4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I feel dumb

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I feel dumb

So years ago I bought my maxima from a user on this site and all was well except then I started having problems.. when I went to meet him to look at the car (was in mint condition as far as I could tell) except that the radiator was going so he reduced the price for that and I bought it for 4.5k cash.

Then a few weeks go by and when I switch to reverse and give it gas it stalls.. but it was so intermittent that it never did it when my mechanic had it so it took a few months before it finally happened while he had it and he fixed it. Turned out to be a wiring issue in the engine bay.

That was years ago though but tonight I was trying to see if the water pump on my car was replaced or not so I searched his posts and look what I find..

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...rans-help.html

I got scammed lol.

Not a big deal since I was able to get it fixed but kinda rude to just pass off problems like that but what can you do.

I also find it annoying that I found this one.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...gine-lite.html

I'm still having egr code pop up every few months wtf!

Also I DID search his posts when I went to buy it but I guess I missed that big thread???

Oh well I mean technically it was free since it was just the insurance money from my old max that my mom had given me when I got my license. And the new one was fully loaded with every available option from 96 so it was still an upgrade at least.

Last edited by '96 B-rad; 06-12-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:12 AM

When it comes to buying cars, trust no one and do all the investigating that you can. It is extremely difficult to find %100 honest sellers. All of the used cars that I've purchased had something hidden thus why I assume that all sellers are hiding something and I go from there.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:36 AM

Have you ever considered the fact that that those issues developed AFTER you bought the car? 4th gen maximas are not young cars by any standard, problems will develop no matter what condition the car is in.

As far the person who sold you the car, it just might be they did not have any problems what so ever prior to selling the car.

Case in point, you buy a car and three days later the radiator hose breaks. Who do you blame? The person who sold it to you? Yourself? Or old rubber that became brittle with age? I would say #3.... So before you go accusing others of scamming you - think.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:08 AM

I feel that its best to have the car inspected by a mechanic before buying it. That way you arent liable to the things that are currently wrong with the car.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by silencecalls
Have you ever considered the fact that that those issues developed AFTER you bought the car?
I'm not sure if you read the post but he links to a post where the seller had the exact problem that he had. Stalling when you put the car in reverse isn't that common.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Case in point, you buy a car and three days later the radiator hose breaks. Who do you blame? The person who sold it to you? Yourself? Or old rubber that became brittle with age? I would say #3.... So before you go accusing others of scamming you - think.
I think this is a bad example cuz TECHNICALLY, you're supposed to inspect those every so often and replace them as maintenance every 60k miles or so. I don't have the exact intervals but the FSM does state this. sorry to sound like a smart *** but thats the way I'd look at it.

If the old owner didn't replace the hose at the adequate interval then wonder what else he was supposed replace that he didnt
Old 06-12-2010, 07:49 PM

Have you ever considered the fact that that those issues developed AFTER you bought the car? 4th gen maximas are not young cars by any standard, problems will develop no matter what condition the car is in.

As far the person who sold you the car, it just might be they did not have any problems what so ever prior to selling the car.

Did you even read my post and click the links?? I'm guessing no.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:15 PM

i hate when people are not honest about the car they are selling.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 98nismomax
Haha honesty gives them less money... i mean if someone would pay full price for a car knowing the seller was 100% honest with them then I think people wouldn't lie!

Like a few years back I bought a set of rims which I inspected and everything for $350 and since he said he "didn't" have a jack he couldn't take off the wheels. So I bought them after just looking at the face of the wheels and when I got home found out I forgot to ask him for the aftermarket lugs and so i called the guy and he said he sold them to someone else...

long story short the tires ended up being bad and had cracks in them that the seller forgot to tell me about and so tires were going to be another $400 and since I didn't want to spend that much on a set of used rims that didn't look that good in the first place. I sold them again for $300 but I decided to be the hero in this story and told the new buyers EVERYTHING and ended up selling them for only $100. So a $250 dollar loss for me, but I felt good in the end although my wallet wasn't feeling too good.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Haha honesty gives them less money... i mean if someone would pay full price for a car knowing the seller was 100% honest with them then I think people wouldn't lie!
Every vehicle I've sold, I've sold for my full asking price. And completely informed the buyers of all the pros and cons, and have had the peace of mind knowing I haven't purposely "scammed" somebody.

But.... I did trade one in. That I didn't tell the dealer **** still sleep just fine

Last edited by seanwn; 06-13-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Tell em the truth ... and post it for $200 more then you want
Old 06-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by seanwn
Every vehicle I've sold, I've sold for my full asking price. And completely informed the buyers of all the pros and cons, and have had the peace of mind knowing I haven't purposely "scammed" somebody.

