4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car stalling and Bog down

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 PM

Car stalling and Bog down

Ok i have read the threads and have gotten no answers. My car stalls usually in the morning atleast once. never while moving, always at a stop. Sometimes when i hit the gas, the rpms drop a little before they rev back up. Then it idles a little more funny. higher than normal. And sometimes this takes place while driving, when i hit the gas it feels like i let off and it bogs then goes.

Problem is, i took it to a shop, and they told me it was the ignition switch. 200 didnt fix it. I then took it into my own hands. I changed the spark plugs and the fuel filter. Its acting up terribly. still. I am about the cclean the MAF with the cleaning spray, but i though the fuel filter was the answer. so my hopes arent high.

The garage also told me the fuel pressure was find and they couldnt find any problems.

ANy more ideas??
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM

those guys at the shop u went to are idiots., This SCREAMS Idle Air Control Valve all the way.

Clean TB, MAF, and IACV per how tos. Test IACV per FSM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Here is a quick way to test if it is the most expensive thing on that list. While your car is idling and struggling and about to die.

UNPLUG your MAF and if it returns to normal and does not chock or stall without it connected. Then it is your MAF, thats how I found out that mine died.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM

oh its also blowing white smoke. And to be honest i dont know what TB is. But ill clean if someone lets me know.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:29 PM

basically im not the best with any abbreviations. yet.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 PM

throttle body. i'm having similar issues with my car... If you're having idling issues when in park a suggestion is adjusting your idle screw located next to the throttle body and right next to the cable that controls how much air enters in to your throttle body

Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo95Max
basically im not the best with any abbreviations. yet.
tb is throttle body maf is mass air flow sensor if ur blowin white smoke sound like a head gasket to me
Old 07-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Almost same problem with Maxima 1996

My Maxima has a similar problem with some differences:
* starting after having been parked for a short time (shopping for instance) engine stalls but keeps running after one or two trials.
* engine quits shortly after driving a very short distance when I have to slow down. Have to start a couple of times and no more problems till another day.
I was thinking about an interruption in the fuel supply but I will have my mechanic consider the options in the posts before this one.
Any additional tips are most welcome.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 PM

here is this man - Cleaning the suggested items

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...g-dummies.html
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Newobroco
My Maxima has a similar problem with some differences:
* starting after having been parked for a short time (shopping for instance) engine stalls but keeps running after one or two trials.
* engine quits shortly after driving a very short distance when I have to slow down. Have to start a couple of times and no more problems till another day.
I was thinking about an interruption in the fuel supply but I will have my mechanic consider the options in the posts before this one.
Any additional tips are most welcome.
clean ur maf make sure u have a good connection at maf connector and check ur ects
Old 07-13-2010, 03:42 PM

how much is it to replace a head gasket
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo95Max
how much is it to replace a head gasket
thegasket its self is cheap the work involved is alot and if ur not mechanicly incline i would not recomend doing it ur self check ur oil on the dip stick see if its like chocolate milk and do a compression check on all six cylinders
Old 07-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem with that a lot of others have had with the low idle at stop lights. I tried spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. One day it was really running rough, had a mechanic friend look at it. While it was idling (roughly), he tapped the lower EGR valve and it started idling perfectly - it apparently was stuck. I replaced that the next day and haven't had a problem since.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 AM

there shd be a rule in the stickies: U cant post a question until u do the TB, MAF, IACV, EGR cleaning. At least the MAF, and TB. Sooooo many issues can be attributed to a dirty MAF or TB
Old 07-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, just bought my I30t yesterday and it had a P0400. I can't find anything on the forum (though I'm sure there's something somewhere and I'm just overlooking it)... Should you be able to see any light in your TB between the Plate and the TB Inlet?

