4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

spec v 6speed swap is it worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 PM

spec v 6speed swap is it worth it??

Okay, i need a new clutch and a possible tranni rebuilt. Tranni guy believes my input shaft bearing is going but its been fine so far just a lot more noticable now.

Its either...

Do a rebuld of my current tranni. Kevin goods is the only one i know that still does it but his price is up there and hes very hard to contact sometimes to make an appt. However it is time consuming and probably not cost effective so i prob wont do it.

Go to the junk yard and...

A. Get used 5 speed trans and new clutch.

B. Find a low miles tranni that has a decent clutch in it. And throw it in there.

C. Just do the clutch (5thgen obv) and see if it really is an input shaft bearing and not mistaking for the t/o bearing. And stick it out.

D. Get 6speed parts new and find a used spec-v trans and convert.

My question is... is it worth it? Who has experience with it, is it cost effective? And performence wise how much better do you think it will be? There is a great writeup about it on vqpower.com but any additonal info would be supurb.

I do like the idea of going 6speed and i wouldn't mind being quicker on the highway for downshifts. However Gear ratio wise.. How are they compared? Im sure they are better and more reibile then our tranni's but i wanna make sure its worth it and not to PITA of a job or to find parts.

Thanks i will keep you guys posted when i find more info.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM

Oh and also. Lmk guys if the maxima 6speed would be a better option or not. I am sure they are probably the same transmissions but with the maxima tranni possible being capable of holding more tq and hp?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:35 PM

GL if you do decide to do the 6spd swap...it is NOT an interchangable part/swap by any means....

Search man. IMHO, if you want an upgrade, get a VLSD from an AE or an I30.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 PM

A 6sp swap is not really that hard. if you are trying to keep it simple then yes use a maxima 6sp. other wise you are splitting the transmission to swap clutch housings.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 PM

same goes for the maxima transmission? I was just thinking specv because those trannis will be cheaper and they said you can use them
Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Vlads suck in snow on curvy hills or roads
Old 04-27-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by S1cTech
Vlads suck in snow on curvy hills or roads
To each their own about driving in the snow...I've heard people who prefer open diff's in the snow and others who prefer limited slip.

BUT, on curvy roads? That is where the VLSD will outperform an open diff any day, as it transfers the power to the wheel that has begins to slip (or has less weight distributed to) due to body roll.

Know when you pull around a corner and you immediately loose traction? Try it in a FWD car with LSD and it will distribute the power to the slipping wheel and virtually eliminate the loss of traction.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
To each their own about driving in the snow...I've heard people who prefer open diff's in the snow and others who prefer limited slip.

BUT, on curvy roads? That is where the VLSD will outperform an open diff any day, as it transfers the power to the wheel that has begins to slip (or has less weight distributed to) due to body roll.

Know when you pull around a corner and you immediately loose traction? Try it in a FWD car with LSD and it will distribute the power to the slipping wheel and virtually eliminate the loss of traction.
front end sliding and loss od steering are some good valid points when it comes to VLSD
Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 AM

same goes for the maxima transmission? I was just thinking specv because those trannis will be cheaper and they said you can use them
No, why would a maxima 6sp not fit a maxima motor
Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 AM

spec v trans might cost less up front, but you will spend more money trying to make it fit/work
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 PM

front end sliding and loss od steering are some good valid points when it comes to VLSD
Seriously? Then why would they put it into production vehicles if it altered the performance? Only time the front end slides is when you make a 1-2 shift while making a 90* or < turn and the tires are able to break loose, and you only slide about 1ft, if that... Your tires don't break loose with your open-diff, so why would they break loose with the limited slip?

Originally Posted by kzoosho
No, why would a maxima 6sp not fit a maxima motor
You need to swap the bellhousing from your current transmission and mate it to the Spec-V in order to make the Spec-V transmission work.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by JAMAICANLOVRBOY
spec v trans might cost less up front, but you will spend more money trying to make it fit/work
Spec-V Transmission w/ 50k Miles $250 (part grade A-)
6spd Maxima Bellhousing $273.68
Shop Labor for swapping bellhousings $350+tax (I'm goin to do it myself, but just for those ****s n giggles I asked for a quote from a shop)
Another org member just finished his spec-v tranny swap for under $600 (That's transmission alone, brought a working spec-v transmission and a non working maxima 6spd).

Vs.

30k Maxima Tranny for sale $1200 (part grade A-) But I think there's one on the .org for $900

Spending more money trying to make it fit eh????

I didn't include a total cost list because I wasn't going to include parts needed for both trannies.....

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS

You need to swap the bellhousing from your current transmission and mate it to the Spec-V in order to make the Spec-V transmission work.
5spd Bellhousing fits on a 6spd?? If so I can save allot of money and jamaicanloverboy is just insane for thinking a Spec-V being more expensive...

Last edited by aackshun; 04-28-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 PM

SPEC V??? please educate us less informed. I think u guys talkin bout the 03 Altima V6 but not sure.

