4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Slower top speed because of Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 08:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Slower top speed because of Intake

I've heard that some people were not able to achieve as high of a top speed after getting an intake, as compared to when they were running with the stock air box. Just wanted to know if this happened to everyone that switched or just a few and what was the difference. Not that I always go 130, but I would not want it to go down to 110 or something ridiculous like that.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:11 PM

Not that I know of.

But I've never tried. That crawl from 120 to 130 takes to long for me. Thats where its easy to run out of luck.
Old 12-07-2001, 08:21 PM

Re: Slower top speed because of Intake

Originally posted by JUDE
I've heard that some people were not able to achieve as high of a top speed after getting an intake, as compared to when they were running with the stock air box. Just wanted to know if this happened to everyone that switched or just a few and what was the difference. Not that I always go 130, but I would not want it to go down to 110 or something ridiculous like that.

ummm... This is a negative. You can still do 130, or even 140 if you got the road, with an intake.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:02 PM

Re: Re: Slower top speed because of Intake

Originally posted by Victim64

ummm... This is a negative. You can still do 130, or even 140 if you got the road, with an intake.

True that.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:57 PM

I always heard that ppl will lose top end HP instead of top end SPEED?
Old 12-07-2001, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
I always heard that ppl will lose top end HP instead of top end SPEED?
I have heard of Low end HP loss because of aftermarket intakes such as the stillen or K&N. I have a Place Racing CAI, and i have noticed absolutely NO low end HP loss. Havent noticed any loss on the top end either. In fact i think i have gained a little since i put it on.. on both top and low end HP gains. Personally, I got the Place Racing CAI just because of the growl, but hey... thats just me. To each his/her own i guess.
Old 12-08-2001, 06:45 AM

I don't see why you would lose power on either side with a cone filter. you have less vacuum than the stock box so it breathes easier on either side. I think the CAI benefits you more on the top side with the better air coming through the MAF. I think I noticed a better throttle response with the cone filter more than I did anything.
Old 12-08-2001, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by SLC I30t
I think the CAI benefits you more on the top side with the better air coming through the MAF. I think I noticed a better throttle response with the cone filter more than I did anything.
Actually, It would be a perfect setup to have a CAI during low to mid range, and a JWT/SI during mid to high range. Once the car is moving and getting fresh air into the engine the JWT/SI with the velocity stack will help in gains more so in the top end than the CAI. If the JWT/SI had fresh cold air all the time like the CAI, it would be the best intake, but... it doesn't. And the debate over the two continue LOL All I have to say on it is that if you don't want to cut a hole then get the JWT/SI, but if you want to cut a hole then get the CAI. Or, if you plan on getting a SC in the near future then don't cut a hole
Old 12-08-2001, 08:51 AM

Is there any fact to this? or just opinion?
I'm in the market to upgrade from a pop charger, I've looked at the arospeed cold air panel induction box looking thing....you know the one that looks a lot like an intercooler. But thats a couple of bills plus the piping, but it would be a sweet thing to have direct airflow like a RAM air induction concept.
Old 12-08-2001, 08:55 AM

I'm in the market to upgrade from a pop charger, I've looked at the arospeed cold air panel induction box looking thing....you know the one that looks a lot like an intercooler. But thats a couple of bills plus the piping, but it would be a sweet thing to have direct airflow like a RAM air induction concept.
cough *rice* cough
Old 12-08-2001, 09:04 AM

ummm... I don't think I know any Maxima owner that has that, or that I would recomend buying that??
Old 12-08-2001, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by got rice?

cough *rice* cough
Got rice? got it - its rice . The bends you would have to go through would eliminate all the "ram" air effect of the intake, really increasing power no more than a generic intake (which it is). Plus, the only reason people (or should I say Hondaboys?) buy it is because it looks like an intercooler.
-Cyrus
Old 12-08-2001, 02:09 PM

well here we go again cyrus...
lets see... how many bends already consist the CAI that doesn't have ANY direct flow? Ok shut up then.
The only difference is that it continues in the same path as the last bend into open open fascia for direct flow, it would create more airflow (not as much as direct air induction) but certainly more than the current behind the bumper design.
And I'll remind you that there was starting point for all mods as well, so I'll assume that you base it's "rice" flavor by its vendor and I also will go forth in assuming the reason why you know so much about the psyche of the Honda boys is because you are one at heart?
Victim64-don't be VICTIM of your own narrowminded ness. I know more civics and tegs that run NOS and turbos than Maximas, so does that mean you would never recommend one puts it in there car? Ok then you can sit down next to cyrus in the dunce cap on your head.
Phoung-I know that you have more to say about this but you must have a cold.

