4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please Help!!! My 95 gxe GRINDS every time I start it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 05:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please Help!!! My 95 gxe GRINDS every time I start it.

Every day I start my max (95 gxe) in the morning it makes a loud grinding noise for a couple of seconds. It's done this since I've had it (1998) and no one can seem to find out what the problem is. I've had Merchant's look at it a couple of times via their diagnostic exam and they've found nothing. I've had another mechanic listen to it also. He told me that it might be the check valves, but there is no way to be sure without shelling out some big bucks. At first the grinding was very light/faint (I almost couldn't hear it at all). But now I can hear the noise from inside the house when I start the car. So it's gotten progressively worse over the years. It doesn't only do it in the morning either. It does it every time that the car has been setting for a couple hours. I also have to hit the gas pretty hard now for the car to turn over. If not, it will make the grinding noise, start, then shut off. I've also had the starter and alternator checked recently and they are fine. I just bought a new battery a couple of months ago too. My oxygen sensors were replaced a few months ago as well. I'm really stumped. I love my max for sure. But if I can't find out what the problem is I may have to get rid of it (something that I don't want to do). If anyone can please help it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-2001, 06:45 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Something tells me you have the famous starter noise problem. Here's the fix on that. It's a pretty simple procedure.

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/starter/starter.htm
Old 12-03-2001, 07:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks so much!! You really helped me out!

Thanks man!!!!!! I was really thinking about selling the Max in and getting a RL or TL. Trying this message board was my last hope. I'm going to try the suggestion that you gave. I'll let you know how it goes! This has really made my day!!

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Something tells me you have the famous starter noise problem. Here's the fix on that. It's a pretty simple procedure.

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/starter/starter.htm
Old 12-03-2001, 08:22 PM

"veeeeh" noise

I own a 1995 GXE, and that problem was cured by taking apart the starter motor and re-lubing the gears after cleaning it. It seems to start quicker and no more noise after the fix!
Old 12-03-2001, 09:14 PM

Re: Thanks so much!! You really helped me out!

Originally posted by grn95gxe
Thanks man!!!!!! I was really thinking about selling the Max in and getting a RL or TL. Trying this message board was my last hope. I'm going to try the suggestion that you gave. I'll let you know how it goes! This has really made my day!!
You make it seem like owning and driving a TL or RL is a horrid thing that MUST be done if you cant figure out the noise. If you're ready to buy one of those cars, by all means, go ahead and do it!
Old 12-03-2001, 11:08 PM

COOL!!!> I was having this prob too.. now I know how to fix it.. Quick question though.. This wasnt happening until I got my new clutch in.. Could the dealer have possible done something wrong and I can get them to fix it?
Old 12-04-2001, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: "veeeeh" noise

Is re-lubing the starter something that I can do myself? If so how long does it take? Or will I have to have a professional do it? Also, what type of cost is associated with having a professional do it? Would it make sense for me to just go ahead and get a new starter?
Originally posted by MikeyMax
I own a 1995 GXE, and that problem was cured by taking apart the starter motor and re-lubing the gears after cleaning it. It seems to start quicker and no more noise after the fix!
Old 12-04-2001, 05:51 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: "veeeeh" noise

Originally posted by grn95gxe
Is re-lubing the starter something that I can do myself? If so how long does it take? Or will I have to have a professional do it? Also, what type of cost is associated with having a professional do it? Would it make sense for me to just go ahead and get a new starter?

Do it yourself! Go to the web site I mentioned and read the article. It's a very easy job to do. You just remove the air box and a few things in the way, once you have access to the starter 2 bolts will remove it from the car. It's pretty easy to take apart, regrease reassemble and put it back in the car. Job done and it should only cost you about an hour or 2 of your time and 4 bucks for the high temp grease. I doubt you'll find a mechanic that will do this for you. Most will want to sell you a new starter. Thats how they make $$$$$.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:39 AM

Starter motor

Although Motorvate.com is awesome at explaining how to do this, I'll try to explain parts of it.

First you have to remove your filter or box and all the plastic tubing. Then I removed the FSTB.
Locate the starter motor.
There are two large bolts holding the starter motor in place. One on top and one on bottom. The top bolt is smaller than the bottom one. I had to use a Torque wrench to get the bolts lose.
Remove the large wire from the battery to the starter motor. I had a diffucult time getting the little black wire lose. That part frustrated me the most. Couldn't figure out how to unclip it.
After removing the starter motor take apart the motor by losening the two bolts on the back side of the motor (they're really long). Then I just got some toothpicks and papertowels and some WD-40 and cleaned the whole thing. WD-40 works well to clean the grease. re-lube and reinstall.
hope this helps...