I did a FULL clean on my TB, EGR Tube (was caked horribly!!!), & my IACV. I also cleaned the Intake Manifold as much in as I could because it was caked all around the EGR Tube Inlet and behind the IACV. Put everything back together, put a K&N filter in, and it ran wonderfully. Went to the shop and put on a new stock exhaust from the lower cat back and since then...rough idle. It'll idle rough, but won't stall. It idles between 800 and 500. I'm wondering if this is just a by product of all the cleaning I did and need to let it clear out before I do anything else? idk...

Please feel free to PM me if I'm being a total Noob here and you have the answer. Since I'm new, I take criticism very well.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by MASantschi
Ok, just bought my I30t yesterday and it had a P0400. I can't find anything on the forum (though I'm sure there's something somewhere and I'm just overlooking it)... Should you be able to see any light in your TB between the Plate and the TB Inlet?

I did a FULL clean on my TB, EGR Tube (was caked horribly!!!), & my IACV. I also cleaned the Intake Manifold as much in as I could because it was caked all around the EGR Tube Inlet and behind the IACV. Put everything back together, put a K&N filter in, and it ran wonderfully. Went to the shop and put on a new stock exhaust from the lower cat back and since then...rough idle. It'll idle rough, but won't stall. It idles between 800 and 500. I'm wondering if this is just a by product of all the cleaning I did and need to let it clear out before I do anything else? idk...

Please feel free to PM me if I'm being a total Noob here and you have the answer. Since I'm new, I take criticism very well.
Well since you already cleaned out some of your EGR, did the code go away? If so and you are having this rough idle, I would start checking your coilpacks.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Well since you already cleaned out some of your EGR, did the code go away? If so and you are having this rough idle, I would start checking your coilpacks.
Yes. The code went away. I reset the code and drove it around for awhile...clear as a whistle. I went down and put a new stock exhaust / muffler (from the cat back) on (and new sway bar linkage) and then, on the way home from the exhaust shop it started with the surges. I'll check the coilpacks and the injector / plugs in the morning and let you know how that turns out.

I'm just worried that it's the gap I see in the TB Plate / Inlet. It's very small on the top and bottom, but it's there. Know what I mean?

Cheers
Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 PM

Yes. The code went away. I reset the code and drove it around for awhile...clear as a whistle. I went down and put a new stock exhaust / muffler (from the cat back) on (and new sway bar linkage) and then, on the way home from the exhaust shop it started with the surges. I'll check the coilpacks and the injector / plugs in the morning and let you know how that turns out.

I'm just worried that it's the gap I see in the TB Plate / Inlet. It's very small on the top and bottom, but it's there. Know what I mean?

Cheers
Ok I am not too sure what gap are you talking about. Looking at the pic in the previous post, can you tell me exactly where you see a gap? is it at the top?
Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok I am not too sure what gap are you talking about. Looking at the pic in the previous post, can you tell me exactly where you see a gap? is it at the top?
Top and Bottom...

When looking into the TB Inlet @ the TB Plate, there is a small gap at the bottom and a small gap at the top. I'm talking "very" small, however, when I had the TB off the car, and had completed the cleaning, I could see light through there. The only places I couldn't see light was where the TB Plate meets the TB Inlet on both left and right sides.

I hope that makes sense?
Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 PM

Top and Bottom...

When looking into the TB Inlet @ the TB Plate, there is a small gap at the bottom and a small gap at the top. I'm talking "very" small, however, when I had the TB off the car, and had completed the cleaning, I could see light through there. The only places I couldn't see light was where the TB Plate meets the TB Inlet on both left and right sides.

I hope that makes sense?

Ok yeah that makes more sense now. There is suppose to be a gasket there. If you are seeing light there, it must mean that it is not there and you have an air leak. You will need to go to the dealer to obtain that gasket. It is fairly inexpensive.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok yeah that makes more sense now. There is suppose to be a gasket there. If you are seeing light there, it must mean that it is not there and you have an air leak. You will need to go to the dealer to obtain that gasket. It is fairly inexpensive.
AWESOME! I'll give the dealership a call in the morning.

Cheers