4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mobil 1 10w30

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 09:03 AM

Mobil 1 10w30

I just went over to Mobil 1 from dino oil.
I'm using 5w30.
Strauss auto stores in my area has a special on Mobil 1 10w30 only in 5 Qt containers for $13.99.
Any problem in using 10w30 Mobil 1?
How about using in the warmer months?
Old 12-12-2001, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shouldn't have any problems.

Read the "Oil and ATF Analysis Spreadsheet" thread up top for more information if you haven't already.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:10 AM

Re: Mobil 1 10w30

Originally posted by joe b
I just went over to Mobil 1 from dino oil.
I'm using 5w30.
Strauss auto stores in my area has a special on Mobil 1 10w30 only in 5 Qt containers for $13.99.
Any problem in using 10w30 Mobil 1?
How about using in the warmer months?
i use mobil 1 10w30 and my ride is much smoother now then it sued to be before with other oils.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:15 AM

Re: Re: Mobil 1 10w30

Originally posted by cooler2000

i use mobil 1 10w30 and my ride is much smoother now then it sued to be before with other oils.
I have also heard of people saying stating it seems a little easier at first too.

SuDZ
Old 12-12-2001, 03:10 PM

im using 5W-30 feels smooth too... plus its getting cold out
Old 12-12-2001, 03:48 PM

Ok guys thanks for the replies.
I made a mistake it's a 4 Qt container not a 5 Qt.
Still a good deal so I bought a couple.
I think and maybe some of you will agree that in cold weather Mobil 1 10w30 will flow just as fast as dino 5w30 on startup.

So from now on it will be 10w30 Mobil 1 year round.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey! that is a good price. Thanks for pointing that out.
That's what I'm using (Mobil1 10-30W) in NJ this winter.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by kmax
Hey! that is a good price. Thanks for pointing that out.
That's what I'm using (Mobil1 10-30W) in NJ this winter.

I'm from Jersey too.
Strauss stores sale will end saturday.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:21 PM

I've been using Mobil 1 10W30 ever since my car had about 50,000 miles on it. The car has 184,000+ miles on it now, and it's still going strong. I recommend it...
Old 12-12-2001, 08:00 PM
rabson

Mobil 1 is by far the best.

Old 12-13-2001, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by rabson
Mobil 1 is by far the best.
uh oh...
Old 12-13-2001, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by CFster

uh oh...
Yeah, I'm not even going there right now
Old 12-16-2001, 05:59 PM

Amsoil is far superior than Mobil 1, Mobil 1 (FTC ISSUES)is a good oil but Amsoil beats it hands down. 96SE 156,000 PLUS. Become a preferred member and buy at whole sale costs! Go to Amsoil.com Check out their 2000 series 0w-30 synthetic motor oil.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Steve Marsh
Amsoil is far superior than Mobil 1, Mobil 1 (FTC ISSUES)is a good oil but Amsoil beats it hands down. 96SE 156,000 PLUS. Become a preferred member and buy at whole sale costs! Go to Amsoil.com Check out their 2000 series 0w-30 synthetic motor oil.
You don't by any chance work for Amsoil do you?

(FTC ISSUES). Please elaborate.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:17 PM

How about those shown on TV, like "Slick 50", "Super Lube", etc. (I may rember names wrong) Quite a few. Seems everybody says they are the best...
Old 12-16-2001, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by jiaxima96
How about those shown on TV, like "Slick 50", "Super Lube", etc. (I may rember names wrong) Quite a few. Seems everybody says they are the best...
Save your money.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:23 PM

no i do not work for Amsoil, and the ftc= THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION. Mobil one use to be a higher quality oil, but they since the introduction of the tri-synthetic they have cut back on quality. Castrol Syntec is another company THAT MAKES FALSE CLAIMS/USES LOWER QUALITY PRODUCTS, BUT CHARGES THE CONSUMER HIGHER COSTS. More power to you if you use Mobile One, but Amsoil is superior.
Old 12-16-2001, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Steve Marsh
no i do not work for Amsoil, and the ftc= THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION. Mobil one use to be a higher quality oil, but they since the introduction of the tri-synthetic they have cut back on quality. Castrol Syntec is another company THAT MAKES FALSE CLAIMS/USES LOWER QUALITY PRODUCTS, BUT CHARGES THE CONSUMER HIGHER COSTS. More power to you if you use Mobile One, but Amsoil is superior.
Do you have any documentation or a web link? And while your at it (seeing as you appear to be an expert on Amsoil), maybe you know why only one line of Amsoil's motor oils are API certified? And that line of motor oils isn't the one they recommend for their extended drain intervals - why?
Old 12-16-2001, 06:36 PM

slick 50 is another company. Research their products, and check out the ftc also. TO EACH HIS OWN, BEST WISHES.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:05 PM

Hey guys here is one of many links pertaining to amsoil motor oil products, check out this link: www.xcelo.on.ca/~amsoil/
Old 12-17-2001, 03:22 AM

Link = dead
Old 12-17-2001, 03:50 AM

sorry about that. Please go to www.amsoil.com for the moment. I will find another link that accessible.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:49 AM

Wow, it's only been like 2 weeks since the last war. Are we really going to start this **** so soon again?

