4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car is hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Car is hesitating

Folks of the MAX. I am experiencing possible engine trouble. (no codes) First, this has happened to me once before. Poor choice of gas. 93 from Walmart. Normally, it's good gas, I guess it just so happened to be not that day. Drove the car around for the day, went home, shut down and did not start back up until the next day, later in the evening. Then the car started to sputter. Thinking this was the exact experience I had with bad gas during the summer, I put in Stabilizer in the tank. Thinking this would have worked, nope. But, the very next day, started the car and it was fine. (still no codes) Well, over a course of 24 hrs, it started again upon starting the engine. (no codes) Ok. This is what I did for the past two weeks until now:
Changed the spark plugs, Ran Sea Form through the break line to the engine, changed out the air filter, fuel filter, oil change - including oil filter change, too, PVC valve, cleaned the TBI, cleaned the MAF sensor and then still no change.
I was suspecting KS or O2 sensor but I am not getting any codes. Check engine light not on.
Could be timing out, don't know enough about the 4th generation engine. So, guys and gals, can you help this old timer out?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 AM

DOes it stutter at idle? If so IACV. If the Rpms are jumping around then it could Be that the MAF is going. O2 and KS wont cause stuttering. Sounds like MAF or coil packs
Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 AM

Cashoit - it does stutters at idle. Morning and evening, warm and cold.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:03 AM

Also, in drive, it stutters or sputters. Loss of HP too.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
DOes it stutter at idle? If so IACV. If the Rpms are jumping around then it could Be that the MAF is going. O2 and KS wont cause stuttering. Sounds like MAF or coil packs
AND, Rpms are not jumping around, either.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Does it have trouble above 2500 rpm...thats classic MAF issue. Clean the IACV. Might want to check ECU continuity. Read some of the latest threads, ppl been having sputtering issues. And that can be caused by incorrect timing or bad air/fuel mix. That would lead me to bad MAF, IACV, or Coil Packs.

HOw many miles on the car. Might be time to change all. Least u know everything with them is cool. Grab a used ECU if none of that stuff works. Do a search..there all type of threads on these types of issues
Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Might have skipped a tooth on timing chain...but lets try to elimanate the small stuff first
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Does it have trouble above 2500 rpm...thats classic MAF issue. Clean the IACV. Might want to check ECU continuity. Read some of the latest threads, ppl been having sputtering issues. And that can be caused by incorrect timing or bad air/fuel mix. That would lead me to bad MAF, IACV, or Coil Packs.

HOw many miles on the car. Might be time to change all. Least u know everything with them is cool. Grab a used ECU if none of that stuff works. Do a search..there all type of threads on these types of issues
Even my mechanic is pointing toward the MAF. But, I think cleaning the IACV might do the trick as well. Can't hurt. 368K.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM

WTF!!! 368k thats Fawking sweet!!! i love these cars.

YEah man...jus hit the JunkYard and get a used one.

If it was the IACV it wd shut off at idle and not stutter while drving. But it down hurt to clean it too.

the problem prolly is upstream in the Air flow at the MAF. WHen u cleaned it did u use a cleaner or did u jus brush it. There is a how-to on the cleanin procedure. I hear there is specific MAF cleaner too.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:48 AM

Oh yeah! Keeped it up pretty good. It was my fathers car before he past away. I cleaned the MAF with the MAF cleaning spray. Not sure about brushing the screen. Looks fragile. Read the directions and just let it air dry. I have done that procedure at least twice now. I have placed an order for a MAF just now. I am going to also clean the IACV too. I have to hurry and get my order in for the gasket. My wife will be getting off for her lunch break shortly. My car is now in the shop and I am going to guess they are going to say it's the MAF or IACV. I just wanted them to have a look before I started into anything else.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 AM

I hear ya bro. These engines are bullet proof.

Yeah, jus replace it and see what happens. If not that, might be coil packs or ECU. But lets keep fingers crossed
Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Ive been having some stuttering recently too. Its been cold so i let it warm up and it doesnt do it at a predictable time. But it will stutter and hesitate while im just cruising in 4th gear. Its only on the way to work, it has been fine, knock on wood, when i drive home. maybe plugs? i have 124k on the car. any suggestions are appreciated
Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Jus to be clear...its not "searching" or taking a lil while to switch gears? Is it an auto? There was a thread on this pheonomon. if its searchin for a gear, especially between 3rd and 4th gear, more than usual, then the AT is starting to go man...sorry

Last edited by cashoit; 11-20-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Just got word from my mechanic and it could be two things, a coil or FUEL INJECTORS. Clog not enough fuel getting to the cylinder or spark. When I removed the spark plugs i noticed one of them looked a little darker than the other 5. I think it was front side, #2.
How do I home test a coil pack? With what?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 PM

what do u mean darker? a little more burned or worn?? Or like there was oil on it. I think the coils are like 20 bucks each online.

Im not sure how to really test but do a search ppl have come up with home test.

I wd say to test the coil packs...with car runnin, remove the electrical connector to the coil pack one at a time. Dont worry it wont hurt the engine. U will jus be runnin one cylinder less. The engine SHOULD stutter cuz u running less cylinders. But in yur case, once u remove coil # 2 the car will remain the same since we think that is the screwy coil pack. If the condition of engine doesnt change then that coil pack is busted. If u disable a coil pack, the engine SHOULD run less smoothly. If there is no change with the way the enigine is running, then that coil pack is messed up.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM

It's just trying to find the right one. I would hate to by all of them. But, i could just buy one, one for the front and one for the rear and trace it that way. OR, just use a meter and see how much voltage it's supporting. Current flow. (scratching head) I will keep you posted on what is going on. --- 369,910 Miles on a 95 Nissan Maxima, GXE. And this is the hassle I am getting now.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 PM

dayyyum!

Originally Posted by blkmaxz95
Even my mechanic is pointing toward the MAF. But, I think cleaning the IACV might do the trick as well. Can't hurt. 368K.
yea, @ 368k, i dont think it would hurt to change ANYTHING out for something new
Old 11-20-2009, 02:59 PM

fuel pump is on its way out
Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 PM

Good evening folks. I just put in some strong fuel injector cleaning and it's making it worse, it seems. If I did not have this problem, the car would be running soooo damn sweet right now. I've basically gave it a tune up. Now, either I have to play with the coils in the morning OR go find a fuel pump. I found that in my book of Hong Kong PHONEY for Maximas. lol. Keeping one an all posted.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Just received my MAF and two coil packs. I am going to test the MAF first and then the coils. I bought two, one for the right and one for the left. I am betting its going to be #3, front. The fuel injector cleaner is helping some. Hard starts in the morning but it's getting cold here in Alabama. I am going to apply tonight so, i will post something tomorrow or tonight. Wish me luck.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 AM

I have about 10 coil packs for the 95-99 maxima...I know one is bad but the others are good. anyone interested in them? I can't post new threads yet or I'd put it in the sell forum. Let me know and we can make it happen after the turkey weekend.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by blkmaxz95
Just got word from my mechanic and it could be two things, a coil or FUEL INJECTORS. Clog not enough fuel getting to the cylinder or spark. When I removed the spark plugs i noticed one of them looked a little darker than the other 5. I think it was front side, #2.
How do I home test a coil pack? With what?
Then due to the coil going bad it fowled out the plug. Replace coil and plug, you should be set. I had the same problem, I went to a junk yard and started taking them off of cars. Then my bestfriend found a whole set at his work and gave them to me.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:37 PM

run some gumout or stuff injector cleaner......could it be helpful