot pmhor!! and thats what i plan on doin. so it cost about $80 at a nissan dealership?
Something like that, I forget the exact price but the TSB kit part number is about 1/4 of the cost of the regular solenoid pack.

Here we go:
Originally Posted by pmohr
Ah right, I forgot about this thread.

That's just replacement instructions, the actual TSB with replacement part numbers is NTB98-043.

The solenoid kit cost somewhere under $150 when I picked it up at the local dealer back in '06 or so.

It's a lot cheaper at Courtesy now, though - 31940-80X25, $89.67 each at Courtesy

Now compare that to just getting the solenoid pack itself, without any of the extras they include in the TSB kit - 31940-80X05, $331.72 each at Courtesy
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 PM

sweeeeet!!!
well as i see it it does'nt matter.
because some said the vg auto tranny was'nt as reliable as the ve.
but my ve started going at 150k and that tranny was rebuilt.

the vg (175kmiles) to me was original and i beat on that thing all day everyday.

i'm confused to as why you end up having 6 forward gears when the tranny is bad.
now this may sound like a stupid question but seeing i'm strapped for cash for about a month do you think it'll hold out till then??

i was thinkin bout useing some lucas trans stuff or either seafoam trans tune also till then.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 PM
No more Maximas...

sweeeeet!!!
well as i see it it does'nt matter.
because some said the vg auto tranny was'nt as reliable as the ve.
but my ve started going at 150k and that tranny was rebuilt.

the vg (175kmiles) to me was original and i beat on that thing all day everyday.

i'm confused to as why you end up having 6 forward gears when the tranny is bad.
now this may sound like a stupid question but seeing i'm strapped for cash for about a month do you think it'll hold out till then??

i was thinkin bout useing some lucas trans stuff or either seafoam trans tune also till then.
As long as you don't need reverse, it'll probably last quite a long time just going forward.

You don't always have this problem, just when the clutches get stuck to the steels. The forward clutches are essentially always being applied, hence why it wants to go forward even when in park (if it weren't for the parking pawl, it would).
Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
pmohr having problems with his car ? no way..are you kiddin' ?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM

yea...that kinda got me too. that was his 4th tranny!!
well i'm not trying to start anything but i think the person before the person i bought it off of was young or watever...but she (previous owner) paid $1600 for the car. had it for a month then decided to sell it.

but i think they really beat on the car for it to have 116k on it.

but would it be okay to use either sea-foam trans tune or lucas trans fix??
(just for about a month).
Old 10-19-2009, 05:41 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
pmohr having problems with his car ? no way..are you kiddin' ?
My car rarely runs/drives the way it should, I just don't care enough ATM to fix everything (not to mention no time, working 60+ hours a week). Finally replaced my badly leaking clutch master today after about a month of dealing with it.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:43 PM

despite the year of your car i have a buddy that has a 06 rsx with 50k on it and the clutch master cylinder is leaking pretty bad.

for now i guess its safe to use the transtune till then
Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 PM
No more Maximas...

despite the year of your car i have a buddy that has a 06 rsx with 50k on it and the clutch master cylinder is leaking pretty bad.

for now i guess its safe to use the transtune till then
You could use the transtune, but IMO it won't really help at all.

As for the RSX, they're known for having crap CMCs, they usually upgrade to a Civic unit. Though generally that's if they've installed a higher clamping force pressure plate.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Must be nice... I find out through a forum instead of getting an invite to go pick it up
Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 PM

^^^oh lord.
well two other guys was willing to take me to go pick her up.
they basically fought over. i kinda felt special but at the same time weirded out.

so i pulled one of em to the side and told him well think about it that $10 u put in your tank you just saved.
and plus you wont have to hear you girlfriends mouth either.

besides john the owner kept callin me asking when am i on my way.
i was supposed to be there by 9am. then 11 am. the 12pm.
did'nt get there till 2pm!!!!

and pmohr thanks for the advice.
when kevin said 4th gear and reverse are the 1st to go. i thought about my legend.
i lost 4th and reverse. i use the transtune and the next day i had 4th gear.

i just dont wanna do any further damge but you said that if i don't car about not havin reverse i could go awhile.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 PM

update:
well i was driving today then came to a blocked road so i had to reverse.
so in order for me to reverse the car i have to shut the car off, put it in neutral then push the car back.
so i did what i had to do. started the car up and proceeded down the street.
i get to the next block and it basically did'nt wanna move.

so i slowly made it home. but here's the kicker i now have reverse. anbd reverse works perfectly.

also when you put it in 1st gear you can hear/feel it trying to engage (chatter like)

did the trans kick the bucket??
Old 10-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Awww ****. As long as I've been on here and wrenching on Maxima's daily noone ever informed me of the '97 slenoid TSB........ Humm, I can't help but wonder if that has something to do with a few tranny failures in the past, some of which I had to warranty, damn that would suck. Note to self: Avoid '97 tranny's from the yards.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 PM

also i would like to add that on the way home 2nd gear was "holding". before it would shift from 1st to 2nd when i let the gas go while in 2nd the rpms would go down to 300 the go to 500rpms.
this time it was actually holding.

also when in reverse there's no slip, no chatter, and no noise.

in D you get a noise that sounds like a loud *** supercharger. but when in 1st the noise goes away but when you press the gas the car moves slowly.

well i'm assuming phmor always had the 95/96 in his sig. but he said that he replaced his 4 times?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
No more Maximas...

well i'm assuming phmor always had the 95/96 in his sig. but he said that he replaced his 4 times?
Indeed, went through 4 autos before I 5MT swapped. The first, who knows, it happened a week or so after I got the car, and was rebuilt under warranty.

