4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ultimate Light Setups thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by NYC A32
Heres mines....Thinking about switching it up tho.

R34s with FX35 projectors & clear lens mod paired with TSX projectors.
GTI replica shrouds with LEDS in them (i try going for the iron man look, but failed because the top and bottom clearance).

I'll post more better pics from the guys who built this for me once I get on my pc.
Awesome setup. How much did those headlights cost you after all the work?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:24 AM

parts+labor+wiring harness+ having him install it on my car cuz he had to take off some of my frame= between 1300-1500...alot of money where alot of ppl wouldnt spent it. i could of shopd around more but im pretty happy with the set up and was worth it to me. =]
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Black Lion

Most people with duel projectors spend at least a grand or close to it. Nothing new, it really all depends on the type of projectors you want and whether you do a lens swap etc.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Yea but alot of maxima (nyc) owners are either cheap or "can get a greater deal" then what i got lol some people just dont understand. Everytime I go to a meet and people come look at them.. ask how much and they like whatttt thats to much, thats crazy. I'm like um....count. 4 PROJECTORS lol thats 2 SETS and one has clear lens mod.

Forgot to add this has a custom harness i had him make sep. switchs to turn on the inner (tsx) projectors on and also the inner and outter (LEDS). So i can have full functions on how I would want to have them set up on diff. nights.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
Most people with duel projectors spend at least a grand or close to it. Nothing new, it really all depends on the type of projectors you want and whether you do a lens swap etc.
My setup cost well under $500.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Black Lion

Yea but alot of maxima (nyc) owners are either cheap or "can get a greater deal" then what i got lol some people just dont understand. Everytime I go to a meet and people come look at them.. ask how much and they like whatttt thats to much, thats crazy. I'm like um....count. 4 PROJECTORS lol thats 2 SETS and one has clear lens mod.

Yeah I agree a lot of people are cheap but if they can save money, more power to them. My setup cost me so much cause I also have the real ZKW lens swap and halogen projectors as a DRL. So with shrouds and complete TL projector set and headlights it all adds up. I also spent about 1500 on my leather seats. I'll run my car to the ground so I really don't care how much I spend on it, If I want something I get it. Within reason of course.

Forgot to add this has a custom harness i had him make sep. switchs to turn on the inner (tsx) projectors on and also the inner and outter (LEDS). So i can have full functions on how I would want to have them set up on diff. nights.
Originally Posted by nalc
My setup cost well under $500.
nalc I saw most of what you did over at hidplanet.com mostly custom stuff which why you spent that amount. Great job.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:03 PM

If I could have saved 1g and had time to have done it myself I would of also lol. But full time job and college = no diy
Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 PM

It's just like any other DIY project. Some people here get their oil changed at the dealership. Some people swap their transmissions in the hotel parking lot after they blew it drag racing at Maxus 2009 (true story).

DIY retrofits are not difficult. They can be intimidating, because it's very custom. It's not like there are a set of simple steps to follow. Adjustments are very finnicky, and take a good eye and some experience to get good at them. Mounting brackets are different for every projector. You can't retrofit a TSX the same way you retrofit an e46. My Catera projectors are huge, and are mounted in a very unique way.

You need to be comfortable working with very small brackets and screws, and making tiny adjustments, and 'tuning' for a significant amount of time.

That being said, I have some cool stuff in the works that you're gonna see at Maxus 2010. And I'm probably going to spend a few weekends getting it together.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:11 AM

parts+labor+wiring harness+ having him install it on my car cuz he had to take off some of my frame= between 1300-1500...alot of money where alot of ppl wouldnt spent it. i could of shopd around more but im pretty happy with the set up and was worth it to me. =]
Looks great man. Why not remove the stock orange bumper lights though?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:33 PM

That's old pictures I have black bumper lights now
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi everyone, it wont let me create a thread.. so I have a quick question?

What would the piece that plugs in to the selected area be called??

I have no idea what part I should be asking for/searching for..

It's a front parking light if that helps any..
Old 03-04-2010, 07:34 PM

^^ That would be a side marker light harness.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TLMNICK
^^ That would be a side marker light harness.
umm.. just to be sure, I have the piece that is circled in the photo - But the piece that is connected to the wire is wrong - Maaco screwed up & put the wrong one on there - So I need to find the correct one so that the circled part can connect to the wire.. Sorry if you knew what I meant already & that was the answer.. LOL I'm still learning a lot
Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Hey I just checked out this guy's pics and what he did to his turn signals....Anyone know how I would go about doing this to my maxima? Lol im new so I would appreciate telling me in newbie language lol
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Hey I just checked out this guy's pics and what he did to his turn signals to get them like this?....http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?a...ictureid=15096 http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?a...ictureid=15094 Anyone know how I would go about doing this to my maxima? Lol im new so I would appreciate telling me in newbie language lol
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by NYTooCooL
Hey I just checked out this guy's pics and what he did to his turn signals to get them like this?....http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?a...ictureid=15096 http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?a...ictureid=15094 Anyone know how I would go about doing this to my maxima? Lol im new so I would appreciate telling me in newbie language lol
I don't know how HE did it, but you can achieve the same thing with buying a strip of LED lights from ebay, you will have to not be afraid of fabbing up some wiring for them, it's easy and cheap to do.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 PM

A safe and legal turn signal, cheap LED strips do not make, padawan.