Comparing Amsoil to Slick 50 is an apples and oranges comparo, not even worth more discussion.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:44 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Do you have any documentation or a web link? And while your at it (seeing as you appear to be an expert on Amsoil), maybe you know why only one line of Amsoil's motor oils are API certified? And that line of motor oils isn't the one they recommend for their extended drain intervals - why?
Please stop this. You have already had your butt handed to you on this before. You don't read the oil analysis sticky, Jeff92se's links, BLAH BLAH BLAH and yet you are still hung up on this.

You are monitored for when you make assertions and try to spin things to make Amsoil look bad. Please save the bandwidth for relevant discussions instead of re-inventing the wheel.

And Jeff will be copied on this link.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

Oh boy kids! Here we go again!

1) Both Amsoil and Mobil 1 are excellent oils. Amsoil might show superior qualities in some areas but since these two oils perform so well, it's just preference.

2) If anyone is interested in extended drain intervals, then Amsoil is the only one of these two that can be used or is recommended for this type of service. Please see the Amsoil site for more information. Mobil 1 does not tout their oil for extended drain intervals.

3) Now as far as CFster talking about api certification, well that's pretty funny. Since the only "documents" he provided were just internet links to other discussions such as this. Here is the link to the discussion. Information with humor
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=amsoil

Old 12-17-2001, 11:27 AM

A MOBIL OIL Product link

Hey guys check out this link regarding a specific mobil product

www.avweb.com/articles/av1suit.html
Old 12-17-2001, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Oh boy kids! Here we go again!

2) If anyone is interested in extended drain intervals, then Amsoil is the only one of these two that can be used or is recommended for this type of service. Please see the Amsoil site for more information. Mobil 1 does not tout their oil for extended drain intervals.

Actually Mobil 1 in the early years did advertise going 12000-25000 miles or once year before it had to be changed.
But due to people voiding their warrantees by doing so Mobil stopped that advertising.
Did seem kind of ridiculous because a filter would have to be changed a number of times.
This was told to me on Mobil 1's answer phone they had awhile ago.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

Amsoil states that though their oil can last for an extended time, you must use the Amsoil filter and still change it regularly. If you use non-amsoil filters, all bets are off.

Actually Mobil 1 in the early years did advertise going 12000-25000 miles before it had to be changed.
But due to people voiding their warrantees by doing so Mobil stopped that advertising.
Did seem kind of ridiculous because a filter would have to be changed a number of times.
This was told to me on Mobil 1's answer phone they had awhile ago.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:11 PM

Mobil will just tell you to follow your manufacturers recommendation.
Mobil 1 can be used for extended periods.
I change mine twice a year which is about 6000 miles in my vehicles.
I use Pure One filters.
I've always wondered why Amsoil lacks the API logo.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

1) I agree
2) 6000 miles is nothing for Mobil 1 but they won't advertise it
3) Read the above link.

Mobil will just tell you to follow your manufacturers recommendation.
Mobil 1 can be used for extended periods.
I change mine twice a year which is about 6000 miles in my vehicles.
I use Pure One filters.
I've always wondered why Amsoil lacks the API logo.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Please stop this. You have already had your butt handed to you on this before. You don't read the oil analysis sticky, Jeff92se's links, BLAH BLAH BLAH and yet you are still hung up on this.

You are monitored for when you make assertions and try to spin things to make Amsoil look bad. Please save the bandwidth for relevant discussions instead of re-inventing the wheel.

And Jeff will be copied on this link.
What do I care if Jeff gets copied this link.

The "documents" I provided were straight from The American Petroleum Institute's web site. All documents you guys provided were from Amsoil's site (maybe a little biased - what do you think?). And do you think I'm going to turn into a believer based on a few samples sent to the lab?

You're damned right I'm going to question somebody who comes on flaming Mobil. You did the same to me right? I want proof too. And the guy is spamming all over your message board, wtf.

"You are monitored for when you make assertions and try to spin things to make Amsoil look bad."

What, are you on the payroll? What the hell does that mean? You gonna ban me now? Or just jump all over me when I make a post.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

One link. So it's document right? lol.

All the other ones were just internet discussions that are just have people arguing just like now so those don't hold any merit especially when those discussions had even less information than our last Amsoil thread.

Go ahead and defend Mobil but I already did. Do you work for Mobil? One could say that too. I've already PM'd Steve and requested him not to put that avaiation link everywhere. But at least it was a factual link. You gotta give him that right?

BTW those few samples hold about 10x more weight than those internet discussion links you provided.

