4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help: Got White Overlays From Importintelligence.com And Needles Are F^&*(d Up!![/

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 04:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Help: Got White Overlays From Importintelligence.com And Needles Are F^&*(d Up!![/

After much searching of the Org. I need some help!!!!Recently got the white overlays from Importintelligence.com for a '97 GLE. I installed blue bulbs and the gauges look sweet at night!!!
-----I RAN INTO A SMALL PROBLEM-----

I followed the installation instructions to a tee and am having the following problems:
Somehow the needles are not calibrated properly......
- Tach is running a little high, needle not positioned properly?
- Temp and fuel gauges do not move, the needle for the fuel gauge is all the way at the top, looks like my fuel tank is super full. Temp gauge will not move. The needle is stuck at super cold; the needle is not moving at all.

When putting the needles back on I did mark the original spot.

-For the temp and speedo do you replace them the same way you do the tach and speedo (put on pointing to four o'clock, spin counterclockwise past 12 to original calibration point) or do you just place them on at the original calibration point without turning them back like the tach and speedo?
- If anyone that has taken off their needles can help I would appreciate it. I went to Cheston's site and also to the SE-R sight but with no luck.

- Also, what would it take to replace the needles totally and get a new mechanism for the needles?

Thanks all!

THANKS!!
Old 12-04-2001, 04:42 PM

Can I get a little help over here?

Anybody else ever remove the needles and they did not work when they replaced them?
Old 12-04-2001, 04:51 PM

how do they stay against the old faces, do they get screwed in? you might need to tape them a little
Old 12-04-2001, 04:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go to www.se-r.net and got to the mailing list archives. I've seen this talked about there quite a bit. Search baby. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Who's directions did you follow? Import Intelligence's?

If you did, try going to http://www.maximadriver.com and go to the how2 section. He has a writeup also on how to put on the Import Intelligence overlays.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Try going to http://www.maximadriver.com and go to the how2 section. He has a writeup also on how to put on the Import Intelligence overlays.
The one problem I find with those instructions, is that he doesn't give much detail on putting the gauge needles back on.

Push the needle back on at 4oclock. Gently turn the needle, while pressing down, until you turn it to the recalibration point that you previously noted. If you over shoot, that's ok, just go around again CCW.
I would assume you turn CLOCKWISE when putting them on, since you turned COUNTERCLOCKWISE to take them off. But if you overshoot, you "go around again CCW"... That suggests ALL of the turning is counterclockwise. Which is it? Also, in the instructions to take them off, you don't start the lifting action until after the first 3 turns. When reattaching, do you continuously and gently press down the whole time? Or is it just for the first few turns?
Old 05-27-2002, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Gary95

The one problem I find with those instructions, is that he doesn't give much detail on putting the gauge needles back on.

I would assume you turn CLOCKWISE when putting them on, since you turned COUNTERCLOCKWISE to take them off. But if you overshoot, you "go around again CCW"... That suggests ALL of the turning is counterclockwise. Which is it? Also, in the instructions to take them off, you don't start the lifting action until after the first 3 turns. When reattaching, do you continuously and gently press down the whole time? Or is it just for the first few turns?
I agree gary, cheston's instructions for reattaching the needles are a bit vague. I just sucessfully reattached needles yesterday. Here's what I found.

When Reattaching them you position the needle at 4 o'clock and press down. Press down with a little pressure as you turn the needle counterclockwise to the recalibration point. I went around twice... one full sweep past 4 o'clock back to the calibration point. Worked great.

Thanks to SLCI30t for the instructions... check this thread for more details.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ndiglo+needles
Old 05-30-2002, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by CKNY
When Reattaching them you position the needle at 4 o'clock and press down. Press down with a little pressure as you turn the needle counterclockwise to the recalibration point. I went around twice... one full sweep past 4 o'clock back to the calibration point. Worked great.
Thanks a lot for the update on that, CKNY! If you get a moment, send Cheston an e-mail and maybe he can update his instructions.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:59 AM

IMport

I did my white guage faces & intelliglow needles...and i had some problems with the temp & fuel needles when i put them back , but i just plugged the whole dash into the 3 cords and just played around until i go the temp needle to stay dead in the center after car heated up after 10-15min...as for fuel needle i got it to stay at the same point where it wuz before i took it off.

if you are near the NY area,..i can help yea out...I must've done them about 3-4times in and out...because i had to replace them once because one needle lost connection to LED...etc.

let me kNow.

l8er
Old 06-03-2002, 02:23 PM

Thanks to all

Got this squared away a while back but thanks to all who responded. I wound up playing with the needles with the gauge cluster hanging out in the open.

Got my needles straight after a few minutes of doing the above.

DL
Old 06-03-2002, 02:52 PM

screw those things. better off left alone
Old 06-03-2002, 02:59 PM
i SeE what you did therE

you didn'taske me for help...

i am only 30 minutes away!!???