If you want LED turns, do it the right way. Amber Superflux LEDs, at least 30 of them, on a PCB and voltage regulated. A LED strip does not produce nearly enough light to be functional as anything besides a sidemarker or MAYBE a parking/running light. Signals and brakes, go incandescent, or go custom LEDs.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM

Bump
Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 AM

Bump
That's a custom LED job man. Not an easy task if you're not familiar with that kind of thing.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Sold

ok... here's my contrubition:
the Details:
MDX projector on the inner.
TSX projector on the outter.
R34 black housing headlights (of course)
Work completed by max-gtr2000. they are still being built. he needs to finish off the shroud and hopefully the TSX will get a color mod.

MOAR pictures once I get them back and they are installed on the car.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 AM

I'll just put this right here.

Dual projector setups are plenty common.

More rare are quad projector setups.

That is a six projector setup.

Outboard projector is a Blazer projector with a yellow-tinted 28w 880 bulb, for projector fog/parking lights

Next to it is a TFX... that's an OEM FX bi-xenon projector with the clear lens from a TSX. This uses a Philips 85122 bulb boosted to 55w with a GReddy 55w ballast.

And inboard is an AP1 S2000 clear lens, one of the greatest projectors ever made. This one is a Philips 85122+ bulb with a DDM 35w ballast.

Blazer comes on with the parking lamps. S2K comes on with the low-beams. TFX comes on with the high-beams.

Rather than using the typical relay harness, there is a custom-built harness using a fuse and relay box from a Mitsubishi that has 2 fuses and 4 relays. Wiring is very complicated.

Car is being sold, and the retrofit is in the process of being parted out. Unfourtunately, I don't have any pictures of it taken apart. However, I am quite confident that it is the Ultimate Light Setup for a 4th gen.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 AM

^^^Price for retro??
Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Sold

Car is being sold, and the retrofit is in the process of being parted out. Unfourtunately, I don't have any pictures of it taken apart. However, I am quite confident that it is the Ultimate Light Setup for a 4th gen.
that is pretty sweet. I was considering doing a 6 setup, but couldn't find a set of porsche cornering projectors from the cayenne for a reasonable price. Truth, I couldn't find them at all. I didn't even consider the blazer projectors.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
^^^Price for retro??
It's already parted out.The mounting and stuff was done, but it wasn't sealed, and would take a significant amount of fabrication work. I was going to learn how to mold fiberglass to do it, but my clutch throwout bearing broke and the Maxima is being sold.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Boosted Panda

Outboard projector is a Blazer projector with a yellow-tinted 28w 880 bulb, for projector fog/parking lights

Next to it is a TFX... that's an OEM FX bi-xenon projector with the clear lens from a TSX. This uses a Philips 85122 bulb boosted to 55w with a GReddy 55w ballast.

And inboard is an AP1 S2000 clear lens, one of the greatest projectors ever made. This one is a Philips 85122+ bulb with a DDM 35w ballast.

Blazer comes on with the parking lamps. S2K comes on with the low-beams. TFX comes on with the high-beams.

Rather than using the typical relay harness, there is a custom-built harness using a fuse and relay box from a Mitsubishi that has 2 fuses and 4 relays. Wiring is very complicated.

I really like the Hi and low setups, great projector choices and the output must be amazing. However having that mini projoector for the corners just seems over the top. Why would a projector be needed in that area other then the simple reason of saying I have 6 projectors?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Black Lion

Nalc, lets see some pics of those babies fired up. I want to see what the corners look like at night and against a wall.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Here is mine: Hella E55 Bi-Xenon Projectors in ebay chrome clear glass headlight housings w/ 8k bulbs. I think I'm going to switch to 6k though.

Last edited by Shift_Nismo; 03-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
I really like the Hi and low setups, great projector choices and the output must be amazing. However having that mini projoector for the corners just seems over the top. Why would a projector be needed in that area other then the simple reason of saying I have 6 projectors?
Why wouldn't a projector be needed in that area?

