4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I will never trust a repair shop again.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 PM

I will never trust a repair shop again.

So on tuesday my car failed inspection for EGR flow malfunction, suspension and front end.

i had a little extra cash so i decided to bring my car into the repair shop my family has been giving business for the past 5 years. M & M Auto Service in Dartmouth, MA. I WILL NEVER GO HERE AGAIN.

they give me a quote for 700 dollars for a new ball joint which apparently was about to fall out, new control arm, egr cleaning, rear caliper which was frozen, new break hose and rear rotors and pads.

i was like f*ck.... but i reluctantly proceeded and gave the green light to continue. I pick up the car today and proceed to drive down the street. i hear a strange noise like i am dragging a tin can or something. i pull over, check under my car to see that nothings dragging. the noise was rather faint and i chose to drive i few more miles to see if it would go away or if i should turn around right back to the shop.

SUDDENLY, my car jerks to a halt like somebody threw a screwdriver into my wheel or something. i get out and inspect my wheel. the ****ing retards didnt finish bolting in my front left caliper and the dust shield broke off and mangled itself around my hub, and between the caliper and the rotor. i look closer and notice on of my lug studs are also missing, which i later found in pieces in my cup holder! i now need to replace the lug nut which means i need to purchase an entire pack of 20!

this is a blatant negligence on their part to even test drive my car when they finished before calling me to come pick it up. i called them right after this happend and no answer! i get there and they closed up for the day!

so i got my car towed there and i am planning on being there first thing in the morning and cracking some skulls. what do you think my options are? do you think i can get them to pay for the repair at a different shop? because i deff. do not trust their work there.

i am beyond angry
Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 PM

Tell them you obviously very unsatisfied with this result of the their incompetence of being able to work on a car properly. You will not pay them any extra money for them to repair your vehicle. Rather, you feel more comfortable with them paying for a repair done by another shop since they couldn't do the job properly the first time around. And if they ask why they can't fix it for you yet again, tell them because you are honestly not very secure with their work and you would fear even driving the vehicle off the lot. And also, have them pay for your lug nuts. Don't pay for those to be replaced.

Inder
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM

absolutely. i have no intention on paying after i dropped 700 dollars on their shoddy work. i'm just afraid if they refuse ill pull a hulk and start throwing cars at em i'm so angry haha. I'm sure this sort of thing has happened to other .org members. what have your experiences been like in this situation?
Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Doomi30
absolutely. i have no intention on paying after i dropped 700 dollars on their shoddy work. i'm just afraid if they refuse ill pull a hulk and start throwing cars at em i'm so angry haha. I'm sure this sort of thing has happened to other .org members. what have your experiences been like in this situation?
A few years back, my mother took her car to.... Song Carburetor 314 West Anaheim Street, Long Beach, CA‎
for smog work. Did a horrible job on the carb and refused to bother after she fail. She got it repaired at another shop and had them pay for the repair and the smog check through small claims. It went much quicker and easier than expected.

Last edited by EsQueue; 07-01-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 AM

wowwww man. In darmouth u say. Never goin there.

They should replace everythin for free. If they give u ANY hassle, take them to court.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 AM

You have to be careful who you bring your car to in this area... most of them are just a bunch of hackers.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:35 PM

So on tuesday my car failed inspection for EGR flow malfunction, suspension and front end.

i had a little extra cash so i decided to bring my car into the repair shop my family has been giving business for the past 5 years. M & M Auto Service in Dartmouth, MA. I WILL NEVER GO HERE AGAIN.

they give me a quote for 700 dollars for a new ball joint which apparently was about to fall out, new control arm, egr cleaning, rear caliper which was frozen, new break hose and rear rotors and pads.

i was like f*ck.... but i reluctantly proceeded and gave the green light to continue. I pick up the car today and proceed to drive down the street. i hear a strange noise like i am dragging a tin can or something. i pull over, check under my car to see that nothings dragging. the noise was rather faint and i chose to drive i few more miles to see if it would go away or if i should turn around right back to the shop.

