4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

UPDATE: NEED HELP! Car Dies When Coming To A Stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 AM

UPDATE: NEED HELP! Car Dies When Coming To A Stop

Well, cleaned the MAF, but still stalls at a stop.

The weird thing is that the car DOESN'T stall unless I shut the car off after the first start-up and then restart again soon after. For example, if I start the car up after a long cool down period (overnight, or after work), I can drive it without a stall. But if along the way I make a stop, say, at the store, then start-up again, the car potentially starts stalling when I brake at a stop light. But after that, it would fine.

No CELs, and ambient temperature is low 50s to mid 60s.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:24 AM

well, whats your Idle at a stop when its warmed up. Probably below operating RPM... Either Clean your IACV or adjust your iacv idle.

/Thread
Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
well, whats your Idle at a stop when its warmed up. Probably below operating RPM... Either Clean your IACV or adjust your iacv idle.

/Thread
About 600-650rpm, just as it's always been.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 PM

my 5th gen does the same, when coming to a stop it just shuts off, no forewarning no nothing. i asked a friend about it and he said to clean my TB, so i did...seemed to work, but didnt when i found out this sunday when coming to a stop it did the same thing...that was about a 3wk period until it did it again...if there is anything new on this subject i'd gladly appreciate the info. thanks in advance
Old 12-01-2009, 07:38 AM

IACV have any electrical contact points. Try cleaning those and for MAF electrical contacts as well. Might need a new MAF or IACV. Its a fuel or Air delivery issue. Somethin either isnt delivering fuel or air at idle.

Try adjusting the Idle by shortening the Accelerator cable at the TB. Let the car idle at 800-900 rpm instead. Jus as a patch fix until u can really find tha culprit
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 AM

Just curious, from a technical perspective, what do the IACV and MAF do exactly?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:03 PM

IACV = Idle Air Control Valve: If I remember correctly, it's the solenoid that sends the computer information to adjust idle speed, that's about it...

MAF = Mass Airflow Sensor (the way too pricey part on our cars): Measures air intake to get to the right air/fuel ratio.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:22 AM

where is the iacv and how do i clean it?

PLEASE, SOMEONE WITH PICS OF THE IACV POST THEM, I HAVE SEARCHED THE 4TH AND 5TH GEN FORUMS FOR PICS/LOCATION OF THE IACV TO NO AVAIL, EVERYTIME SOMEONE ASK IT SEEMS THAT EVERYONE LEAVES TEH THREAD AND NEVER RESPONDS EVER AGAIN

Last edited by phatboislim; 12-02-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 AM

The IACV is located to right of the throttle body. The upper right hose on the airbox connects directly to the IACV.

This writeup gives clear pictures and instructions on how to clean the IACV along with several other parts:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...g-dummies.html

You'll find those instructions and many of others in the HowTo's: 4th Generation Maxima thread.

Last edited by jholley; 12-02-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Crazy. I had some serious issues with my maxima not idling and wanting to die all the time (I had to keep the rpm higher than usual) I had my brother look at the car and turns out there was a ****ty gasket and the engine wasn't getting enough air. Fixed the problem immediately after changing it. Car idles perfect!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by atown34
Crazy. I had some serious issues with my maxima not idling and wanting to die all the time (I had to keep the rpm higher than usual) I had my brother look at the car and turns out there was a ****ty gasket and the engine wasn't getting enough air. Fixed the problem immediately after changing it. Car idles perfect!
Which gasket are you referring to?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:48 AM

Here are additional symptoms I noticed related to the stalling:

1. Preceding the stall, the revs would just fall to near idle when I lift off the throttle. I can be in 5th gear (AUTO) and it's still fall like a rock. Most of the time it works fine.

2. It seems to begin acting up if my route/drive involves a large amount of braking. On the freeway, no apparent problems, but in stop-go traffic, you can feel the revs begin to dip gradually at idle.

So can anybody tell me that if the MAF is the most likely culprit, why does braking cause this whole problem?

Stalling like this is dangerous and is driving crazy, because I never know when it'll happen next.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
The IACV is located to right of the throttle body. The upper right hose on the airbox connects directly to the IACV.

This writeup gives clear pictures and instructions on how to clean the IACV along with several other parts:

You'll find those instructions and many of others in the HowTo's: 4th Generation Maxima thread.
thanks i will probably take care of this next week
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by aaronleong
Here are additional symptoms I noticed related to the stalling:

1. Preceding the stall, the revs would just fall to near idle when I lift off the throttle. I can be in 5th gear (AUTO) and it's still fall like a rock. Most of the time it works fine.

2. It seems to begin acting up if my route/drive involves a large amount of braking. On the freeway, no apparent problems, but in stop-go traffic, you can feel the revs begin to dip gradually at idle.

So can anybody tell me that if the MAF is the most likely culprit, why does braking cause this whole problem?

Stalling like this is dangerous and is driving crazy, because I never know when it'll happen next.
hey man, defintely do these first...

Careful with the MAF though, those are delicate and expensive..

And just so you know for future refrence. Our Auto tranny's are 4 Speed's the 5th Bump you feel is the TC locking up...
Old 12-04-2009, 08:17 AM

hey man, defintely do these first...

Careful with the MAF though, those are delicate and expensive..

And just so you know for future refrence. Our Auto tranny's are 4 Speed's the 5th Bump you feel is the TC locking up...
Thanks -- I'll do that when I finally have some free time. Also noticed something while I was letting is run in the garage. I had it in PARK and rolled the windows (electric) down. The car just died when I ran the window. How does one explain that?!?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:43 AM

Uh Oh, dude do you have mysterious lights coming on in the guage cluster? for example Battery light, air bag, ect? I think your charging systems ****ed go get it tested. some places will do it for free.. idk where tho. ive only heard.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Uh Oh, dude do you have mysterious lights coming on in the guage cluster? for example Battery light, air bag, ect? I think your charging systems ****ed go get it tested. some places will do it for free.. idk where tho. ive only heard.
Nope, no strange lights. I had a brake light but that's surely due to my crapped out rears.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 PM

hmm, se thats peculiar.. Cus the window motivators i know drain a bit of current and always have dimmed headlights. Now your car dying rolling the window down... makes me wonder... really go have your charging system tested just to be sure.. unless you KNOW its good.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:38 PM

had this problem one and i just did a tune up and it worked fine after that ....cost me alot though
Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 AM

hmm, se thats peculiar.. Cus the window motivators i know drain a bit of current and always have dimmed headlights. Now your car dying rolling the window down... makes me wonder... really go have your charging system tested just to be sure.. unless you KNOW its good.
So could be the alternator? My batt is new.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Have you cleaned the TB and IACV yet?
Those are the two devices that control your idle speed.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Have you cleaned the TB and IACV yet?
Those are the two devices that control your idle speed.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Besides cleaning the TB and IACV, should I be looking at the Fast Idle solenoids too? They control the idle speed during power steering and A/C operations. Do these solenoids funk up and go out easily?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by aaronleong
Besides cleaning the TB and IACV, should I be looking at the Fast Idle solenoids too? They control the idle speed during power steering and A/C operations. Do these solenoids funk up and go out easily?

They are all located in the same area and may even be the same valve as the IACV. They jus have a different control loop to control function. Im not sure tho so dont quote me....but they definitely in the same place.

Silly question too...but u change PCV lately??
Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 AM

check for vac leaks