4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gas Petal Tension

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 07:09 PM

Gas Petal Tension

I have my hooked up max, its a 1995 GLE, and when i push the gas in not too hard in any matter. Its very simple to do, its very loose and take no effort to push it. I drove a 2000 Maxima GXE and the tension on the gas petal is very tight and ya kinda havedto "push it down". Is there anyway i can change the spring in the throddle. I popped the hood and there seems to be a large circular spring, is it look. How do i tighten the gas peddle tension.

Maxperformance
Old 12-12-2001, 07:25 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Gas Petal Tension

Originally posted by maxperformance
I have my hooked up max, its a 1995 GLE, and when i push the gas in not too hard in any matter. Its very simple to do, its very loose and take no effort to push it. I drove a 2000 Maxima GXE and the tension on the gas petal is very tight and ya kinda havedto "push it down". Is there anyway i can change the spring in the throddle. I popped the hood and there seems to be a large circular spring, is it look. How do i tighten the gas peddle tension.

Maxperformance
You can adjust the tension in the t-h-r-o-t-t-l-e cable under the hood. This will make your gas p-e-d-a-l tighter a little.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:39 PM

or you can experement and pull out the enitre gas pedal assembly and buy a new tension spring. i think they run like $50, that will make the car feel like new!
ill do that one of these days
Old 12-13-2001, 10:31 AM

Re: Gas Petal Tension

Originally posted by maxperformance

Maxperformance
I have the same complaint! My 98 SE's gas pedal is loose as hell. My mother had a 98 SE that she just turned it, the gas pedal on hers was tight and felt much better than mine. I tried tightening the thrttle cables under the hood, but all that did was increase my idle RPMs, didnt change tyhe gas pedal, so I put them back to how they were. I took a look under there and saw a large spring that is obviously our problem, the pedal rocks on that and it provides the tension. I didnt look into getting a new one because it seemed like it'd be a bi*** to replace. Ill live with it until an easier solution comes along.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:10 PM

Re: Re: Gas Petal Tension

Originally posted by araffio

I have the same complaint! My 98 SE's gas pedal is loose as hell. My mother had a 98 SE that she just turned it, the gas pedal on hers was tight and felt much better than mine. I tried tightening the thrttle cables under the hood, but all that did was increase my idle RPMs, didnt change tyhe gas pedal, so I put them back to how they were. I took a look under there and saw a large spring that is obviously our problem, the pedal rocks on that and it provides the tension. I didnt look into getting a new one because it seemed like it'd be a bi*** to replace. Ill live with it until an easier solution comes along.
I heat ya i dont know what to do, but look under the steering column and there is another screw in which the petal pivots on. That doesnt look like a ***** to repair, its just finding it Heres a pic.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:13 PM

Re: Re: Gas Petal Tension

Originally posted by araffio

I heat ya i dont know what to do, but look under the steering column and there is another screw in which the petal pivots on. That doesnt look like a ***** to repair, its just finding it