SUDDENLY, my car jerks to a halt like somebody threw a screwdriver into my wheel or something. i get out and inspect my wheel. the ****ing retards didnt finish bolting in my front left caliper and the dust shield broke off and mangled itself around my hub, and between the caliper and the rotor. i look closer and notice on of my lug studs are also missing, which i later found in pieces in my cup holder! i now need to replace the lug nut which means i need to purchase an entire pack of 20!

this is a blatant negligence on their part to even test drive my car when they finished before calling me to come pick it up. i called them right after this happend and no answer! i get there and they closed up for the day!

so i got my car towed there and i am planning on being there first thing in the morning and cracking some skulls. what do you think my options are? do you think i can get them to pay for the repair at a different shop? because i deff. do not trust their work there.

i am beyond angry
First off $700 for all that work is a really good price IMO, considering that parts alone probably would run at least 75% of that bill.

Speaking from experience with shops, you will get absoutely nowhere if you are rude, yelling, calling names, etc. They will probably laugh at you and tell you to get out.

Be firm, tell them exactly what you want done, and tell them that you are not leaving until it is done precicely how you want it. Threaten him by saying you will watch the mechanic finish the job, and you can see that it is done right. Be hard, but don't yell and be a d!ck.

And if he still doesn't want to play, calmly tell him that you're going to call the BBB and get a lawyer. He'll bite into that.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I agree with 99 blackmax. Just explain what went on. Ther insurance should cover tow/any damages etc. If they refuse to admit. Just take them to court and get it serviced somewhere else. P.S. You need to take pictures of the problems before they start ANY repairs to cover your ***.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
And if he still doesn't want to play, calmly tell him that you're going to call the BBB and get a lawyer. He'll bite into that.

No to the BBB, perhaps yes to the lawyer.

You DO know that the BBB is a private business, right?
Old 07-01-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
No to the BBB, perhaps yes to the lawyer.

You DO know that the BBB is a private business, right?

so why is it bad to report to them?
Old 07-01-2010, 07:28 PM

theres a saying .... it goes somethin like "letting another guy work on your car is like letting another guy sleep with ur wife"

i think thats someones sig on the forum

but anyways good luck and the bbb is a good idea in my opinoin
Old 07-01-2010, 10:29 PM

No offense but if those guys at the shop did laugh or tell him to get out, then each and everyone of them deserves a bat to the head.

First of all they screwed up his car, second their screw up could have costed him his life, I mean if your caliper falls off at highway speeds and jams your wheel to a halt at 70MPH, it might have skidded all the way over a rail or off a bridge. I used to work in a dealership and understand that I have the person's life in my hands when I work with things like brakes, and suspension, and ect. There is no excuse to be THAT reckless.

There was a guy who didn't know how to put on lug nuts and instead of torquing them down to like 80-90Ib he just hand tightened them and we all know what happened next... the shop foreman yelled at him when he first walked in the door all the way to his car after being fired.

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
First off $700 for all that work is a really good price IMO, considering that parts alone probably would run at least 75% of that bill.

Speaking from experience with shops, you will get absoutely nowhere if you are rude, yelling, calling names, etc. They will probably laugh at you and tell you to get out.

Be firm, tell them exactly what you want done, and tell them that you are not leaving until it is done precicely how you want it. Threaten him by saying you will watch the mechanic finish the job, and you can see that it is done right. Be hard, but don't yell and be a d!ck.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 PM

so this morning i went into the shop ready for a fight. he tried to tell me that when they were taking off the wheel one of my lugs got completly stripped. how the hell does that happen?!? anyways he was saying he forgot to tell me about that and that he left the stripped lug in there and told me to come back later to fix it. he said what must of happened is the lug came loose and lodged itself into the caliper between it and the rotor and ripped the dust shield off and caused all that damage.

did he think i was that stupid? i said that doesnt make any sense. clearly you just didnt bolt the damn thing back together and it came undone and mangled itself around my hub, this is completely your fault and i fully expect you to pay for all of the repairs to be done at the dealership.

at this point i guess he new he wasnt going to put one over one me and flipped to full out apology mode. the shop fixed everything for me. gave me a new rotor, caliper, dust shield and lug nuts and even brought my wheel to a shop to get it repainted because it scratched the inside of it so badly.

although they took care of the problem the way they should have, i will still never EVER go back to this place. my best friend works at Alden Buick in Fairhaven, MA and he just told me that they just got a car in there that the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO and the shop is paying for all repairs. i swear this shop is going to kill somebody.

