4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing chain tensioner help....I did search, but no luck..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 01:48 PM

Timing chain tensioner help....I did search, but no luck..

Hi everyone,
The water pump on my 1996 Maxima is bad, and it needs to be replaced. I figured that while that job was being done, I would replace the timing chain tensioner. So off to the dealer I went to get the parts.........
Based upon my search here the part is a "new" design tensioner, different than what is on my car? The part that the dealer sold me is: 13091-31U26. In that box is a new chain guide and a new tensioner, again I guess that is different than what is on my car? I guess the tensioner that they sold me will not work in my car? Will the tensioner work if the chain guide is replaced? Is only one chain guide different than the rest, hence why you only get one new guide in the box? So the new tensioner and one new guide will work with the rest of the 1996 parts? IS the new design much better than the old design? How much more work is it to replace the guide? I know that the timing cover must come off, but does that add many hours in labor?
Prior to the water pump issue the only time that I ever heard any type of chain rattle was when the car was not started for a few days or more. The most recent time that I had the issue, the car sat for an entire week without being started. I rattled for a while as the engine was at idle, however after I drove a bit the noise went away. If you drive the car every day you don't hear a rattle. Based upon my above description, would it be ok to simply reuse my old tensioner and guide and return the "updated" part to the dealer?
And as a side note my car has a timing cover oil leak ( I think I read that oil leak is common on my car?). If the one new guide was replaced, would it then be easy to fix the timing cover oil leak?
What is the best thing to do in my situation?

Thanks,
Zack
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM

Anyone?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 96 infiniti g20 and i have the same issue
Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 PM

well idk about the new and old tensioners, but what you can do is soak your old one in gasoline, or buy another one. same one. i think it rattles when u didnt drive it in a while, because all the oil drained off the chain. but im not sure.

and to take a timing cover off, that is a lot of work. plan to add at least 5 hours to the job.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by whiteSE
well idk about the new and old tensioners, but what you can do is soak your old one in gasoline, or buy another one. same one. i think it rattles when u didnt drive it in a while, because all the oil drained off the chain. but im not sure.

and to take a timing cover off, that is a lot of work. plan to add at least 5 hours to the job.
Well that is the problem, it seems that you can't purchase a new "old" style tensioner.

Zack
Old 05-07-2010, 04:34 AM

I checked on rockauto.com and they have a tensioner (BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0241181) but is that an "old" style or a "new" style?

This is such a huge pain in the ***!!

Zack
Old 05-22-2010, 05:17 PM

I just did an engine swap in my 95, the tensioner on Rock Auto will work, it's identical to the one that was on my 3.0
Old 05-23-2010, 02:23 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by caseymaxima
I checked on rockauto.com and they have a tensioner (BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0241181) but is that an "old" style or a "new" style?

This is such a huge pain in the ***!!

Zack
It's probably the new style since some people had trouble with the older ones. The older ones were hydraulic irc. On my 97 it is spring loaded.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 maxima.. w/manual trans

hello everyone... I have a 2004 maxima with 142000 miles on her. About 2 weeks ago... a rattling starting in the motor. My brother in law said it was the timing chain. The local dealership quoted 1800.00 to repair without looking at it. A local mechanic quoted 850.00 to do the chain and water pump. Another mechanic said it was probably the tensioner and he could confirm by hooking the car up to something diagnostic machine???. He said to tighten the tensioner, he would do it for 150.00.. but recommended replacing it and the water pump for 500.00 plus parts..... Does this seem to be a fair price...
Old 06-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by caseymaxima
Well that is the problem, it seems that you can't purchase a new "old" style tensioner.

Zack
You need to search. This stuff has been covered already.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by wldraven1965
hello everyone... I have a 2004 maxima with 142000 miles on her. About 2 weeks ago... a rattling starting in the motor. My brother in law said it was the timing chain. The local dealership quoted 1800.00 to repair without looking at it. A local mechanic quoted 850.00 to do the chain and water pump. Another mechanic said it was probably the tensioner and he could confirm by hooking the car up to something diagnostic machine???. He said to tighten the tensioner, he would do it for 150.00.. but recommended replacing it and the water pump for 500.00 plus parts..... Does this seem to be a fair price...

well if it is just the tensioner and the water pump, both of those can be done with very little effort so imho diy is the way to go, but if your not mechanicaly inclined and dont have the exact same tensioner style to use then you would be looking at a lot more labor. (sime i am doing this exact same operation right now) both the water pump and the tensioner have view ports to make them easily accesable, but if you have to replace the guids too then the entire cover has to come off. As far as price, it really depends of where you live and what shops in your are charge, but here in reno i have a shop that will charge a flat hourly rate of 70/hr so it the job would take ~ 5 hours as mentioned above, then $350 would be a fair price for me.

As far as "tightening" the tensioner, as i sit here and look at my motor, i see no way that this is even possable. :-\ so i would not even bother with that operation.

good luck with the rest of it though