S1Tech, PM already sent.

I jus called nissan in MASS. new....New...NEW tranny run u 2400 bucks. Reman bout 1900. NEgotiate the price and maybe get new for 2200, reman 1500. 12 month warranty. either case.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Rather than letting someone try to rebuild it for prolly the same price as a nissan remann, i prolly jus get the remann. THats basically new to me man. Or find a used one.

Nissan also sd they dont kno nothin about shim the axle differential bearings either. Still if u can u can prolly finacne the tranny lol. 100 bucks a month. jus work somethin out, car companies are like that.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
5spd Bellhousing fits on a 6spd?? If so I can save allot of money and jamaicanloverboy is just insane for thinking a Spec-V being more expensive...
Whoops, that one slipped. I had been reading spark03max and your discussion in the 5th gen forum and totally forgot that he needs a different bellhousing (different from his 5spd). My bad.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:51 PM

For Cashoit's and other people's sake....

Spec-V Transmission and the Maxima's 6 speed transmission are the same (internally, there are minor diffs, but not getting into that now), but since they mount to different engines (A 4cyl and a 6cyl), the bellhousing (The part that mates to the motor), is different.

To use a spec-v tranny on a maxima, you must take the 6spd bellhousing from a maxima and swap it onto the transmission case of your said spec-v tranny, then viola you pretty much have a 6spd maxima transmission.

(For the love of god, I hope some other expert doesn't chime in and list the differences in trannies to confuse the n00bs out there).
Old 04-28-2010, 03:07 PM

For Cashoit's and other people's sake....

Spec-V Transmission and the Maxima's 6 speed transmission are the same (internally, there are minor diffs, but not getting into that now), but since they mount to different engines (A 4cyl and a 6cyl), the bellhousing (The part that mates to the motor), is different.

To use a spec-v tranny on a maxima, you must take the 6spd bellhousing from a maxima and swap it onto the transmission case of your said spec-v tranny, then viola you pretty much have a 6spd maxima transmission.

(For the love of god, I hope some other expert doesn't chime in and list the differences in trannies to confuse the n00bs out there).
What clutch would have to be used with this setup?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Grumpy old guy

The final drive is different and much shorter in the Spec V (4.43:1) than in the Maxima (3.812:1)
Old 04-28-2010, 05:57 PM

You CANNOT use a 5sp bell housing on a 6sp, they do not fit. You can find Maxima Tranny's for less than 1200 hell i got mine for 450. I found the HLSD ones for 800 so not sure where you got that price from. I have both and have done it both ways. I will not do the spec v swap again. I will buy Maxima 6sp for my car.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
What clutch would have to be used with this setup?
You must match whatever flywheel you use, if you use the 5spd flywheel then you use the 5spd clutch... so on and so on...
[Some one else verify this]

Originally Posted by kzoosho
You CANNOT use a 5sp bell housing on a 6sp, they do not fit. You can find Maxima Tranny's for less than 1200 hell i got mine for 450. I found the HLSD ones for 800 so not sure where you got that price from. I have both and have done it both ways. I will not do the spec v swap again. I will buy Maxima 6sp for my car.
$800 > $600.

Now why in the world would you do a tranny swap and NOT get LSD is beyond me, everyone has different taste...

Last edited by aackshun; 04-28-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 PM

You must match whatever flywheel you use, if you use the 5spd flywheel then you use the 5spd clutch... so on and so on...
[Some one else verify this]

$800 > $600.

Now why in the world would you do a tranny swap and NOT get LSD is beyond me, everyone has different taste...
I dont need lsd.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 PM

I dont care for LSD either. I just wanna go the best cheapest route and want the least problems and now I am hearing the specv being short final drive ratio will give me so much better acceleration and that is pretty important but I guess I will be using more gas on highway tho I bet. I could however save gas on the city driving tho.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:15 PM

see LSD is my big thing here, which is why I was going 6speed (Easier/Cheaper/Other reasons).

If you don't care for LSD then an open diff max transmission will be your best bet! Or a rebuilt 5speed.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 PM

Maxima LSDs are heavy. I agree the car would be much better to drive with LSD, but unless you're running boost, it won't be any quicker. Also, open diff's still pretty easy to drive in the snow. I would probably try to get one with LSD, but I can see why someone wouldn't pay extra for it.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by VQ30MPG
Maxima LSDs are heavy. I agree the car would be much better to drive with LSD, but unless you're running boost, it won't be any quicker. Also, open diff's still pretty easy to drive in the snow. I would probably try to get one with LSD, but I can see why someone wouldn't pay extra for it.
We're getting off topic now, but I've come to the conclusion that I will personally be a much happier person w/ LSD, like a said, open/locking diff is a personal preference which doesn't have much or if anything at all to do w/ the OP, the OP said he doesn't care for LSD, so a good viable option for him is to get a open diff 6speed.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Grumpy old guy

I dont care for LSD either. I just wanna go the best cheapest route and want the least problems and now I am hearing the specv being short final drive ratio will give me so much better acceleration and that is pretty important but I guess I will be using more gas on highway tho I bet. I could however save gas on the city driving tho.