i gave this man business for 5 years, who knows how many things he broke while fixing my cars. i'm never being lazy again and i'm doing all my repairs myself for now on. at least if i break something i'm the only one to blame.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Yeah...You should never, AGAIN.. lol. Thanks for sharing the story.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 PM

Wow, that's why I am scared to take my car to any repair shop!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Yeah F that, you should get them to pay another place to fix it, and they should have to pay for your car being towed as well. I stopped having shops work on my car ever since I took my old MR2 to get an oil change and found GUM pushed into my radiator ! >
I just buy my own parts and do labor myself... that way you know everything is done right!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kretzmech
Yeah F that, you should get them to pay another place to fix it, and they should have to pay for your car being towed as well. I stopped having shops work on my car ever since I took my old MR2 to get an oil change and found GUM pushed into my radiator ! >
I just buy my own parts and do labor myself... that way you know everything is done right!
i only made it 2 miles before it all happened and sadly AAA gives the first 3 miles free, which means i didnt get to charge them for it haha.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I've been ripped off by shops before but never has my life been threatened like that because of a shop...

When I first got my 3rd gen back in September 2005 (I was 19), after doing some suspension work myself I wanted to get an alignment. So I called CarX on Irving Park & Kedzie in Chicago since I've had work done there on my old accord when I was 16 and dumb. When they answer the phone I asked them how much for an alignment for a 1993 Maxima and first thing he says "Oh we dont do alignments here" but when I had them replaced the ball joints on my old accord they MADE me get an alignment with them and pay the extra $70...

So I told him about the time with the Accord and the guy got nervous and told me my car was driven to the next nearest CarX where all the carx's send cars to get an alignment since they have an alignment rack. I immediately called bull**** on him and told him I watched my car get worked on and in fact was untouched for nearly an hour while raised. They clearly took advantage of my ignorance and charged me $70. I went in and raised hell but it was too late, 2-3 years too late. He offered a free safety inspection though lol told him to go **** himself.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

trust no1. I am glad they made things right and even fixed your wheel. Sadly this crap happens all the time. Better luck in the future. I had insurance repairs from some1 that backed into my car @ a NISSAN SERVICE CENTER and they even screwed me over bigtime.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by hernameismina
theres a saying .... it goes somethin like "letting another guy work on your car is like letting another guy sleep with ur wife"

i think thats someones sig on the forum
haha...yea it is. I always found his sig comical.

Honestly tho, u shd be able to have good faith in yur mechanic...that being sd, ANYONE can make a mistake, even mechanics. Jus tell em what happened and they should jus fix it to save face.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 AM

although they took care of the problem the way they should have, i will still never EVER go back to this place. my best friend works at Alden Buick in Fairhaven, MA and he just told me that they just got a car in there that the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO and the shop is paying for all repairs. i swear this shop is going to kill somebody.
ok well at least he repaired it for free.

ALWAYS CHeck their work before u drive off. thats what i do.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:46 AM

Good to hear you got a full repair without a fight
Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 PM

Man, f*** these repair shops man. You wouldn't believe my valve covers was leaking and its been less than a year I had a shop do the job for me. I took it back to him and he says yeah its the rear cover. Asked him how much to do it, he says "You can do it yourself. I seen you do stuff on your car and if you need help, I will help you." Already knew something was wrong there and I did it this past weekend away from the shop. This guy tightens my bolts and strip two of them. Also, one bolt broke off and he used some silicon and stuck it back. The EGR tube gasket was not there and instead was a bunch of silicone. Sad to say, I did it myself and bought all the gaskets OEM for about $100 excluding valve cover grommets. Couldn't have been happier and no more burning oil on my exhaust...
Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Man, f*** these repair shops man. You wouldn't believe my valve covers was leaking and its been less than a year I had a shop do the job for me. I took it back to him and he says yeah its the rear cover. Asked him how much to do it, he says "You can do it yourself. I seen you do stuff on your car and if you need help, I will help you." Already knew something was wrong there and I did it this past weekend away from the shop. This guy tightens my bolts and strip two of them. Also, one bolt broke off and he used some silicon and stuck it back. The EGR tube gasket was not there and instead was a bunch of silicone. Sad to say, I did it myself and bought all the gaskets OEM for about $100 excluding valve cover grommets. Couldn't have been happier and no more burning oil on my exhaust...
it nice when you do it your self and its right. feels good
Old 07-02-2010, 05:24 PM