I wanted six projectors. Nobody else has a hexa-retrofit. Since my headlights are blacked out and my turn signals are smoked, I didn't want chrome reflector corner lights. Just spraying the reflector black or gunmetal looks stupid. Only option that would be bright and look like it wasn't just painted over was going with projector parking lamps.

I will try to snap a picture or two of the individual projector outputs. Unfortunately, the Maxima is currently being sold. The S2K projectors are in the mail, the Blazer projectors have been paid for and are awaiting pickup, and the TFX projectors are up for sale ($130 shipped, if anyone wants them).

For a few months, I had the best lit 4th gen. Now, I'm car-less.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Sold

ugh. that's a great price on the tfx. SOmeone should grab those asap.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:01 PM

great price
Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Boosted Panda

Why wouldn't a projector be needed in that area?
IDK, maybe because it is just a parking light. To me it just seemed like overkill, kind of like putting a small projector for a turn signal or even a reverse light.
But if you simply wanted just to have six projectors then so be it and props to you for having a six projector setup.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 08-14-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
IDK, maybe because it is just a parking light. To me it just seemed like overkill, kind of like putting a small projector for a turn signal or even a reverse light.
But if you simply wanted just to have six projectors then so be it and props to you for having a six projector setup.
It's a dim, yellow halogen bulb though. Not much of a brightness difference from the parking light. Mostly there for the ability to remove the chrome reflector turn signal for a blacked-out headlight.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 AM

I'm going to attempt to make my own projectors this year and I was able to get some Halo style projectors from the junkyard for FREE from a civic and was wondering if those were good to use for retro or if it's not worth the time and hassle.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by OgerisG321
I'm going to attempt to make my own projectors this year and I was able to get some Halo style projectors from the junkyard for FREE from a civic and was wondering if those were good to use for retro or if it's not worth the time and hassle.
IMO I wouldn't use those type of projectors, your output will probably be crap. Invest in a good set of projectors and do it right the first time.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Get real HID projectors. They are not that much more expensive, and will be bright. Why go through the trouble of a retrofit just to install some garbage aftermarket projectors that are worse than the stock headlights?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Sold

Get real HID projectors. They are not that much more expensive, and will be bright. Why go through the trouble of a retrofit just to install some garbage aftermarket projectors that are worse than the stock headlights?
and then have to re-do it cause your not happy with the output. Do it once, do it right.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by JSMax
and then have to re-do it cause your not happy with the output. Do it once, do it right.
Or buy cheap projector parts for the hell of it, to play with them and get a feel for what would be involved in retrofitting, but not plan on actually doing it. Then do a retrofit. Then decide you're not happy with it because you don't have high beams, so sell it. Then buy R34s and real HID projectors, and do a HID low and halogen reflector high setup. Change your mind again, and get halogen projector highs. Get tired of the HID lows, so buy halogen lowbeam projectors and put those in, and put the HID projectors in another set of headlights and sell those. Then get tired of the halogen lows, so put in a HID kit and sell those, and buy bi-xenon projectors and halogen high beam projectors on a second set of R34s. Get a good price on a set of bi-xenon and single-xenon projectors, so put the old bi-xenon projectors in another set of headlights and sell those. Then install the new set into the R34s, and take it to Maxus. Remove them afterwards, so you can learn to fiberglass and seal them up. Then have the clutch throwout bearing fail, and sell the car, and split up the projectors to sell.

I kid you not. I have gone through five retrofits, beginning nearly 2 years ago. I have never had one on the car for more than a week straight. In those two years, I'd estimate a cumulative total of driving for 1 month with retrofitted headlights, half of which was Maxus 2009 and Maxus 2010. I've spent $2,500 on lighting equipment over the past 2 years, and I've made it all back by re-selling that equipment.

Ogeris, go to ebay motors, and buy a pair of DEPO 97-99 headlights. Bake off the lenses. Go to theretrofitsource.com and buy the Morimoto mini bix projectors, and install them. No cutting required. Buy a H1 HID kit from DDMtuning.com and install it. All in all, you're looking at about $250 for a killer lighting setup, and you can do it in one afternoon.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 PM

wat headlights look best.
are the halo ones good?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 AM

Ok so I'll invest the money into the right projectors but I want the Demon Eye look on both my Max and I don't want to go and **** up the lights by trying to make them. And something deep inside of me tells me that's whats going to happen if I do it myself.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by OgerisG321
Ok so I'll invest the money into the right projectors but I want the Demon Eye look on both my Max and I don't want to go and **** up the lights by trying to make them. And something deep inside of me tells me that's whats going to happen if I do it myself.
Buy a second set, so you don't have a time crunch.

Join HIDPlanet.com and read the "University Section" which is full of FAQs.

Take it slow, and if something doesn't look right, stop, take a picture of it, and post it. Either me or someone else will tell you what the issue is.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Light Setups thread