4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

problem installing headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:32 PM

problem installing headlights

ok so I recently purchased this product for my 1996 maxima gle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...Q5fAccessories

After taking off my old housing and installing the new headlights, I ran into some problems with the HID's. First off, the new headlights came with bulbs in them, one for high beam and one for low beam (no bulb for parking light). The directions were to take the bulbs out and install the HID's. What I realized was that the bulbs that came with the housing were both connected to each other (high and low beam bulbs)

What I dont understand is that when I tried to hook up the HID's the connector on the hid kit didnt even match up with my connector from my car. Also, Even if the HID's did fit, then I would still have one socket still unused since there our three sockets (parking, high and low beam)

The HID kit is a 9006, does that even fit the 96 maxima??
Also, if I was to take off the bulb socket on my car and replace it with one that was the same as the HID connector by soldering (spelling) the wires, would that work?

I am a noob on this issue but did a lot of research on the site before I went to install them. Unfortunately, I ran into this problem. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

**Also, If I did find a way to connect hid's to my car connector, what would I use as my high beam bc there is no other connector on the car.

Last edited by bkortee; 04-29-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:56 PM

yes the 9006 HID kit is right for the headlight because they decided to make the outer lights (low beam) 9006 and the inner lights (high beams) 9005. so your rite bout tht. check out some other threads and teach yourself on what set up you should do. there is a lot of homework involved in this...or if your lucky sum1 will post a thread with a solution.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaRyder
yes the 9006 HID kit is right for the headlight because they decided to make the outer lights (low beam) 9006 and the inner lights (high beams) 9005. so your rite bout tht. check out some other threads and teach yourself on what set up you should do. there is a lot of homework involved in this...or if your lucky sum1 will post a thread with a solution.

Yeah thanks man. The big problem I see is that:

1. The connector on the hid kit does not fit that of the one on my car.

2. If I found a way to get the hid kit to match the one of my car, then how would I wire my high beam light since the only two connectors on my car (parking lamp and connector for hid) are being used.

Anyone that can answer those two questions can help solve my answer.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:31 PM

The kit you bought are probably a 9004 HID connection so thats why its not matching up.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo
The kit you bought are probably a 9004 HID connection so thats why its not matching up.

Can you elaborate because I know my car is set up for standard 9004's. The kit I bought is a 9006 connection. Basically, how do I match the two up because I mean I bought everything together and it said that these hid's were compatible with my car.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Grumpy old guy

Understand that HID's in those housings without a projector is going to blind oncoming traffic.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nozama
Understand that HID's in those housings without a projector is going to blind oncoming traffic.

Thanks, I understand that. I will be doing a retrofit whenever I get time. For the time being I just wish somebody could answer my questions or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

***I found this at autzone:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=369991

Is that what I need??

Last edited by bkortee; 04-29-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 PM

That looks about right. You know how to solder? You can snip off the old harness and solder that on to convert to 9006.

You will only be plugging in the hid kit to one of the headlight harness connectors.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 PM

as for the highbeam, I dont know.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Grumpy old guy

On my r34's the stock 9004 connector plugs into the headlight harness which then splits into a 9005 and a 9006 connector. Wouldn't you use one of those connectors for the HID and the other for the "stock" high beam?

If you weren't provided with the harness for the headlight then there's your problem.

If the low beam connector is not a direct plug and play then you'd have to solder the HID into that connector, you may want to leave the connector at the end of the harness and tap in to the wires before the connector so you can go back to a regular bulb if needed.

Last edited by Nozama; 04-29-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM

On my r34's the stock 9004 connector plugs into the headlight harness which then splits into a 9005 and a 9006 connector. Wouldn't you use one of those connectors for the HID and the other for the "stock" high beam?

If you weren't provided with the harness for the headlight then there's your problem.

If the low beam connector is not a direct plug and play then you'd have to solder the HID into that connector, you may want to leave the connector at the end of the harness and tap in to the wires before the connector so you can go back to a regular bulb if needed.
Thanks I think you solved my problem. So basically what I should do is:

Cut wires on 9004 car connector and souder (spelling?) new 9006 connector.

The only problem remaining is what wire do I use for my high beam???

Answer this and I am good to go!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Grumpy old guy

So here's the idea.

When you got the headlights they had a 9004 male bulb connector that plugged into your stock headlight harness female bulb connector.

The harness portion on the headlight takes the three wires from the connector and splits out a hot wire and a ground to each of the new bulbs a 9005 and a 9006.

You remove the low beam headlight, insert the HID, tap the positive and negative from the bulb connector. As I said if it was me I'd connect into the wires with a scotch lock and leave the stock connector so you could always go back to the standard headlight bulb.

To do it completely correctly grab a pair of these.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/Xenon-HID-Wi...ector-70886131

They did provide you with the 9004 D connector that splits into a 9005 9006 harness right? That's standard with the headlights since they no longer use a 9004. If not then you need to start making one or buy one.

Last edited by Nozama; 04-30-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added additional info
Old 05-01-2010, 01:06 PM

So here's the idea.

When you got the headlights they had a 9004 male bulb connector that plugged into your stock headlight harness female bulb connector.

The harness portion on the headlight takes the three wires from the connector and splits out a hot wire and a ground to each of the new bulbs a 9005 and a 9006.

You remove the low beam headlight, insert the HID, tap the positive and negative from the bulb connector. As I said if it was me I'd connect into the wires with a scotch lock and leave the stock connector so you could always go back to the standard headlight bulb.

To do it completely correctly grab a pair of these.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/Xenon-HID-Wi...ector-70886131

They did provide you with the 9004 D connector that splits into a 9005 9006 harness right? That's standard with the headlights since they no longer use a 9004. If not then you need to start making one or buy one.
Thanks you solved the issue, they are working now.

One more question:

I have two led's for the bumper turn signals (1156). As you know, you need two resistors to make the lights blink at a normal pace. Can you either explain or link me somewhere that will tell me how to install resistors on these lights? Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Grumpy old guy

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
Old 05-01-2010, 01:56 PM

Hey I have the resistors, I got them off of vleds:

http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning...-p4481145.html

I just need to know how to install them. Also, you only need two resistors right?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Grumpy old guy

Connection Instructions
Using included splice taps, connect one wire to ground and the other wire to the positive wire. You do not have to cut your car's wiring. Squeeze splice taps with pliers. One Load Resistor required for each bulb. No instructions are included with these kits.

Those specifically state they are not for blinker bulbs but there's also diagrams that show you exactly how to install them for low filament applications.

Bulb Out Warning Fix
These 25 Ohm, 25 Watt resistors can be connected across the low element wires to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. This will solve LED related burnt out bulb warnings. One resistor is required for each bulb. Includes gel filled moisture resistant splice taps. These are not to be used on high element wires or blinker bulbs. Use our 6 or 3 Ohm resistors for those applications.

Last edited by Nozama; 05-01-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Connection Instructions
Using included splice taps, connect one wire to ground and the other wire to the positive wire. You do not have to cut your car's wiring. Squeeze splice taps with pliers. One Load Resistor required for each bulb. No instructions are included with these kits.

Those specifically state they are not for blinker bulbs but there's also diagrams that show you exactly how to install them for low filament applications.

Bulb Out Warning Fix
These 25 Ohm, 25 Watt resistors can be connected across the low element wires to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. This will solve LED related burnt out bulb warnings. One resistor is required for each bulb. Includes gel filled moisture resistant splice taps. These are not to be used on high element wires or blinker bulbs. Use our 6 or 3 Ohm resistors for those applications.
Ok. Thanks for all the help.