4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Autozone Alternator or OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Autozone Alternator or OEM?

Been pouring over the threads on alternators. It seems some folks (pmohr included) recommend going OEM and some others say they have had good luck with Autozone alternators.

My alternator died. I think just the bearing was initially shot causing a whine so I grounded the car while I could figure out what it was. Then this Friday I tried to move the car into the garage as we were heading out and saw smoke in the engine bay. Popped the hood and sure enough it was the alternator smoking. Killed the car and ran back out and saw a glow inside the alternator. Went our when I blew like some one blows a candle. No battery or brake lights ever lit up. Car did move into the garage (about 1 car length only).

So, now, I am scared of starting it and I really do not want to get it towed as I want to attempt a DIY.

Looked at courtesy parts and it seems they too only have reman units. So, what's the difference then? I would think if autozone has a reman and Nissan dealers have a reman, I'd come out ahead with the Zone's lifetime limited warranty v/s Nissan's which is 1 year.

Thoughts on whether I should do Autozone for half the price than OEM rebuilt?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:11 AM

Also, should I add salvage yard alternators to the equation? There's a 1999 I30 alternator about 50 miles away at a salvage yard.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 AM
i has college

It's really up in the air as far as quality goes. OEM will cost you an arm and a leg. Personally, I went with an eBay rebuilt alternator from a reputable seller with a one year warranty for $75 shipped. Still cranking along two years later with no problems whatsoever.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 AM

I've got one from autozone that I put in a camry about 4 years ago.. still working ok
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Bad, Very Very Bad. OEM FTW. No Contest wanna know why?

Cause i only run a 40 AMP system in my car and have gone through 4 reman's in 2 years. 5 if you count the defective one that lasted a whole month.

you get what you pay for, get one thats Max output is reached at a low RPM.

But if you dont plan on using any type of Ampre hungry devices, like an aftermarket amplifier..you can probably escape with a reman or used one...check the fs threads.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Autozone ones are fine and you'll have have to pay for another one as long as you own your car. I've fried a number of them and didn't pay one cent for a replacement. Go for the Autozone and don't waste your money messing with used or OEM replacements.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by deezo
Autozone ones are fine and you'll have have to pay for another one as long as you own your car. I've fried a number of them and didn't pay one cent for a replacement. Go for the Autozone and don't waste your money messing with used or OEM replacements.
Thanks. I did see your posts recommending the Autozone ones. But pmohr is saying OEM all the way so I am torn.

I do like the idea of never having to pay for another alternator but from what I am reading, its a biatch to swap out the alternator so that's not helping in making decisions but if OEM and Autozone are both reman, I don't see how I cannot have issues with the OEM one.

BTW, I run a bone stock SE so its running the Bose. No extras except the OEM CD changer in da trunk if that helps giving me advise.

So far, the Zone's winning .....

Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dvpatel99se
Thanks. I did see your posts recommending the Autozone ones. But pmohr is saying OEM all the way so I am torn.

I do like the idea of never having to pay for another alternator but from what I am reading, its a biatch to swap out the alternator so that's not helping in making decisions but if OEM and Autozone are both reman, I don't see how I cannot have issues with the OEM one.

BTW, I run a bone stock SE so its running the Bose. No extras except the OEM CD changer in da trunk if that helps giving me advise.

So far, the Zone's winning .....

The thing is, now dealerships are getting into selling reman parts but what everyone needs to look at is the cost down the road if you plan to keep the car for a long time like I have. I've been running Autozone alternators since I replaced my OEM almost 8 years ago. I ould have wasted a lot of money by going with OEM.

Yes, a new alternator will most likely run a few years longer than a reman but I haven't paid for an replacement since I replaced my OEM alternator. Same goes for the axles, front brake pads and some other lifetime warranty items.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:08 PM

My experience with The Zone..
Its a crap shoot.. You may get a decent unit the first time around.. and you may not.. It took me three times to get a good unit. Its been working for over a year now ( although the voltage drops as the car warms up- especially in the summer temps).
After the first couple of times you'll get used to swapping out the unit.. Its not that bad once you get the hang of it..

just my 2 cents..
Old 12-23-2009, 07:55 PM

deezo is right, OEM is more money than what it is worth and used is a waist of time. You already have a used one, right? However, that is where we differ. You shouldn't have to change an alternator every few years, free part or not. AutoZone alternators are the least expensive on the market because they are the cheapest. AZ alternators and starters fail because of poor rebuilt practices. Spend a few bucks more and get a rebuilt from Advanced, Car Quest, O'reiley's, etc. (also lifetime warranty). Just my opinion based on dealing with these parts and parts houses day in and day out as a service writer for an independent garage.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 67whitegoat
deezo is right, OEM is more money than what it is worth and used is a waist of time. You already have a used one, right? However, that is where we differ. You shouldn't have to change an alternator every few years, free part or not. AutoZone alternators are the least expensive on the market because they are the cheapest. AZ alternators and starters fail because of poor rebuilt practices. Spend a few bucks more and get a rebuilt from Advanced, Car Quest, O'reiley's, etc. (also lifetime warranty). Just my opinion based on dealing with these parts and parts houses day in and day out as a service writer for an independent garage.
The price is same $159.99 at Advance Auto and at Autozone. Is Advance quality really better? Also most on here swear by the Zone's lifetime warranty. How's Advance's warranty? In addition, Zone has a $100 core charge so if I do not turn my alternator in, it would be $259.99 where as Advance's core charge is only $21.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by dvpatel99se
The price is same $159.99 at Advance Auto and at Autozone. Is Advance quality really better? Also most on here swear by the Zone's lifetime warranty. How's Advance's warranty? In addition, Zone has a $100 core charge so if I do not turn my alternator in, it would be $259.99 where as Advance's core charge is only $21.
Advanced is the better part over AZ. Their WorldWide brand has a lifetime warranty. CarQuest's lifetime warranty is only on new alternators and starters.
Why would you keep a bad alternator?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:51 AM
100 posts/7 years - woot!

I see both sides of this, my decision would be based on the labor factor. Are you paying to put it in, are you doing it yourself, and how difficult is it for you to install. If you are comfortable swapping out alternators in an hour or two, I'd go with Deezo. But if you're paying labor, or dread taking on the job, I'd go with Pmohr's recommendation, and pay extra for new oem quality.