But.... I did trade one in. That I didn't tell the dealer **** still sleep just fine
dude your siggy is soooo true

"Originally Posted by Domiken
Boost is like a hot chick with a nice rack, face and *** (high maintenance, wine drinker)
VVL is like a chick with a pretty face and a nice rack, but no ***.... or no **** and an *** (drinks beer)
Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD, you want to hit it, but youre afraid of the consequences"
Old 06-13-2010, 11:54 PM

Haha yeah that signature is Nobel prize worthy. Its so beautiful!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:17 AM

i did not realise those were links.

I retract my statement. =\
Old 06-14-2010, 05:21 AM

...try reading his 1st link before you acuse him...LoL

Old 06-14-2010, 05:25 AM

..me too, but the honest ones,,,totally honest are 1 in a 1000....and dealers none....so bring your mechanic & bring a good one.
Originally Posted by 98nismomax
Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 AM

excellent advice..and get the car out on the road for good test ride, stop & go traffic and the highway,I drive the car for @ least 20 -30 minutes, afterwards reinspect...look underneath for leaks/wet...smell for burning fluids, etc......if seller bawks at that,say goodbye...I've caught a few problem cars that way...problems that you would not detect if I hadn't done this....one an intermittent bad trans another a bad /vibrating front axle shaft. you may not catch some things but you eliminate major problems.

Originally Posted by bkortee
I feel that its best to have the car inspected by a mechanic before buying it. That way you arent liable to the things that are currently wrong with the car.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
dude your siggy is soooo true
haha +1

OP,

Used cars are jus that...used! No matter what u buy it gonna have problems. As long as it not a very expensive repair then jus buy it. Not really sure u got scammed, cuz at least nothing MAJOR happened. But i see where u comin from about the previous owner posts, dude cd have been honest about that at least.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:40 AM

Sellers, buyers, you can't really expect anyone to be honest really. Just treat every1 as liars when it comes to big transactions. Inspect the car as best as you can, if a problem comes up after you've bought it then you've done all you can.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Yeah that's a smart thing to do. I did drive it for a little while though in both stop and go as well as open road. But then even after buying it I drove it everyday for like 2 weeks before it did it for the first time and then it didn't do it again for another couple weeks. But then it finally started getting bad so my mechanic was able to diagnose it when it did it to him. He said that if the car was on an angle it did it more often (or something like that) and that after he fixed the stalling issue he found other wires that went to the starter which were also starting to go. I never saw a post on the org about engine bay wiring issues so just glad I have a good mechanic. I wonder what was going through the guys head when I switched to reverse and gave it gas, probably "dont stall, dont stall, dont stall!"

And yes I realize when buying used cars there's always a good chance something will be wrong with it but I mean this was really avoidable which is the reason why I made the thread since I was able to expose the guy not just wonder if he knew about it.

Originally Posted by philly96maxima
excellent advice..and get the car out on the road for good test ride, stop & go traffic and the highway,I drive the car for @ least 20 -30 minutes, afterwards reinspect...look underneath for leaks/wet...smell for burning fluids, etc......if seller bawks at that,say goodbye...I've caught a few problem cars that way...problems that you would not detect if I hadn't done this....one an intermittent bad trans another a bad /vibrating front axle shaft. you may not catch some things but you eliminate major problems.

Last edited by '96 B-rad; 06-15-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 PM

Here is a great reason to not trust anyone. Always be extra cautious and research as much as possible.

Here is a quote from an @sshole from this site after he was told by many that his head gasket may need replacement. Click the blue box after his name to go to the descussion.

Originally Posted by scmaxima
is it for sure???
how can i fix it temporarily at least till i sell the car? or there isnt any way =/
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 AM

I got scammed also, thought it was a good car and the tranny needs to be replaced
Old 06-28-2010, 08:33 AM

Wait, he bought it from a user on this site. If I sold a car on this site, I would just assume that someone would search through my threads on here to see whats wrong with it. As far as I'm concerned, this site serves as his dosclosure (unless he found out about a major problem, didnt post about it, but sold the car because of it)

Also, you said you have had the car for a few years. If you got more than one year's use out of the car, I would consider that to be a pretty good deal. If it has held up for that long, then the issue was not present when you got the car.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:00 AM

Then a few weeks go by and when I switch to reverse and give it gas it stalls.. but it was so intermittent that it never did it when my mechanic had it so it took a few months before it finally happened while he had it and he fixed it. Turned out to be a wiring issue in the engine bay.
The problem started a few weeks after buying the car, not a few weeks ago

And I find what you're saying to be ridiculous. Expect the buyer to read through all the seller's post to find out about the car?
Seller should have just told up front what problems there were

Besides, i'm sure the buyer asked if there were any problems other than the radiator before buying.
And you can bet the seller didn't say "I dunno, search the forum if you wanna know"