4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Possible Variable Intake for the 4th Gen??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 01:27 AM
SLOW

I need some money, I'm up for doing this, $$$ is the issue at this point
Old 12-28-2001, 02:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by guido_sst

I was thinking more along the lines of the Smashing Pumpkins myself...
Yes!
Old 12-28-2001, 06:08 AM

Generally,

the wheel size will say how much power you can get to the ground for our Maximas. 17 inch wheels do not put all the maxima's power to the ground as efffectively as 15s do, but the 17s, with bigger 235 tires, will corner better.

So, for straight line power, your 205s may be best. If you have 15s, then get a wider tire, like 235/??/15. I'm not sure of the aspect ratio, but that will work best for lauching grip, not the 17s.

DW

Originally posted by rOaD bEaSt
How did you bring this time with stock and with y pipe only are you running street slick or you are using your 17 at the track I can see that they are 235 is that what helped you ?

What rpm do you rev at the launch ?

One more thing who will win a maxima with 17,235,45 or a maxima with 15,205,65 if they were at the same condition and the same driver ?

My quastion does the 235 rope power because my tires ate 205 ?

THanks
Old 12-28-2001, 09:14 AM

HP is th only thing that will affect top speed. Different tire sizes will affect acceleration, or how fast you get there, due to roling resistance, aero drag, etc.

So, if you have 220 hp with 205s, then you'll reach 250kph quicker than if you had 225s.

DW

The problem that I don't only race for 1/4 mile I'm going for top speed too if I use 15/60/225 this will be as 15/65/205 but I affraid that the 225 will rope my car power ?

Did anyone try this ?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2001, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by CoOlKidS1979

Yes!
Doh !

SuDZ
Old 12-28-2001, 12:55 PM

Once we get some concrete info on this I may be willing to try it out... depends on if I have the funds... Also I have a CA/NLEV 99 SE-L so I am not sure if that will throw a wrench in on this either...

Jeff here in the NW may be willing to help me out if I bug him a little bit. :P
Old 12-28-2001, 01:07 PM
SLOW

How did you bring this time with stock and with y pipe only are you running street slick or you are using your 17 at the track I can see that they are 235 is that what helped you ?

What rpm do you rev at the launch ?

One more thing who will win a maxima with 17,235,45 or a maxima with 15,205,65 if they were at the same condition and the same driver ?

My quastion does the 235 rope power because my tires ate 205 ?

THanks
No, I was running regular 205-65-15s. I have them on the car right now in 8 inches of snow in michigan, they are my winter wheels/tires.

I slipped the clutch from 2500, thats what i've found works the best for me and its less violent on your transmission as well.

225s vs 205s. The 225s will have more traction but they will weigh slightly more too. Cars on the bonneville salt flats, where they do the high speed record setting for cars, use as skinny a tire as they can, because skinnier tires have less rolling resistance than wider tires.
Old 12-28-2001, 01:48 PM

What would be required mechanicly to do this swap? Would it be a DIY project or no?

SuDZ
Old 12-28-2001, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
What would be required mechanicly to do this swap? Would it be a DIY project or no?

SuDZ
It should be an almost direct bolt on - 1st you would probably have to rig something up for the canister purge volume control valve - 2nd find out if the plugs for the variable manifold are on US spec cars and just not being using, then test if the US spec ecu will know what to do with it, if not then you will need an RPM switch to activate the flaps in the manifold. All of which would be relativly easy problems. As for taking the actual manifold off of the car its not hard. Mine is off now, I was gonna powder coat my manifold, but now Im waiting to see if I can get my hands on the variable maniold. Im sure theres something I missed so feel free to add, but I think this covers the basics.
Old 12-29-2001, 06:53 AM

Guys if you doubt the usefulness of the variable intake take a look at the Dyno for the supercharged 4th and 5th generation. The 4th generation would be stronger if not for the variable intake kicking in at about 5000 rpms. The 4th generationn has a cam that is more aggrtessive than the 5th generation, which explain the higher horsepower genearated on the lower end by the 4th generation. This data leads me to draw the conclusion that a major portion of the 3.0 5th generation horsepower increase is due to the intake. The amazing jump around the time the intake opens is the leading indicator of the intake's horsepower contribution. Any comments or feedback.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:29 AM

I don't think anyone doubts its usefullness. There's more a worry of possible slight fitment problems between the US and non US 4th gens, and some ECU and/or emissions potential problems. Other than that, we're all ready and eagerly awaiting the variable intake!

DW

Originally posted by gibsot
Guys if you doubt the usefulness of the variable intake take a look at the Dyno for the supercharged 4th and 5th generation. The 4th generation would be stronger if not for the variable intake kicking in at about 5000 rpms. The 4th generationn has a cam that is more aggrtessive than the 5th generation, which explain the higher horsepower genearated on the lower end by the 4th generation. This data leads me to draw the conclusion that a major portion of the 3.0 5th generation horsepower increase is due to the intake. The amazing jump around the time the intake opens is the leading indicator of the intake's horsepower contribution. Any comments or feedback.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:10 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Would it be possible to run these ideas by a Nissan Tech at Nissan Headquarters or something? Maybe there's a chance one guy there is actually an enthusiast and might be helpful in answering some questions.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:49 PM
XtremeHKS

so lets look at it this way 222 in stock trim with different things here and there like no cats and better muffler but say you ran an APEXi S-AFC the variable intake manifold and you already had intake y pipe and full cat back exhaust you could lean out the mixture and hopefully have an air/fuel gauge or egt or something and then you could probably be around what 250?