In conclusion, there are plenty of parts that remind us of hondas and mitsubishi's but have good looks and performance potentials big *** stereo's/super dark tint/carbon fiber/exhaust tips/aero kits/clear corners/colored lights...../even phoungs chrome extinguisher. So unless your car is bone stock with out those goofy shoulder pads on the seat bealts and shifting on an aluminum ****.. A simple, I don't think it would provide an adequate difference would have sufficed.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:36 PM

Okay, GENIUS...

When was the last time you looked at the intake? The piping is setup on the LEFT SIDE for Hondas & Acuras (the only cars they make it for). And since our throttle bodies are on the RIGHT, you would have to run LOADS of piping to get them working (BIG drag coefficient). Not to mention they are designed for 4-cylinder engine with smaller throttle-bodies, so the tiny piping will decrease peformance. And may I remind you that a proper CAI setup for the Maxima has a hole in the fenderwall so that there is air coming into it. And let me also remind you the Arospeed intake reduces air flow to your radiator by installing it where you want it to go. It's not rice for some cars, but for a Maxima (or I30) in particular, I'm willing to bet a dyno will prove no more power gain than a generic cone intake. BTW I have nothing against Arospeed (I have an Arospeed loom kit on my car). And you are calling me a riceboy? Would you like me to cut and post your mods from your website? I like your "soon to come" mods, but my question is when are they coming? And do you not think Phoung knows his stuff? He SELLS this stuff - do you? Put it on your car if you like, and show me the gains, and if they are good, I'll admit I'm wrong. Until then, you are. (Just like that BMW/Max thing we had last time).
-Cyrus
Old 12-08-2001, 03:46 PM

Re: Okay, GENIUS...

Old 12-08-2001, 06:39 PM

Re: Re: Okay, GENIUS...

hmmmm, ok genius I guess this like your bmw screw up rebutal...again.
Don't miss the argument this time ok, son.
Now hmmm, how do you mount your cone filter upside down? hmmmm can you put your panel filter on pointing in the wrong direction? Hmmmm, lets see, NO.
now as far as my my soon to come mods... lets see there are some cross drilled rotors...yep they are on my car the y pipe... yep it's on there... oh I didn't go with the Apexi WS, I went with the new cattman exhaust... it's in the mail. So I got you mods hanging in my shorts, speaking of shorts your ********* probably haven't even dropped yet have they. What do you have on your car...oh thats right your ultra low profile rims that mommy and daddy bought huh? When you stand on your own 2 feet and do your own work for your own ride, I'll take in consideration that probably your stupidity is just that your parents ate paint chips and dropped you on your head a couple times.
Phoung does know his ****, and that probably why he has done nothing more that express his upper respitory congestion.
Next time you use these big words like drag coefficient learn what it means, as$. Learn how you intake works too, before you go off and try to make a statement. And since you don't even add to the progression of the maxima community I would suggest that you just keep your ears to the ground and eyes open.
Old 12-08-2001, 06:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Okay, GENIUS...

1. I won the BMW dispute and you know it - I still have the pics and PMs b*tch.
2. GENIUS - the piping would then be pointing down and that's a good 8" of pipiing which would then be on the ground. They are designed to go RIGHT TO THE THROTTLE BODY of those cars its designed for, so flipping it upside down would so SH*T for you except have a load of piping in the wrong direction. And you didn't answer how the small piping is going to benefit our 6-cylinders.
3. Okay, you have a good about of mods. ONE FOR YOU...
4. You know I paid for everything except for that reciever myself - is this like the 5th time I've told you? I paid for part of the car, the rims, springs, and everything else. Its called WORK - don't believe me? Feel free to call Sentara Healthcare and ask them yourself. Sorry I don't make mad money and I can't afford so many mods.
5. You said Phoung knows his sh*t. He said its rice. You said its not. WHO DO YOU THINK PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE???
6. If its such a GREAT intake, how come so few people have it? How come no Maxima people have custom installed it on their car? (Face it - its not that expensive).
7. You didn't address the radiator problem.
8. What have you done for the Maxima community? (*Hint* trying to get POS rice products into the scene like that intake isn't good).
-Cyrus
Old 12-08-2001, 07:26 PM

BTW SLC I30t...

