4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP: Cattman headers gasket not same as OEM??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HELP: Cattman headers gasket not same as OEM??

I have my mechanic fixing my headers because there was an exhaust leak coming from the rear headers. He took them off and said he gasket that I used for the Cattman headers is not the same as the OEM/aftermarket ones they carry in the local store(Advanced auto parts, pepboys, etc) He says he as to order them and my car will be down for another couple days until the parts arrive. I was under the imperession that the gaskets were the same? Please clear this up because he is in the middle of the fix..
Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Nevermind. I just called Brian, he's the man!!! Picked up on non-bussiness hours and helped me out!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:47 AM

i am doing a header install very soon, and would like to know what you found out. from what i heard, nothing is better than going to the dealer for OEM.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:27 PM

I'm also doing a header install soon. Brian offered to get some oem gaskets for me cuz he can get them cheaper than I can at the dealer. (he charged me $25).
Old 04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I also have to replace exhaust manifold gaskets on my 97 SE, I picked up some Fel Pro from Advance Auto for $11 bucks. I've been bit in the *** for using cheap **** but it really needs to get done so I'm taking my chances with this.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Thats kinda weird..THe Y-pipe fits up to stock manifold no probs right?

I dont really see why cttman exhaust would be much different size. THe aftermarket exhaust manifolds ive seen dont look to much effective than stock. Jus shiny
Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I also have to replace exhaust manifold gaskets on my 97 SE, I picked up some Fel Pro from Advance Auto for $11 bucks. I've been bit in the *** for using cheap **** but it really needs to get done so I'm taking my chances with this.
Trust me, dont use those. You will be changing them again soon. Save yourself the hastle from a PITA header job and either get the hard metal gaskets from the dealer or re use your old ones.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
Trust me, dont use those. You will be changing them again soon. Save yourself the hastle from a PITA header job and either get the hard metal gaskets from the dealer or re use your old ones.
I DID reuse the old ones and it looks like the car is on fire and people start freaking out lol

Yea I've had bad experiences with them but at the moment I just need to get the 97 back on the road...

I purchased it with a hydrolocked engine January 2009 and I dropped in Kzoosho's old 99's engine and replaced everything while it was out except those two damn gaskets cuz I ran out of funds and thats the ONLY thing hold me down from having this car driveable. If these can keep the car on the road for a year I'll be happy.

Believe it or not, the Fel Pro's I picked up are of similar to OEM material. I believe it's similar material to OEM, I believe its called graphite but I could be wrong.. oh well, they're going on lol
Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I DID reuse the old ones and it looks like the car is on fire and people start freaking out lol

Yea I've had bad experiences with them but at the moment I just need to get the 97 back on the road...

I purchased it with a hydrolocked engine January 2009 and I dropped in Kzoosho's old 99's engine and replaced everything while it was out except those two damn gaskets cuz I ran out of funds and thats the ONLY thing hold me down from having this car driveable. If these can keep the car on the road for a year I'll be happy.

Believe it or not, the Fel Pro's I picked up are of similar to OEM material. I believe it's similar material to OEM, I believe its called graphite but I could be wrong.. oh well, they're going on lol
lol.

Well, do the felpro one have a little thickness to them? Or are they really thin hard metal like OEM? Last I remember looking at a felbro exhaust manifold gasket for a maxima it looked nothing like OEM. It had a metalic shimmer to it but it was noticably softer than OEM and looked like it would burn up in no time. (which it did for a friend of mine)
Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
lol.

Well, do the felpro one have a little thickness to them? Or are they really thin hard metal like OEM? Last I remember looking at a felbro exhaust manifold gasket for a maxima it looked nothing like OEM. It had a metalic shimmer to it but it was noticably softer than OEM and looked like it would burn up in no time. (which it did for a friend of mine)
They look and feel like an OEM EGR gasket... its that shiny material that looks metallic but has a bit of softness. Its probably as thick as two credit cards put together... at least from what I can remember without looking at the gasket. OEM was gonna run me $70+ for both so I wasn't able to get that but if the car behaves I'll pick up the OEM once I'm working
Old 05-01-2010, 08:16 AM

i would also like to know where you got the headers gasket. I too have a nasty exhaust leak for the engine block to the headers and i have been having a very hard time finding the exact gasket. I purchased the ebay brand header and y-pipe combination. Here is the link for the item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1387&viewitem=
Can i use OEM gaskets with these headers?