4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DIY Front Valve Cover Gasket Installation Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Gary Mastro
Hi guys. Can somebody do me a favor and send or post a pic of the spark plug cable routing on the front valve cover?

I've taken pics up the kazoo of the rest of the parts but probably thought that area was too obvious to need any, but now with my CRS kicking in the correct routing/positioning escapes me.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

gdmastro @ roadrunner . com
Err...we don't have plug wires.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Ok, sorry for the nomenclature error. Coil wires is what I meant. Thanks for the correction.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Gary Mastro
Ok, sorry for the nomenclature error. Coil wires is what I meant. Thanks for the correction.
There's pretty much only one way to do it, the harness won't fit any other way:
Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 PM

I have a 1995 with 293K and I am having that same valve leak problem at the front which I had a shop do a while back. I attempted to retightem the screw in the bottom left corner and noticed it wasn't getting tight. It is starting to spin. Is there anyway to fix that?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
I have a 1995 with 293K and I am having that same valve leak problem at the front which I had a shop do a while back. I attempted to retightem the screw in the bottom left corner and noticed it wasn't getting tight. It is starting to spin. Is there anyway to fix that?
Sounds like either you or the previous person to tighten that bolt went past the "snug" point and stripped the threads. You're gonna have to retap the threads and use a bigger bolt.

Just take the bolt to a hardware store, have them give you the next size up and a tap to make the hole the size of the new bolt. Just go to a mom and pop hardware store, not Home Depot and they should give you plenty of knowledgeable advice on doing this if you've never done it, just explain what happened
Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM

ok so im happening a problem with my valve cover (my car is full of problems) i've done the valve cover 3 times now and i still have the leak from the bottom left side above the alternator. ive let it sit for a few hours and i turn it on and in no time i see oil coming out again. ive put that permanex ultra black and it seals the valve all around but in that area it always leak what am i doing wrong ive done everything to standard and it still leaks. help?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo32
ok so im happening a problem with my valve cover (my car is full of problems) i've done the valve cover 3 times now and i still have the leak from the bottom left side above the alternator. ive let it sit for a few hours and i turn it on and in no time i see oil coming out again. ive put that permanex ultra black and it seals the valve all around but in that area it always leak what am i doing wrong ive done everything to standard and it still leaks. help?
I think your options are either you didn't get it sealed right or there is a crack in the cover. If you don't see a crack, then you probably don't have a good seal.

Did you use only RTV? There are pre-formed rubber gaskets for both the front and rear VC's that come in a kit for about $50 I think at the parts store. I just did both of mine and it sealed fine. I wouldn't think using just RTV would be the best way to go although I used a few dabs of RTV to hold the rubber gasket in place inside the covers while installing them and that worked well.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM

the gaskets are new, since i first installed them they have about 200 miles or less. i added a few dabs around the valve in the corners and them the outline on the engine and added a lil bit extra on the left side and even with that it still leaks
Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Well, Like I said it is either not a good seal, or the cover is cracked, or it's leaking from somewhere else entirely. Pictures would help. Can you see it clearly leaking from the cover? or is it possible it's coming from somewhere else? Did you make sure to clean the surface very well? I didn't put any RTV at all on the cylinder head before installing the covers. I just cleaned it well and put the rubber straight on the metal surface and it sealed perfectly (not that RTV wouldn't help; I'm just saying mine worked without it).

Last edited by dan1el; 01-06-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by dan1el
Well, Like I said it is either not a good seal, or the cover is cracked, or it's leaking from somewhere else entirely. Pictures would help. Can you see it clearly leaking from the cover? or is it possible it's coming from somewhere else? Did you make sure to clean the surface very well? I didn't put any RTV at all on the cylinder head before installing the covers. I just cleaned it well and put the rubber straight on the metal surface and it sealed perfectly (not that RTV wouldn't help; I'm just saying mine worked without it).
yea i have checked the gasket and the cover, no cracks. i can see the oil leaking from the corner of the cover area and yes i did clean the surface.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo32
yea i have checked the gasket and the cover, no cracks. i can see the oil leaking from the corner of the cover area and yes i did clean the surface.
Is that the place it was originally leaking from? or did it come about after you changed the gasket the first time? Does it seem to be leaking more, less, or the same after each time you have changed it? If it leaks about the same in the exact same spot every time you changed it, it's pretty suspicious. If it is different every time, then you just aren't getting the cover sealed properly.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Great Write up. I have always loved Maxima's since i was 5 and my uncle bought a 94 Maxima. Back in the early 90's Having a Nissan was rolling big dog style, Especially in NY!