The "documents" I provided were straight from The American Petroleum Institute's web site. All documents you guys provided were from Amsoil's site (maybe a little biased - what do you think?). And do you think I'm going to turn into a believer based on a few samples sent to the lab?

You're damned right I'm going to question somebody who comes on flaming Mobil. You did the same to me right? I want proof too. And the guy is spamming all over your message board, wtf.

"You are monitored for when you make assertions and try to spin things to make Amsoil look bad."

What, are you on the payroll? What the hell does that mean? You gonna ban me now? Or just jump all over me when I make a post.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:23 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

I was just trying to save you further embarassment.

Fine. API is God. Are you happy now?

1. Find a post where I degrade Mobile 1.
2. I did not flame you. You have yet to see a good flame from me, so quit flattering and kidding yourself into thinking you're somebody. You aren't.
3. I'm sorry you can't read, but I DO NOT moderate this board. ARE WE CLEAR?

1. There you go again with personal attacks implying I am somehow being compensated for lab proof that my car has run just fine for 13k miles on Amsoil. If you EVER bothered to read the spreadsheet or actually THINK of an independent thought without being spoon-fed like an infant every stupidass comment that comes from API (who, of course, is unbiased in your sick twisted world), you would have never posted any of this stuff to begin with.

2. You are being monitored means every time you flame Amsoil, I will be there to put you in your place, as is being done right now.

3. I have no power to ban you, although it would be un-wise of you to make very many posts in a forum I actually moderate.

4. You will be called on disparaging comments as you make them. Otherwise, tell people to use Mobile 1 instead of Amsoil because of the checks you receive from th.....I mean because Amsoil doesn't have a label that apparently makes your world go around. Acting like Amsoil is $hit because of your perception of how the world should be is just a simple, stupid assertion on your part.

Not that you would care or even know, but I recommend Mobile 1 for most members here because of the effort required to get Amsoil. It's much easier to tell people "go to Autozone and get 4 or 5 quarts or Wally-World in a jug for $17" than to explain how to get Amsoil. I've seen little empirical proof that Mobile 1 is inferior or really even that much different from Amsoil. But, it does have the ever-so-important API label........
Old 12-18-2001, 01:49 AM

You know, posts like that just encourage me more.

1. I didn't say you were flaming Mobil 1, I said Steve Marsh was.

2. Your right Bill, I'm nobody on this board. But I have over 15 years of actual hands on experience as a tech and am now a shop supervisor. That would be in the real world. I guess that doesn't mean jack here - who cares really. What do you do?

3. API is unbiased yes. How could they not be? Nissan is one of the companies responsible for it. You'd think they would know what kind of oil to put in their engines...

4. "If you EVER bothered to read the spreadsheet or actually THINK of an independent thought without being spoon-fed like an infant every stupidass comment...". Personal attacks now? That's nice - am I getting to you? Nobody's "spoon feeding" me anything. It sure seems like a lot people around here are getting "spoon fed" Amsoil propaganda though. BTW, I read your spreadsheet weeks ago - it's very pretty.

5. Don't worry, I won't make very many posts in your board. Probably none after this. As with most message boards the moderators start to get full of themselves and start thinking they're somehow smarter than the posters. That's why I prefer USENET these days...
Old 12-18-2001, 05:35 AM

WILL ALL THOSE SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS PLEASE STOP ASSUMING THAT I WAS BASHING MOBIL ONE AND OR ANY MOBIL ONE CUSTOMERS. ALL I SAID WAS ALTHOUGH ITS A GOOD OIL, THAT IT WAS INFERIOR TO AMSOIL. AGAIN IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE IT BEST WISHES. AMSOIL=LAMBORGINI MOBIL ONE=PORSCHE THEY ARE BOTH EXCELLENT MACHINES, BUT, WELL YOU KNOW FIGURE IT OUT. OH AND IF YOU CAN PLEASE FIND ME A LEGAL LINK THAT HAS AMSOIL'S NAME ATTACHED TO IT, MOBIL HAS QUITE A FEW AND REMEMBER MOBIL ONE HAS MORE CLOUT TO INFLUENCE (MUDDY THE WATERS) THAN AMSOIL. AMSOIL MAYBE SMALL BUT I BELIEVE IN THEM,THEIR EFFORTS AND PROFESSIONALISM SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. ENOUGH SAID HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!!!
Old 12-18-2001, 08:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

CFster: You have 15 years of shop experience but still just "look" at the oil to determine if it's good or not. You do the same for the antifreeze also? I hope not. So how is it you probably(I hope) use a meter to determine the condition of the antifreeze but you can magicly just "look" at the oil to see if it's good or not? Odd indeed.

Steve Marsh. I already defended you regarding your comments about Mobil 1. No need to use all caps.

This thread is gone from stupid to idiotic. Serious editing might be in order if it persists. Repeating the SAME info over and over. How nice.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:03 AM

$20