4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How do I open the hood when normal method fails?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Resolved: How do I open the hood when normal method fails?

Last time when I went to check under the hood, and closed it (didn't try opening it until today), I cannot open the hood now! Internal mechanism is pulling (not sure if it is unlocking) and then when trying from front, puller goes up and down, but no response from the hood. I tried pushing it hard where it locks and having pulled from inside and from outside at the same time (with help of someone), still cannot open the hood. Its not budging.

I searched for tips but seems none are right on. Any ideas how I can open it or make sure the internal mechanism is working?

Last edited by CosmoKramer00; 01-02-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

pull the release then bump the hood with the side of your fist a few times, at the front, then pull up on the hood. it may take o couple of tries to open. after each failed try, push down on the hood as if closing tight. once it's open be sure to spray the latch mechanism with "WD-40" or something like that and work the latch a few times.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 AM
.org window licker

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer00
Last time when I went to check under the hood, and closed it (didn't try opening it until today), I cannot open the hood now! Internal mechanism is pulling (not sure if it is unlocking) and then when trying from front, puller goes up and down, but no response from the hood. I tried pushing it hard where it locks and having pulled from inside and from outside at the same time (with help of someone), still cannot open the hood. Its not budging.

I searched for tips but seems none are right on. Any ideas how I can open it or make sure the internal mechanism is working?
not sure that it will work on a maxima but the last time i had to do that i basically had to rip the grill off a honda and use a 10mm to loosen the bracket that is mounted behind the grill. good luck it is not a fun thing to do besides that maybe check if the hood cable is broken off. or maybe u can reach under the car by the radiator and pull on the cable it will be located on the driver side of the radiator and the top it will be a black wire that is a hard plastic. good luck

-Jared
Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Here's an update: (I usually like to update my posts in an event someone else ever runs into something like this).

After juggling, pounding, banging (I know a lot of kinky words) but none of that worked, so had to pull the grill off and then 3 screws that were holding the entire locking mechanism. Lots of grease around the lock and the pulley cable wasn't working properly. Now, I go the hood off, I'll go to work on the original issue (cable/battery/alternator/car shut off issue).

Jared - you have an awesome ride! loving it!

Last edited by CosmoKramer00; 01-02-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 AM

If the cable was working properly but the latch was getting stuck/sticky (maybe due to cold weather), I had to wedge something between the hood & grill and then hit the release handle inside the car. Same as having someone pull the hood up while you hit the handle. Some WD-40 on the latch restored normal operation afterwards.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 AM

i have the same issuse with my max, usually i pull or push on the hood (which ever works at the time), after several times of doing that the hood usually pops open. maybe you should invest into hood pins(which i'm considering myself), it might be easier to deal with.