6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

AM I OVERFILLING OIL??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM

AM I OVERFILLING OIL??????

Yes I know Im gonna catch slack over such a question but, I have had an oil leak from what I thought was oil cooler seal. Changed seal today,checked oil pressure switch and searched all other areas. After cleaning all oil off engine good I drove to store and it looked dry,checked oil added some and drove again,see some oil down there again.Am I just missing the real leak or am I overfilling? Would it overflow outta that area? I know service manual says 4 1/4 quarts with filter,but Nissan said to get it to the very top of knurled locater on dipstick. 4 1/4 quarts puts it in exactly the middle between the L and H(low and high) marks.Two things I dont want is a bleeding woman or a bleeding car,please straighten me out,and dont say get some Midol.maxman7
Old 05-05-2009, 07:21 PM

Did you tighten the oil filter enough? I'm not sure how this is happening, I just changed mine last saturday without problems and I used almost 4 1/2 quarts.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 PM
SmokinMaxSE

I think to much oil is just as bad as low oil. Don't over fill.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 AM

just fill your engine with less amount of oil than your usual amount then test if its still leaking..
Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 AM

me i prolly do another oil change to make sure i put 4 1/4 quarts or check it and make sure you got no bad gasket and leak at the bottom sides or on top..... good luck
Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 AM

oil issues

Originally Posted by whitealexander
just fill your engine with less amount of oil than your usual amount then test if its still leaking..
Thanks boys,I know its not overfilled now. I am 99% sure I located why its leaking,the oil pressure switch,Nissan told me it was ok yesterday but I found a different story when I looked.Under the protective boot on switch is oil soaked,couldnt get in there from outside that bad as its pretty snug fitting.$115 wasted on oil cooler o-ring,but hell it could have been leaking too.I dont know what ya guys are used to driving but this 3.5 seems to have more crappy seals on it than any chevy I,ve owned.And their known for bad rear mains and valve gaskets.Well I gotta pressure switch for $7, I will be so happy if that fixes it,I dont and wont have the option of getting a better car,and hauling children in this car too.maxman7
Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by maxman7
I know service manual says 4 1/4 quarts with filter,but Nissan said to get it to the very top of knurled locater on dipstick. 4 1/4 quarts puts it in exactly the middle between the L and H(low and high) marks.
I'm curious about that bolded remark. I just got my 07 this February from a Nissan dealership, and when I checked the oil, it was a little full, like where you're talking in that curl. I was going to take it back, never got the chance. I'll probably do the oil change here soon anyway.

My question, who told you, the guy's at the dealership?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM

maxman7, maybe I missed it but how many miles are on it, whats the previous history say about the car, not that it matters now but I would think the average 6th Gen should not burn or leak oil.

Mine does not leak at 62k, and I fill it with 5 quarts and a Mobil M1-110 filter
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM

dont really know wht to say
Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Maxman7 found the problem to the oil leak and it was the oil pressure switch (confirmed via PM with me over the problem). I was hoping he would share it with everyone seeming how others may have the same problem. Regardless it was his Oil Pressure Switch that seems to have been the problem. This does not apply to everyone, just the issue he had however it does add to things that should be considered under similar conditions!!!

Last edited by chernmax; 05-08-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM

