4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Purchased a short Ram intake with no hole for the air temp sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cashoit
Nice setup....i wd have drilled the hole for mine but i was lazy so i went with the short ram
thanks, it's actually not bad at all man - took me like 10 minutes, and i didn't even have a 3 inch drill bit.

i just removed the fuse box, set the intake tube on top of where it would be going to, traced the outline with a red sharpee and used a really small drill bit to go around the outline. actually really easy & doesn't take long, trust me u should do it - the short ram was how i had mine setup at first cuz i was worried about drilling into the car - but after about a week, i figured "screw it, i put this in by myself so far, i can drill a hole"

NISSAN runs awesome on cold air.. & that short ram does no good unless u have a heat shield. without a shield it just catches all the heat from the engine bay.

down in the wheel well it gets nothing but cool, clean air. have had no problems with hydro-lock, and i wont.. LOL only way to really have that happen is if you are in about 2 feet of water & smash on the throttle. other than that, it doesn't have enough suction to pull water in to it, especially thru the K&N cone filter being sealed.

Last edited by ROrsich; 03-05-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ROrsich
thanks, it's actually not bad at all man - took me like 10 minutes, and i didn't even have a 3 inch drill bit.

i just removed the fuse box, set the intake tube on top of where it would be going to, traced the outline with a red sharpee and used a really small drill bit to go around the outline. actually really easy & doesn't take long, trust me u should do it - the short ram was how i had mine setup at first cuz i was worried about drilling into the car - but after about a week, i figured "screw it, i put this in by myself so far, i can drill a hole"

NISSAN runs awesome on cold air.. & that short ram does no good unless u have a heat shield. without a shield it just catches all the heat from the engine bay.
THats pretty ingenuous man. I like it.

I know u mean about the heat. what a lotta of us did was keep the stock intake funnel installed to direct cold air onto the intake, effectively creating a cold zone behind the battery. It works nice. When i tested it out after an hr drive to boston, the entire intake was cool to the touch while the engine was still warm.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 PM

Honestly you can leave it out or just slip the cone filter over the air temp sensor. Not to be a D but you did buy a ebay intake(Which I know many members have). They aren't always going to be built correctly.