this is fantastic, it just never ends! been driving my car today and after about 20 miles my freakin ABS light turns on! i cant believe this!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Br0nz
so why is it bad to report to them?
Because unless they are a MEMBER of the BBB, AND care about their reputation therein, reporting is waste of time.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:00 PM

personally I would NEVER let anyone work on my car without me standing 3 feet away watching closely...
Old 07-03-2010, 04:03 AM
Donating i30 Owner

I gave up on repair shops as well about a year ago. The money I spent at these 1/2 assed places was better used toward tools. I had a Trans. rebuild go horrible and since then I havn't gone back to a shop. I have my trusty FSM (which nissan techs use), bought a good compressor on sale, and appropriate tools, AND A GOOD JACK not those little mini ones, but a prof. grade one.

At first when I started working on the car myself it was a bit much. Size of components, lack of GOOD JACK etc. But now I can take my car apart like a toy. I feel very comfortable with doing everything and anything to the car. I still wont attempt a trans or engine rebuild because I dont have the time. But replacing parts etc, not a problem anymore.

Also when my brother crashed my other i30 that I gave him to use, I used the spare car as a practice template. I mean I stripped the car and sold parts locally on NYCmaximas.org. I just dismantled the car, before people even wanted parts. It was a really good learing experience. I gutted that bad boy. even took the engine apart (this was a mess, but I got to do it with my own hands which is a priceless experience).

I cant tell you how much better my car runs since I stopped letting these "professionals" work on my car.

I do have a GREAT mechanic NOW, turned friend. I go to him when I'm really strapped for time. He is a car enthusiast and has ample experience with his personal car (99maxima) which is heavily modded.

He takes the time and puts on that little bit of grease or loc tite etc. where needed to make things work smooth and flawlessly. Also he doesnt mind when i text him questions because he has little tips to help make the job easier. ALSO that way he doesnt have to do it himself... cause its not his shop and he gets paid the same amount regardless of if he works on my car or not. Also he lets me borrow tools. the fexable sockets and extensions and all sorts of weird tools the avg. Joe wouldn't have.

The key is tools. If you have the right tools, then your golden.

AND like others mentioned DONT EVER WALK AWAY FROM YOUR CAR. I dont even let the firestone people do an alignment without me there. I have the lifetime alignment deal from firestone, so i used to go 2x a year after wheel swap (winter/summer). I always stand right by the bay. They always ask me "sir can you please step back outside the bay" etc. I look at them nod my head and take a step back and then 2 secs later take two steps forward.

Last edited by HomerMAC; 07-03-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:22 AM

just had a shop do something similar

Just took my 96 max to a guy that I have have do some small repairs when It's something I can't or don't want to do. So I left the parts " cv axles, wheel seals, amsoil gear oil 75w 90, and my sawblade rims I got on craigslist for 50 dollars...they are a little dinged up needless to say. When I go back to pick up the car they tell me , well, we couldn't use the gear oil your drain bolt on tranny broke off,,,,,we didn't use the wheel seals " said i needed transaxle seals or something different and he couldn't get to the wheel seals anyways" but that he saw no leaks" Then to top it all off he says " I just topped it off with some of our gear oil " WHICH IS GL5....then on the way home had a very loud metal on metal scrape sound turns out he bent the dust shields on both sides so i had to fix that too.....so needless to say now I have to pull my gear position sensor to change my fluid in tranny...guess that bolt is stuck there for life.....I returned the wheel seals got my money back ......but I wont be taking my car back to them ever again....so in the long run they lose....my business and anyone that I talk to needing repairs in the area..... I guess what made me more mad is when I called the next day to tell him about the grind ....HE quickly mentions oh yea dust shields might be bent, admitted he didn't drive it after working on it....and then says " alright im really busy I gotta go" WTF> to busy i guess to do proper work too..I'll be doing my own repairs for a while.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by snicklefitz
Just took my 96 max to a guy that I have have do some small repairs when It's something I can't or don't want to do. So I left the parts " cv axles, wheel seals, amsoil gear oil 75w 90, and my sawblade rims I got on craigslist for 50 dollars...they are a little dinged up needless to say. When I go back to pick up the car they tell me , well, we couldn't use the gear oil your drain bolt on tranny broke off,,,,,we didn't use the wheel seals " said i needed transaxle seals or something different and he couldn't get to the wheel seals anyways" but that he saw no leaks" Then to top it all off he says " I just topped it off with some of our gear oil " WHICH IS GL5....then on the way home had a very loud metal on metal scrape sound turns out he bent the dust shields on both sides so i had to fix that too.....so needless to say now I have to pull my gear position sensor to change my fluid in tranny...guess that bolt is stuck there for life.....I returned the wheel seals got my money back ......but I wont be taking my car back to them ever again....so in the long run they lose....my business and anyone that I talk to needing repairs in the area..... I guess what made me more mad is when I called the next day to tell him about the grind ....HE quickly mentions oh yea dust shields might be bent, admitted he didn't drive it after working on it....and then says " alright im really busy I gotta go" WTF> to busy i guess to do proper work too..I'll be doing my own repairs for a while.
WOW, your repair guy sounds like an absolute a$$hole.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:24 AM

