4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i think i overfilled the antifreeze....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM

i think i overfilled the antifreeze....

and now its leaking out of the plug seal on timing chain cover of passenger side. i think its the cam sensor seal??? the thing thats got a wire hangin from it in the top center of the cover?i know you can replace the seal pretty easily, should that be it?? thanks, retard signing off.....
Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM

the cam pos sensor is leaking coolant?

That sensor?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:20 PM

looks like it to me. hard to tell with that pic. i'll take pic tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Grumpy old guy

Slightly below that is the water pump weep hole, you're sure it's not a bad pump? Was the radiator low and that's why you were filling it or just basic maintenance?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 AM

overflow tank was low and i was topping it off. im pretty sure the water pump is going south and its been dripping but only when the car sits for a day or 2. do you have a pic of the weep hole for the water pump?? it only dripped a little bit since i first saw it yesterday. temp was fine as well.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 AM

Hopefully its just a leaky CPS o-ring. i mines is leaking as well
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...bad-noise.html
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The CPS, pictured in the above post is only in contact with engine oil, not coolant.
To the OP, coolant leaking on the passenger side of the engine is almost always a water pump issue. If you had overfilled the system slightly, it would **** it out the overflow bottle when the engine was hot.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The CPS, pictured in the above post is only in contact with engine oil, not coolant.
To the OP, coolant leaking on the passenger side of the engine is almost always a water pump issue. If you had overfilled the system slightly, it would **** it out the overflow bottle when the engine was hot.
you are right sir, there's a weep hole as forementioned that leaks when the water pump is having problems. when i overfilled the anti-freeze it over-pressurized the system forcing the water pump to work beyond its capacity forcing it to leak.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by max ride 41
you are right sir, there's a weep hole as forementioned that leaks when the water pump is having problems. when i overfilled the anti-freeze it over-pressurized the system forcing the water pump to work beyond its capacity forcing it to leak.
Err...what?

Putting too much coolant in the overflow will in no way 'over-pressurize' the system...that doesn't even make sense. The water pump can't be forced to 'work beyond it's capacity', which also won't 'force it' to leak.

Your coolant top-off has nothing to do with a water pump failure.

If you've got coolant leaking from the CPS, then you've got some major issues.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Like pmohr said, you can fill up the overflow tank to the top and it will not affect the pressure (or lack of) in the cooling system; it's just an overflow tank. It'll blow coolant out of the overflow tube, which should be easy to track, until it gets to it's average level again.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Err...what?

Putting too much coolant in the overflow will in no way 'over-pressurize' the system...that doesn't even make sense. The water pump can't be forced to 'work beyond it's capacity', which also won't 'force it' to leak.

like what, pmohr?? what should i be looking for??, idk. cars not over heating, and running fine and coolant level is perfect. what in that area could there be coolant leaking from? im going to take a pic tomorrow in the daylight so you can see what its doing.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Err...what?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by tosheto

if you are;nt here to help, f off
Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 AM
nycnissans

Check your blinker fluid......low blinker fluid could be causing restriction in the cooling system hence the leak.

Blinker fluid dipstick is in the trunk on the driver side pocket, be careful this fluid is usually hot even if the car is cold, use gloves.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by secondtonone317
Check your blinker fluid......low blinker fluid could be causing restriction in the cooling system hence the leak.

Blinker fluid dipstick is in the trunk on the driver side pocket, be careful this fluid is usually hot even if the car is cold, use gloves.
Win.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by max ride 41
like what, pmohr?? what should i be looking for??, idk. cars not over heating, and running fine and coolant level is perfect. what in that area could there be coolant leaking from? im going to take a pic tomorrow in the daylight so you can see what its doing.

You have been given all the information you really need to be honest.

Changing the water pump is a PITA. The water pumps on our cars RARELY fail, what fails 99% of the time are the two O rings seperating the Timing chain cover from the coolant side of the motor (where the pump is).

If your car is not overheating and only leaking a little bit of coolant every once in a while i would just leave it alone untill it starts getting to be a problem...

Maybe you have a small crack in your radiator or something that is spraying small amounts of coolant on said sensor making you think the coolant is coming from there? I have no idea what sensor your talking about, but if it IS your CPS, check your oil for coolant. If there is any coolant in your oil it will turn into a chocolate milk sort of consistancy and may even have have froth or foam on the dipstick when you tak it out...it depends on how much water actually is in there...

I highly doubt that its your CPS cause that just doesnt make sense but these are some things to check if you think coolant is coming out of the timing chain cover side...thats a NO COOLANT ZONE as someone already stated on here.

Oh and +1 for overflowing radiator is NOT gona do a dam thing lol...

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Last edited by XeroX; 01-07-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM

ok, to the serious replys i thank you, to the 2 jokers, haha, i know alot more than i let on. i just like to confirm what i think something is so i feel more at ease doing the repair. here are some pics, and, it is the water pump, and the o-ring on the cam sensor looked green for some reason? weird, i think at 200,000 miles its ready for a new pump, its making noises in the morning now too. pics....
Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Just the tip.

Damn, you poor northeastern guys and the rust yall have to deal with.

Let us know how the pump change goes (if you do it yourself). Mines doing the same thing and I've just been putting it off.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 PM
No more Maximas...

The only leaks I see there are the typical CPS o-ring and front valve cover gasket. No coolant to be found.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 AM

well, could'nt get underneath to see where its leaking from, but judging from the drips location im gonna hazard a guess its the weep hole for the water pump. pics to come. i hope im wrong.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM
SLOW

that's oil and grime in your picture, not coolant.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 PM

yea i gotta change the seal on my cps