I'm up to make a bet when you are. You get one and install it and if it proves to be ANY more power than what anyone has as far as normal induction goes now, you get the $$$.
-Cyrus
Old 12-08-2001, 08:35 PM

Victim64-don't be VICTIM of your own narrowminded ness. I know more civics and tegs that run NOS and turbos than Maximas, so does that mean you would never recommend one puts it in there car? Ok then you can sit down next to cyrus in the dunce cap on your head.
I will not recommend an aftermarket mod that has not been proven to work on the car in question. Since I am so narrow-minded, and you are so open-minded, then you put this mod on your car and tell us all how well it works for you.
Old 12-09-2001, 01:06 AM

streets for the cai. just an intake for the highway...
Old 12-09-2001, 07:52 AM

BRAVO Cyrus way to tell me off....Whew, I'll need a loratab after that one.
ok here we go.
1. the dispute wasn't about your car being lower, it was that a bmw 325iwagon doesn't come with an aerokit and it sits higher than a stock sedan/coupe.
2. Genius-the piping for this intake is on the side and is a universal fit for 3 inch piping, incidentaly the 3inch port is on the right side of the collecter box. its a 3 in port, there mr wizard so I'll let you read your post and put the pieces together.
5. Phoung is a good resource, and he has yet to say anything other than cough rice cough. If a product like this was introduced be any other vendor, all of you name brand junkies would be like....oh damn Cattman has new intake out. I just fail to see why people who are so set on performance will doom a part because its name. But I won't blame you for this, it's human nature.
6. I don't know why people haven't tried it, maybe its a new product. I just saw it at EIP a few days ago. It also maybe because it's 150 bucks, there aren't nearly as many people out there with CAI's as there are with plain cone filters.
7. To block a small portion of the radiator isn't going to create a big issue for your car. People put drill covers over their grills on a daily basis, for example trucks, semi's... so your 12x7 inch intake collector won't limit your cars cooling ability.
8. Lets see, what am I adding to the community, I'm working with Dallas (WSP) on an a CAI that doesn't require cutting your fender and should provide better flow (less tubing and bends). I've been working on a project for a new aero kit for the I30's. I know it's not a lot, and it's probably not worth bringing up... but it's something right?

So did you look up drag coefficient?

Victim-I apologize for pulling a play on words with your name...not cool. I wasn't recommending that this device be put on your car. I am inquiring more about the concept. Look at my first post again (you too vyrus) http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....wpost...enough said.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:00 AM

Reading posts

I've been reading these posts and they're quite amusing. SLC, I hope you don't think the Arospeed kit will work on a Maxima without custom piping, because it is backwards and flipping the piping will not help at all. It would be pointing the wrong direction as Vyrus had previously stated if installed on the Maxima air induction apparatus. Draw a diagram of how the piping is bent if you need visual assistance. Also, you spelled respiratory wrong, so you shouldn't really even be talking about using heavy vocabulary like drag coefficient when you don't even know the basic 6th grade health class terminology. And even if this egregiously designed product were to appear on the market underneath a brand like Cattman, Stillen or HKS, no one in their right mind would be going gah gah over it. It looks absolutely ridiculous. A 12" wannabe intercooler look(it fails so badly in trying to look high performance), which cannot even cover the small gap in our Maxima valances. I can also imagine the dimishing utility of the actual air filter. It'll be completely dirty in about 2 hours if you take it on a dusty road. No amount of marketing can possibly lure some of the smarter members of the org into purchasing this piece of isht and modifying it to make it work. I would, however, like to see SLC try to put this thing on and look like a moron when he turns the piping around. Then he'll go to Home Depot and get some dryer hose and run it all the way down into the front bumper and get a 3 horsepower loss instead of gain. F#$^ing retard.