oil leak issue

Hey Guys, Sorry for the slow response but My father is very ill so I have been little stretched thin. I hope this sums up the the things I started. As for the overfilling issue,Nissan mechanic in Somerset,KY told Me to fill oil level to the very end of the knurled section on dipstick(the checkered looking grooves). on the H side, of course. Reason He gave me is that Nissan acknowledges these engines will use or burn some oil between changes,and they call it normal occurance. He stated that in between the L and H marks is a safe operating range,but that since it is apt to burn some off, it is reccomended to fill to high side of range.With that said My car did not burn a drop of oil between My first change. As for My leak, it was not from any type of overfilling. It was simply a loose oil pressure switch,that they were supposed to have checked by the way. I found the leak Myself,with a little help from Chernmax.And replaced the switch. I used some teflon thread tape on it ,since there are no seals or gaskets on the switch itself or the base it attaches to. The nissan service manual says to use a high quality sealant on the switch,which I plan to do on My next oil change. I have no leakage whatsoever with the tape but it could break down and start after long periods so I cant yet recomend it. I still have some oil leaking from holes in the control arm if this tells ya how nasty of a leak this can be. Anyway I hope I didnt confuse anyone bout there oil level,I guess its your own preference,Mine dont use any oil so I just did the 41/4 quarts with new filter change,which puts it exactly in the middle between L and H marks on dipstick. By the way thanks to Chernmax for the encouragement,I was bout to give up,with all thats going on with My Dad. I will have to say, even though Nissan didnt catch My pressure switch issue they done the tranny flush,drive belts and oil cooler seal for much much less than any other garage quoted. tranny flush $ 100,Drve belts $40 plus $40 for belts and $85 for oil cooler plus $4 for seal.And Yes I checked to make sure all were performed. I always do My own work unless its major but too much stuff going on now,so I have to say I was pleased with the service Nissan done,other than the switch. Is that the first time anyone has muttered those words?maxman7
Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by maxman7
Hey Guys, Sorry for the slow response but My father is very ill so I have been little stretched thin. I hope this sums up the the things I started. As for the overfilling issue,Nissan mechanic in Somerset,KY told Me to fill oil level to the very end of the knurled section on dipstick(the checkered looking grooves). on the H side, of course. Reason He gave me is that Nissan acknowledges these engines will use or burn some oil between changes,and they call it normal occurance. He stated that in between the L and H marks is a safe operating range,but that since it is apt to burn some off, it is reccomended to fill to high side of range.With that said My car did not burn a drop of oil between My first change. As for My leak, it was not from any type of overfilling. It was simply a loose oil pressure switch,that they were supposed to have checked by the way. I found the leak Myself,with a little help from Chernmax.And replaced the switch. I used some teflon thread tape on it ,since there are no seals or gaskets on the switch itself or the base it attaches to. The nissan service manual says to use a high quality sealant on the switch,which I plan to do on My next oil change. I have no leakage whatsoever with the tape but it could break down and start after long periods so I cant yet recomend it. I still have some oil leaking from holes in the control arm if this tells ya how nasty of a leak this can be. Anyway I hope I didnt confuse anyone bout there oil level,I guess its your own preference,Mine dont use any oil so I just did the 41/4 quarts with new filter change,which puts it exactly in the middle between L and H marks on dipstick. By the way thanks to Chernmax for the encouragement,I was bout to give up,with all thats going on with My Dad. I will have to say, even though Nissan didnt catch My pressure switch issue they done the tranny flush,drive belts and oil cooler seal for much much less than any other garage quoted. tranny flush $ 100,Drve belts $40 plus $40 for belts and $85 for oil cooler plus $4 for seal.And Yes I checked to make sure all were performed. I always do My own work unless its major but too much stuff going on now,so I have to say I was pleased with the service Nissan done,other than the switch. Is that the first time anyone has muttered those words?maxman7
God bless bro, hope your father gets well soon.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:48 AM

what type of oil do you use for the 6th gen max? like 5w30 5w50 or what?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2004 Maxima SE... 96,000 miles. It leaks oil at a rate of more than a few drops. The dealership looked at it and determined in their expert opinion it was the oil pressure switch and replaced it. It still leaks oil. I have not been able to locate the source yet. I have three previous Nissans and all three had a bad front seal... not sure if this could be the source or not. I would love to hear from anyone that might have an oil leak caused by something other than a faulty switch. P.S. I really appreciate all of the informative and detailed postings... they are very helpful.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 AM

Just wondering if you can post up a picture of where to locate the switch in case we want to check on our own. Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM
SuPeRmOd

do you see the leaking oil?

It is normal for oil to burn off up to 1 quart each 2500 miles. some even report a quart low at 1000.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 PM

glad that the leak was found and that chernmax help out. nice to have ppl look out for eachother
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Always check for leaks