That one then went out due to the solenoids, and because I didn't know any better, so did the third (an '01 trans I swapped my old VB/solenoid pack into). The 4th, it was actually the torque converter that died but it essentially sent shrapnel through the entire system, necessitating replacement.

Gave up with autos then, cost less than $600 to swap over.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM

yea this tranny is weird. cause with my sable's the tranny went out.

the legend i got a few months out of before it went out, but i would use the transtune.

this one choses to work in any gear it wants and right now it's reverse.
i would be surprised if i go out tomarrow and it works again.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:21 PM

this one choses to work in any gear it wants and right now it's reverse.
I believe our cars are capable of reaching the speedlimit of most neighborhood side roads. I wonder what they would ticket someone with for driving their car everywhere in reverse.

On a more serious note, I am surprised this one would go out with so little mileage. I mean hell, the AX4N in my 1996 Taurus wagon made it to 120,000. My point being, I feel like this one must have been abused or not maintained properly by the previous owner, probably both. That said, have you checked the quality and the level of the trans fluid?

I hear when it comes down to this point, a simple trans flush can sometimes help things out, either that or completely total it for the worse.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:02 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Bamfy98
Wait a minute, less than $600 to swap over? Did you do the swap yourself / with friends?
Indeed, I did it myself over the course of a few months (would've been one day if I had really cared, and had all the parts available).

That includes selling parts I didn't need, such as an extra flywheel, various bolts, shifter equipment, etc.

Got the trans/trans mount/clutch pedal and bracket/ECU/flywheel from a parts car for $350, a flywheel/clutch/shift rods for another ~$200 here on the org, etc.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

good luck with the swap
Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Well since the OP didnt update this thread, I'll do it.

This Sunday he got to my house at 8am, we went to the JY and pulled a NICE lookin tranny from a 95 SE that was t-boned pretty badly and bent the tierod and all so we believe thats the reason for it being junked. Got the trans out, brought it to my garage and we pulled his trans, OMG that think has metal shavings like crazy! You could literally scoop the metal shaving and get a few spoonfuls of shavings!

So we replaced the pan on the JY trans (JY punctures all pans to drain fluids) cleaned it up and mounted the trans to his Max. Fast forward a bit, we're test driving the car...damn that A/T was niiice, smooth shifting, no slippin' or jerkin. We were happy that we picked a good trans.

Alright next day we were in the car and we got stranded cuz his D side axle popped out, turns out the axle was missing a chunk at the end where the snapring was supposed to be. We went back to the JY and grabbed the axle that was originally installed on that trans and problem solved!

Fast forward to yesterday, there's a damn big crack in the back of the trans by the differential and its gushing trans fluid.. its about the size of a Quarter ($.25) and it does have a bit of a crack. The transmission has 45 day warranty and we can go exchange it but I was just wondering if there's any Jimmy Riggin that can be done to repair it such as JB Weld or something like that? I'd hate to have to do all that work again
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Sadly we're gonna have to replace this trans on Sunday... ugh I've never replaced so many trannies in 2 weeks!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:15 AM

We replaced the trans AGAIN yesterday. This one didn't have cracks or holes in it and it's shifting nice and smooth into every gear, lets give it a couple of days to determine whether we rule is as reliable or not.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 PM

OH YEA IT'S RELIABLE!!!
though hav'nt beat on it like i did with my 3rd gen. maybe i've lost my nerve.

the one we replaced has a crack that goes all around the diff...i was surprised the car still moved with the tranny like that.

i'm glad we got it done. i work at a junkyard and they were selling (still for sale) a 95 se 156k miles front/rear end smashed, air bag's deployed, leather torn. they're asking for $1000.

so i show em mine and tell em so far i paid $500 for the car and $50 for the trans (they were gonna charge me $90 for the trans...and i work for them).

so they're kinda pissed about that...i don't care.
tomarrow i will try my best to put up some pic's.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 AM

OH YEA IT'S RELIABLE!!!
though hav'nt beat on it like i did with my 3rd gen. maybe i've lost my nerve.

the one we replaced has a crack that goes all around the diff...i was surprised the car still moved with the tranny like that.

i'm glad we got it done. i work at a junkyard and they were selling (still for sale) a 95 se 156k miles front/rear end smashed, air bag's deployed, leather torn. they're asking for $1000.

so i show em mine and tell em so far i paid $500 for the car and $50 for the trans (they were gonna charge me $90 for the trans...and i work for them).

so they're kinda pissed about that...i don't care.
tomarrow i will try my best to put up some pic's.
Yo I might wash mine tomorrow in case you wanna come over and wash yours too and maybe we can take a couple of pics of the Maxees