i gave this man business for 5 years, who knows how many things he broke while fixing my cars. i'm never being lazy again and i'm doing all my repairs myself for now on. at least if i break something i'm the only one to blame.
Obviously he must have been doing something right for the last 5yrs for you to keep returning during that time. At least he came to the party and fixed it for free. There are plenty of shops out there that wouldnt have. I guess mechanics have bad days occasionally, as we all do, and on that day he just happened to be working on your car.

I say two thumbs up to the guy for fixing it. I know that you are angry with them for it happening in the first place, as anyone would be, but you have a 5yr relationship with this shop, surely that must count for something. If you stay with this shop, im sure the guy will be checking everything he does 3 times to be on the safe side before letting you have your car back.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:10 AM
STFU n00b!

this is fantastic, it just never ends! been driving my car today and after about 20 miles my freakin ABS light turns on! i cant believe this!
It's quite possible the ABS sensor was damaged when the caliper came loose. They stuck it back together and it took a few miles to fail.

Call the shop back and tell them what's happened. Tell them that you're no longer comfortable with their work and are planning to take it to another independent shop for an inspection of their work and to fix the current problem. Tell them you will pay for the inspection on your own dime, but will have the new shop send M&M the repair bill if its determined the problem was caused by them.

Have the new place check over ALL the work that was done by these guys, as they're obviously pretty careless. If there's been one problem, there's likely more they have ignored or covered up.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:27 AM

any good shop has insurance for when they drop the ball on something liek this
so the insurance company is gona end up flipping the bill
if it were you I would have had them replace everything in that wheel well
srtut, hub , ABS Brake EVERYTHING
Old 07-04-2010, 08:29 PM

I took my 95 se to a guy(friend of a good friend) that I(USED)to have do some of the small repairs/maintenance when it was something I didn't want to do. Well i had him do a trans flush, a full tune up, and put a timing belt tensioner on. now i was payin 4 the parts, a pack of cigs, and 50 bucks extra 4 him doin it... All he did for tune-up was crappy plugs, and an oil change.. That was it. the trans he did (i saw it) and then what i didnt see was when he GLUED the broken tensioner back into its place.... Not siliconed, or like some automotive glue at all... F*ckin WOOD GLUE. So yea I paid him 50 and his cigs, then my c/e light came on, codes said i needed a tune up and a tensioner. Lol. Found the glued tensioner and i was PISSED. So i got my $ back and never talked to the guy again... Like that guys sig.... "Payin a man to work on your car is like letting another man have sex with your wife" i learned the hard way... Hopefully the rest of u guys can learn from a stupid 18 y/o's mistakes and not have to go thru that yourself. And for Doomi30, i feel for ya man.. At least mine wasnt catastrophic failure like that tho... I would have cried. Hopefully u can get the ABS crap fixed too... Luckily mine dont have abs lol... Otherwise i probably would have screwed it up when i put my drilled/slotted rotors on... Haha. Good luck with the i30.