Old 12-31-2001, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by CoOlKidS1979
Yes!
Damn I'm good.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:00 AM

Just thought I'd bring this thread back since there's so much talk of manifolds. Because the the newly discovered varaible intake for the 4th gen will be in limited supply, hopefully this discussion will get another source for them.

DW
Old 03-05-2002, 08:21 AM

Well, if you ask me that seems accurate.

I've got a power loss problem with my 5th gen above 5000 rpms. I'm certain that it is related to the VIAS system.

Look at these dynos - my stock before the problem and after the problem.

The after looks a lot like a 4th gen.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/maxgator/oldVSrecent.BMP

Now, if I could just get Nissan to admit there is a problem - or find out what the problem is, I would be set.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:44 AM

Problem

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Well, if you ask me that seems accurate.

I've got a power loss problem with my 5th gen above 5000 rpms. I'm certain that it is related to the VIAS system.

Look at these dynos - my stock before the problem and after the problem.

The after looks a lot like a 4th gen.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/maxgator/oldVSrecent.BMP

Now, if I could just get Nissan to admit there is a problem - or find out what the problem is, I would be set.
Something is not right. Was there a temperature diffence on testing days. The base line before opening is off, it should be the same before opening variable intake runner. There are 3 options.
1. Variable intake partially open, does not open any wider.
2. Engine trouble, intake does not fully open
3. Computer calibration trouble
Old 03-05-2002, 08:58 AM

Re: Problem

Something is not right. Was there a temperature diffence on testing days. The base line before opening is off, it should be the same before opening variable intake runner. There are 3 options.
1. Variable intake partially open, does not open any wider.
2. Engine trouble, intake does not fully open
3. Computer calibration trouble
Admittedly the baseline if off a consistent couple of hp/tq. Could well be a temp difference or simply the difference that 25000 miles makes. They were done on the same dyno.

Clearly though the big difference is after the intake runners are supposed to change at around 5k.

Visual inspection of the actuator on the outside shows that it engages at 5200 in its full range of motion. Nissan Service (oxymoron) performed the vias diagnostic test - which really only tests to see if the actuator is working/getting power. But they refused to do anything more.

They don't accept dynos as evidence of a complaint - whatever. We did a roll-on with another 2k5spd that dyno'd dead on to mine originally and from 4k to about 5750 in 3rd and pulled about a car length.

That wasn't good enough for them - so they refuse to admit problem.

I don't expect to get any satisfaction from them or Nissan so am working on fixing it myself (but still going through the Nissan motions).
Old 03-05-2002, 10:17 AM

How much would it cost to just have the intake manifold ported and polished... i mean wouldnt the benefits of that help as well if you consider the fact that the engine would get even more air....
Old 03-05-2002, 10:44 AM

Someone did an extensive write up on it on this board. They found it did nothing. This manifold was well designed.

DW

Originally posted by Stillnmax
How much would it cost to just have the intake manifold ported and polished... i mean wouldnt the benefits of that help as well if you consider the fact that the engine would get even more air....
Old 03-06-2002, 04:36 PM

Variable Intake

Hi People.

Sorry I haven't been able to reply for a few months. Things have happened that have meant I havent been able to come here. Just to clarify a few things I noticed while reading this thread.

1. New Zealand manufactured maximas dont have variable intake manifold. they have the same as the US.

2. NZ manufactured maximas dont have catalytic converters

3. NZ imports a lot of vehicles from japan. these have the variable intakes because they are JDM spec.

4. A JDM spec VQ25DE in a cefiro will leave a NZ VQ30DE for dead at top end.

5. JDM spec maximas (defiros) have catalytic converters.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:02 PM

Re: Variable Intake

And so the drama of the high in demand 4th gen varaible intake un-folds with yet a new twist. There are like 4 threads going on about this now. I'll post this in the latest one.

DW

Originally posted by NZ Max
Hi People.

Sorry I haven't been able to reply for a few months. Things have happened that have meant I havent been able to come here. Just to clarify a few things I noticed while reading this thread.

1. New Zealand manufactured maximas dont have variable intake manifold. they have the same as the US.

2. NZ manufactured maximas dont have catalytic converters

3. NZ imports a lot of vehicles from japan. these have the variable intakes because they are JDM spec.

4. A JDM spec VQ25DE in a cefiro will leave a NZ VQ30DE for dead at top end.

5. JDM spec maximas (defiros) have catalytic converters.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:42 PM

Any chance someone will get one of these damn manifolds in the US before 2003? Common. All this talk of tubros, pfft. N/A Bolt-ons! Someone setup up to the plate and get one of these things.