4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Jacking up the car

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Jacking up the car

just wondering, in the haynes manual it says that there are 4 designated spots/notches on the rocker panel where youre supposed to jack it, 1 in the front and 1 in the rear on both sides . However, if you use the car jack on these designated spots...then there is no place to put the jack stands...what is the solution to this?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Anywhere on the Pinch wall is a suitable jack point within reason, as well as the floor under the drivers and passengers in the front. Also, the rear Axle and under the LCA's.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:40 PM

There's a nub under the front of the car for jacking. For jacking the rear, use the rear axle. I think that unless you have a lift, the notches are just for the jack stands.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:30 PM

I believe the notches on the pinch wall are there for identifying where to put the factory supplied jack for those times when you need to change a tire and you're a 100 miles from your beloved floor jack. The jack even has the appropriate slot for fitting over the pinch wall.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:11 PM

Jacking & Hoisting

Never use the tire changing jack (the little jack supplied with the vehicle) for anything other than changing a flat out on the road. These jacks are simply not safe enough for any type of vehicle service except tire changing!
For this reason a hydraulic floor jack of at least 11/2 ton capacity is as necessary as a spark plug socket to you, the do-it-yourself owner/mechanic. The cost of these jacks (invest in a good quality unit) is actually quite reasonable considering how they pay for themselves again and again over the years.
Raise the front of the vehicle with a floor jack beneath the front crossmember ...
... and support the vehicle with jackstands beneath the body rails
Raise the rear of the vehicle with the jack under the rear suspension cross-support. Note the protrusion for jacking
Support the rear of the vehicle with jackstands beneath the rear suspension link pivots
The pantograph jack should only be used for changing a tire in an emergency; NEVER use this jack for servicing
Along with a hydraulic floor jack should be at least two sturdy jackstands. These are a necessity if you intend to work underneath the vehicle. Never work under the vehicle when it is only supported by a jack!
Drive-on ramps are an alternative method of raising the front end of the vehicle. They are commercially available or can be fabricated from heavy lumber or steel. Be sure to always block the wheels when using ramps.

CAUTION NEVER use concrete cinder blocks to support the vehicle. They are likely to break if the load is not evenly distributed. They should never be trusted when you are under the vehicle!

http://www.chiltonlibrary.com/conten...s/89611g50.pdf
Old 07-25-2010, 10:22 PM

Wow, thanks for those photos! I was looking for them like a month ago, but never found anything good.

That said, I don't really know if the front jack stand point you've indicated are the best. I have never felt that they were particularly strong and the one time I tried to lift my car from that point, it did not turn out well. My preferred jack stand points are farther out, closer to the painted part that's rolled under the car.

...come to think of it...that's not a Maxima, is it?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 PM

I find that, for the front jackstands, the rear mounting point for the LCAs is a good sturdy alternative to the points you suggested and, arguably, more stable.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 PM

I Would NEVER Use the Crossmember for a Maxima!! thats Insane! Especially with the Radiator Core Support issues!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by j-dawg
...come to think of it...that's not a Maxima, is it?
Def not a 4th or 5th gen. We have a rear beam....
Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
Def not a 4th or 5th gen. We have a rear beam....
It's a 1989-94 Maxima. Notice the parallel links and the stock swaybar.

I jack my max up from the crossmember, safe enough for me
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax

I jack my max up from the crossmember, safe enough for me
my 95 has been driven in the snow for the last 10 winters and my rad support looks almost new,. I jack using the nub right below the rad cross member
Old 07-27-2010, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I was guessing it's a 3rd, but by the under bumper fogs.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 AM

The notches are about a foot behind the front quarter panels along the seam below your rocker panels (under the door) and a foot in front of the rear wheels. When you look at it from underneath the car, you will see little rectangle like flat spots that are about the size of the spare tire jack moung. There should be a little diagram on the spare jack showing where they are.

The front of the body rails in their thicker part is good for jackstands. You can also use the middle of the rear axle with a floor jack as long as you balance it out in the front or along the rear rockers or LCA mounts as mentioned above.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:12 PM

yeah, the max was very confusing when tryin to jack it up. When doin my oil changes i put the jacks on a LCA joint with the rest of the frame. The book def says there are jack points, i sure as hell never seen em
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Atimaxx
The notches are about a foot behind the front quarter panels along the seam below your rocker panels (under the door) and a foot in front of the rear wheels. When you look at it from underneath the car, you will see little rectangle like flat spots that are about the size of the spare tire jack moung. There should be a little diagram on the spare jack showing where they are.

The front of the body rails in their thicker part is good for jackstands. You can also use the middle of the rear axle with a floor jack as long as you balance it out in the front or along the rear rockers or LCA mounts as mentioned above.

So is this the right place for the '99 Maxima? Is this just for jacking the car up or for the jackstands? and can you use the spare jack to lift the car up and put the jack stands in there?