The final drive will really only affect your highway mileage, not many rolling runs in 6th gear to worry about performance.

This would be why the Maxima transmission is better for a highway cruiser.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:56 AM

I been researching and researching all night and it really seems like the SpecV tranni idea is not only a lot more work but in the long run will take slightly more gas mileage however much easier to find in LSD because all specV trans use it for the sentra. Not to mention buying this trans. That I found in my area for $370. Which is a hell of a deal right? Sure is is awesome... but I also have to get the maxima Bell housing and well. Who would part that off their trans? Even junkyards won't part those.

That is like parting ur pistons before you sell an engine. No one will do it for a good price. And that price will be in the $300-400s (also car-part.com has no 6 speed versions anyway nad the cases you will find will be off smashed or badly broken Tranni's So how would I know if the bellhousing is in good cnd or had some stress from what ever happen to its other half? Now besides the fact that they will also be $300-400 used. That plus the spec V tranni is also reaching the cost of an VLSD open Diff for a 5speed 4th gen tranni And a open diff 6 speed tranni in my area if you include that bellhousing.

For some reason I can only find Open diffs on car-part.com for 6speed 2002 and up Gen 5s.

now for the 5th gen maxima version... Seems like it would be slightly better even tho there is a chance that I won't get a 6speed LSD version but I will still get 6 speed is where it lies. I didn't look up all the prices on this yet So I will add more on this later, but the fact that you need a new flywheel(instead of a resuf), New starter +$100-$130, new ring gear and both axles AND Trans mount for Which I need to drill which I need to rent. It is still a lot. (same goes for the spec V from what I looked up in terms of parts) but what I am saying is price is NOT that far off for the extra headache (that people are saying) to do a spec V swap.

but just because the price is getting up there is still seems like the 5th gen 6 speed will be a better solution but I am worrying about a lot of factors and that includes needed more parts. And things that may, may not fit. And of course running out of time cause I can only get like 2-3 days if I am lucky to do this. And I have limited lift access. I will most likely have to rent a shop lift bay. (hehe yes I am lucky but its $20-30 an hour)

Now Open diff 4th gen 5 speeds. Will cost me about $600-700 range+ the clutch $160+ anything else. Prob gonna be like $950. And the miles I am getting are in the low to mid 100Ks. Only pros. Dont gotta need any new axles and Just need a flywheel resurface.

Now a Locking diff 5 speed. That is gonna run me about $850 and I still gotta get the clutch @ $160 and at least the driver said axle @ $70. And new Axle seals. irrc +a flywheel resurface... and these miles also run high on these tranni's.

Anything else? Other then obv I know I need GL4. lol.

Last edited by S1cTech; 04-29-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:55 AM

S1,

You already know what the cheapest / easiest option gonna be. Jus get the 4th gen open diff tranny. Find the lowest mileage / best warranty and jus do it.

If u gonna do the work yurself and keep the old tranny, I wd try to rebuild it myself. might come in handy down the road.

its get dicey if u cant FIND a tranny. Then u gotta get creative / spend more money.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 PM

I am looking for some closed Diffs right now. I am just gonna see. It would be nice to help some Wheel hop and TQ steer. I know I said I don't care about it, but that was only cause I thought they were soooo hard to find when I found like 12 in my area. All around $850 tho and kinda 100-150k miles. Thats the bad part. I just worrie about getting a bad one...

Also. That is one of the main things, I dont know how to do. And that is rebuilt Tranni's. Never was taught that in school only briefed on it and how to rebuilt Autos.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM

I have seen a rebullid. Its basically remove, replace, re-install. JUs have to buy the rebuild kit and REMEMBER which way the seals are supposed to be re-installed.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM
SLOW

don't do it.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:04 PM

S1, i'm the guy that aackshun is talking about that just finished the swap.

if you want a 6spd, do it. if you just want manual, 5spd is good too. i went from auto to MT so the cost was gonna be roughly the same for me either way, so 6spd it was.

the vq30's seem to have a sweet spot in the 2700-3000 RPM range. in this instance, a spec v's 4.133 final drive will be better than the maxima's 3.812. the reason i say that is i was going around 80 at 2700-2800 (not positive, my speedo is off BIG time) and that's where i was getting the best MPGs 35ish. that's already pushing it for me speedwise, no real reason for me to go faster. dunno if the MPGS get any better higher up.

and also, first time disassembling the RS6F51H/A trans took me a full day because i didn't know what i was doing (thank God for the FSM!) and didn't have all the tools. however, i put it back together in like 30 minutes. so it's a lot easier than some would have you believe but it is in fact no piece of cake starting out.