Glad I am down with the site!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM

Ok, so im planning on doing the rear and front valve cover gaskets as wel and wanted to know where you guys bought this kit and apart from the kit and the sealer, what else will be needed.?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
Ok, so im planning on doing the rear and front valve cover gaskets as wel and wanted to know where you guys bought this kit and apart from the kit and the sealer, what else will be needed.?
I bought it from Autozone for about $50.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...+cover+gaskets

Just make sure it's got the 2 solid gaskets and the 6 gromets and the washers/seals that go on the perimeter bolts. That's all you need to do the job, other than the sockets.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by dan1el
I bought it from Autozone for about $50.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...+cover+gaskets

Just make sure it's got the 2 solid gaskets and the 6 gromets and the washers/seals that go on the perimeter bolts. That's all you need to do the job, other than the sockets.
on that kit, they send all 6 spark plug tube seals as the same. The OE are different front to rear. Go to the dealer and buy the correct rear ones and be careful putting them in so they are flush, not sunken.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 PM

ok, thanx guys.I hope it goes well. Someone else had recommend a bigger kit on ebay for similar price.Might go along with that.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM
mod or sell?

ok, thanx guys.I hope it goes well. Someone else had recommend a bigger kit on ebay for similar price.Might go along with that.
no need for a bigger kit, unless it is including the plenum gasket.
ALOT of the cheap ebay kits come with craptacular gaskets. Though to be honest not sure how easily they could screw up or valve cover set
Old 01-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Well, its prob just $10 more in price with shipping and comes with more gaskets for other areas that might just need changing too.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 AM

Well, its prob just $10 more in price with shipping and comes with more gaskets for other areas that might just need changing too.
Which extra gaskets? If it's not something on the way to the vc's then it's probably not worth it. As far as I remember there are no gaskets on the way to the vc's.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Seeing everyone talk about 4 bolts holding the UIM on, is this really possible and effective? Having had the pain of taking them all out, I can't imagine how hard they are going to be to put back in, and I'd like to replace as few as possible! Which are these magic 4? I have a 2000 i30.

Great Writeup on the valve cover gasket replace!

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:58 PM

DIYing this weekend thanks to the simplicity of this job shown in this write up. Dealer just quoted me $469 to do both gaskets due to leaking. Pics make the write up sooo much better.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
nycmaximas member

I helped a friend do my gaskets and plenum gasket thus weekend. Only head ache was the vac or coolant hoses behind the UIM. PTA to loosen. I have an extra Gasket Set if anyone needs one for this job??? It's in 4th Gen Classified section.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 AM

nice read. informative thank you.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:17 PM

DIY Front Valve Cover

First, +1 on the write-up!

Now, I did everything according to the DIY on here and the Haynes manual, however, I hit a snag. The tips of the breather hoses were so cracked that they broke when I took them off. I think it was due to them never being checked or replaced ever before. Has this ever happened to anybody? (Suggestions on replacement, junk yard?)

Also, quick tid-bit. The valve cover sits a bit on top from the bay itself, even after being tightened. Is this normal?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
nycmaximas member

Originally Posted by SBKMax96
First, +1 on the write-up!

Now, I did everything according to the DIY on here and the Haynes manual, however, I hit a snag. The tips of the breather hoses were so cracked that they broke when I took them off. I think it was due to them never being checked or replaced ever before. Has this ever happened to anybody? (Suggestions on replacement, junk yard?)

Also, quick tid-bit. The valve cover sits a bit on top from the bay itself, even after being tightened. Is this normal?
Same thing happened to me.... I was lucky a friend had an extra engine hanging around with the intact breather hose... Id say go to an auto parts place and get tubing that is the same diameter as the old hose and just replace??? As long as its the same thickness and fits tight... You gotta keep that vacuum. Compression is important...

BTW I do have an extra kit for this job??? In the F/S section...
Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 AM

Still leaking...

Now, I've done everything according to the Haynes manual, the tips that the forum has given and still... I'm having a rather small leak. I plan on redoing them all over again, but before, does anybody have any idea as to why they are leaking? I used the ultra black rtv sealant and let it cure for almost the full day. But it's still leaking, and from the same spot as the fist time that it did when I didn't use the sealant. It's towards the bottom left corner of the cover, next to the camshaft cover. Help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey great write up. just wondering do you need to have the car tdc before doing this?????

tdc = top dead center
Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by pistonhead93
hey great write up. just wondering do you need to have the car tdc before doing this?????

tdc = top dead center
...to replace the valve cover gasket? No. Why would you?