BRAVO Cyrus way to tell me off....Whew, I'll need a loratab after that one.
ok here we go.
1. the dispute wasn't about your car being lower, it was that a bmw 325iwagon doesn't come with an aerokit and it sits higher than a stock sedan/coupe.
2. Genius-the piping for this intake is on the side and is a universal fit for 3 inch piping, incidentaly the 3inch port is on the right side of the collecter box. its a 3 in port, there mr wizard so I'll let you read your post and put the pieces together.
5. Phoung is a good resource, and he has yet to say anything other than cough rice cough. If a product like this was introduced be any other vendor, all of you name brand junkies would be like....oh damn Cattman has new intake out. I just fail to see why people who are so set on performance will doom a part because its name. But I won't blame you for this, it's human nature.
6. I don't know why people haven't tried it, maybe its a new product. I just saw it at EIP a few days ago. It also maybe because it's 150 bucks, there aren't nearly as many people out there with CAI's as there are with plain cone filters.
7. To block a small portion of the radiator isn't going to create a big issue for your car. People put drill covers over their grills on a daily basis, for example trucks, semi's... so your 12x7 inch intake collector won't limit your cars cooling ability.
8. Lets see, what am I adding to the community, I'm working with Dallas (WSP) on an a CAI that doesn't require cutting your fender and should provide better flow (less tubing and bends). I've been working on a project for a new aero kit for the I30's. I know it's not a lot, and it's probably not worth bringing up... but it's something right?

So did you look up drag coefficient?

Victim-I apologize for pulling a play on words with your name...not cool. I wasn't recommending that this device be put on your car. I am inquiring more about the concept. Look at my first post again (you too vyrus) http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....wpost...enough said.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:05 AM

SLC I30t...

Since when has there been a 3" universal? There isn't! I just looked at Arospeed.com's homepage and they're all specific-fit!
-Cyrus
Old 12-09-2001, 09:48 AM

The box says universal fit. I didn't go and try to fit it on to my car. The device shows the port leaving the intake from the right, which is the same place that ours leads in from. Maybe it won't work, maybe it will. The point that no one, including our MaximaGTR34 can realize, is it's not the arospeed design I like it's the concept of direct flow. There are zero direct flow intakes on the market for the maxima. Can either of you understand that? Yes GTR34, my typing is a little less than desired. I hope you chalked yourself up with cool points for your observations.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:56 AM

But there is..

There is direct flow from the CAI - not from the front of the car but it is direct. And Maximagtr34 made a good point - what about all the crap that is going to fly in there while your driving? Sand, water, rocks - thats all going to build up in your filter much faster than a CAI or cone intake. And Arospeed's site still says nothing about a universal one, but its down right now so I'll check back later. And some people on the .Org have run piping from their foglight hole (generic cone intake) to their throttle bodies and they have not seen any more gain than the CAI. I'm not exactly sure who they are, but you may find it on a search. Why do you think it doesn't work? TOO MUCH PIPING!!!
-Cyrus
Old 12-09-2001, 11:04 AM

The piping from the current CAI, would be extended from where the cai is currently. Yes the CAI require more attention than our intakes, but thats the price of performace, and I don't know about you but I'm not driving down dirt roads on a country farm. I had to clean the iceman CAI on my CL once a month. I know of what the posts you are reffering too, they took shop vac tubing to route more air into the engine bay (POP filter)not to TB. I agree you loose some velocity from the bends in the tubing, but you have already lost that in the current CAI as well.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:19 PM

Piping

Piping issues. hmm lets see. From the MAF box to the battery, thats about a good foot. Relocate the battery, run piping down into the front fender area, about another foot, then under to the front bumper area and back around the radiator, another two feet. That is just about four feet piping alone, not to mention about four bends that will kill airflow. In my humble opinion, the Arospeed intake will really suck for Maxima's. Its a lot easier for a Civic because all they have to do is remove the stock airbox and the intake piping channel that runs from the bumper. The piping would replace all of this and go straight down into the bumper because there already is space for it there. Saves on bends and requires less distance of piping.

I RECOMMEND: someone slice open their hood right above the battery area, and get some RAM AIR going into the engine. I believe that would solve all our airflow qualms. That would probably produce a good 12 HP, but at the cost of ugliness. Just have to worry about keeping water out of there on a rainy day.