4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aftermarket antenna

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 PM

Aftermarket antenna

Does anyone have one of these hidden antenna in their Maxima? I'm looking to install these, is it an easy job? or should I got with an exterior antenna?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 PM

wiring it is pretty easy i have a short stubby one but i never heard of a hidden antenna.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Can I see your short stubby one (no homo). My antenna decided to get stuck up and won't go down now. Honestly prefer something like a Z one. A pic would be great.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 PM

It actually looks better in person and it is one of the flexible ones so i might switch it to maybe a plastic stiff one but the reception is the same if not better i think with AM and FM.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by xorox

It actually looks better in person and it is one of the flexible ones so i might switch it to maybe a plastic stiff one but the reception is the same if not better i think with AM and FM.
Thanks for the pic. Your car is sharp a shyt btw. Very nice! And I like the antenna. Who's the manufacturer or where did you find the little bugger? Oh and do you have a side shot? Like to take a another ganger at those rims. Those things are bangin' too.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
LMMFFAO. This made my day.

I always wanted some kind of aerodynamic antenna. How well do they perform in comparison with each other (stock, stubby, shark fin, etc <if I'm leaving any out>) ?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
I always wanted some kind of aerodynamic antenna. How well do they perform in comparison with each other (stock, stubby, shark fin, etc <if I'm leaving any out>) ?
With antennas, bigger is usually better. However, as long as the stubby ones are tuned to the right frequencies and pick up the range of frequencies that cover the FM spectrum, you probably wont notice any decrease in signal strength unless you are on the fringe of the broadcasting range for the station.

I don't see that hidden antenna working very well if placed inside the truck or front fender. Every piece of body work on the car is grounded. If you put the antenna behind a ground plane, the ground plane will block a portion of the signal. The best place for the hidden antenna would be on the inside of the windshield, behind the rear view mirror.

If you have a Bose system, you have an antenna built into your rear window. It'll look like the defroster wiring, but is at the top of the window, and will not run straight across the glass.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Bump....

Alright...forget the rims..I just wanna see a close up of the antenna and possibly get the info on the antenna and where I can get one.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:26 AM

^ Ditto. I find the sound of the motor to be very annoying, and I wish I could just have one that didn't move up/down every time I start the car.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Spyder23
^ Ditto. I find the sound of the motor to be very annoying, and I wish I could just have one that didn't move up/down every time I start the car.
Just unplug it then... Or if you live out in the country and need it, find a nice medium length, have a friend uplug it @ that length...

Ipod FTW, my antennae rarely leaves the trunk.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 AM

where did you get that antenna xorox?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 AM

I will post a guide with lots of pics very soon for all those that are interested. Sorry just been busy with work.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
If you have a Bose system, you have an antenna built into your rear window. It'll look like the defroster wiring, but is at the top of the window, and will not run straight across the glass.
Hmm, tell me more. I have a Bose unit and it's got the telescoping antenna in the fender. Is there some way I can get the integrated one? I don't like motorized antennae.

In my old car, the only function on the stereo that still worked was the tape deck, so if I wanted the radio I'd have open the radio program on the phone and plug it into the tape deck adapter.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by j-dawg
Hmm, tell me more. I have a Bose unit and it's got the telescoping antenna in the fender. Is there some way I can get the integrated one? I don't like motorized antennae.

In my old car, the only function on the stereo that still worked was the tape deck, so if I wanted the radio I'd have open the radio program on the phone and plug it into the tape deck adapter.
Bose systems come with both antennae and automatically detect which one is getting the better signal. If you unplug your retractable antenna, you will probably still get the same reception 99% of the time.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by VQ30MPG
Bose systems come with both antennae and automatically detect which one is getting the better signal. If you unplug your retractable antenna, you will probably still get the same reception 99% of the time.
Yeah, it only slightly lower. I couldn't receive some stations in from another county. It would also cut out in some known weak areas. AM is what really suffers but who really use Amplitude Modulation anyway?