4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Still kickin'

Got mine in today (Thanks Brian!!) It sounds awesome Didn't take any pics of the install since it's the same for everyone in that department. Did make a video though to show the sound, enjoy!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
Got mine in today (Thanks Brian!!) It sounds awesome Didn't take any pics of the install since it's the same for everyone in that department. Did make a video though to show the sound, enjoy!

Sounds freaking awesome man, nice video.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Still kickin'

Thanks man! This by far the best sounding exhaust I have ever owned. Brian and the whole Cattman team deserve major props on designing and producing some seriously great products.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 PM

Catless HuH? Sounds like power comes on really nice! Definitely well done! Nice, deep and smooth......
Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Still kickin'

Originally Posted by CMax03
Catless HuH? Sounds like power comes on really nice! Definitely well done! Nice, deep and smooth......
Actually I bought a stock 95-96 cat (may not make sense to most - think wind tunnels ...) which I think mellowed out the sound. I'm not terribly environmentally conscience, but it really helps mellow out the sound.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 PM

great sound clips man loving the ride very clean ^^^^
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 PM

Actually I bought a stock 95-96 cat (may not make sense to most - think wind tunnels ...) which I think mellowed out the sound. I'm not terribly environmentally conscience, but it really helps mellow out the sound.
I wouldn't run w/o a cat period it does reduce the sound and harshness vs a test pipe.....My High flow cat is louder than an OEM catc though, but still smoother than those test pipes......
Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Still kickin'

I wouldn't run w/o a cat period it does reduce the sound and harshness vs a test pipe.....My High flow cat is louder than an OEM catc though, but still smoother than those test pipes......
Yeah man, many people don't understand that a lot of the rasp they're getting is coming from their test pipes. This exhaust is perfectly smooth, and quiet as hell at low load cruising.

Those with a 3.5 swap need to really think about getting this exhaust. It really is the best exhaust you can buy, and I believe Brain has a couple more sets available at the introductory price. Believe me, it's well worth the costs involved.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Yeah man, many people don't understand that a lot of the rasp they're getting is coming from their test pipes. This exhaust is perfectly smooth, and quiet as hell at low load cruising.

Those with a 3.5 swap need to really think about getting this exhaust. It really is the best exhaust you can buy, and I believe Brain has a couple more sets available at the introductory price. Believe me, it's well worth the costs involved.
Even with a 3.0 too! I hope to prove what I feel/seen with a dyno sometime soon.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Black Lion

3.0 exhaust install.

Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman-dscn0235.jpgI got mine in finally. Install wasn't bad.. for those that are installing on their own, do your self a favor and get a helping hand.. it makes a world of difference. I notice I have gained some power on lower and top end it seems.
Tone is deeper but sounds really nice compared to the 2.5 exhaust. It also has a slight drone at higher speeds but nothing bad at all

The only thing Im disappointed with is the tip sitting flush with my bumper . It does not stick out like the Wizards does, and according to Brian Catts the Wiz and I have the same set up ie, Cattman headers, fast cat and 3.0" catback. I found that really weird. I spoke to Brian about this and to correct the problem I had to purchase two 3/8 blank flanges that need to be installed between the mid pipe and muffler flange. This will bring the tip out that extra 3/4"... yes it bothers me that much that I spent and extra 50 bucks to buy the flanges.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Black Lion

Here's how my 2.5 Cattman stuck out past the bumper. Big difference and in my opinion it looks better when the tip sticks out a bit. Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman-dscn0233.jpg
Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Maxprivate, do you have LED reverse lights and turn signals?

I don't know about you guys, but I find myself shifting ~300 rpms sooner in daily driving (5MT). The car feels just as, if not more powerful shifting earlier with the 3" than it did shifting later with stock and 2.25" exhaust..
Old 11-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by maxprivate
Attachment 1899I got mine in finally. Install wasn't bad.. for those that are installing on their own, do your self a favor and get a helping hand.. it makes a world of difference. I notice I have gained some power on lower and top end it seems.
Tone is deeper but sounds really nice compared to the 2.5 exhaust. It also has a slight drone at higher speeds but nothing bad at all

The only thing Im disappointed with is the tip sitting flush with my bumper . It does not stick out like the Wizards does, and according to Brian Catts the Wiz and I have the same set up ie, Cattman headers, fast cat and 3.0" catback. I found that really weird. I spoke to Brian about this and to correct the problem I had to purchase two 3/8 blank flanges that need to be installed between the mid pipe and muffler flange. This will bring the tip out that extra 3/4"... yes it bothers me that much that I spent and extra 50 bucks to buy the flanges.
Actually, 1) these things can vary a fraction of an inch from car to car 2) not everyone would consider that to be a problem, others would say "just right", 3) only use one spacer flange in one spot, so those will go between muffler and b-pipe and between front b-pipe and back b-pipe, 4) the 3/8" flanges that are purpose-built for these parts are surprisingly expensive and can't be given away, so we charge $20/each + shipping.

In other words, instead of saying you "had to purchase two flanges to solve a problem", I'd prefer to look at it as having "the opportunity to custom-modify the system to match your preferences".

Brian
Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 AM

WOwwwwwwwww!
Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 AM

Attachment 1899I got mine in finally. Install wasn't bad.. for those that are installing on their own, do your self a favor and get a helping hand.. it makes a world of difference. I notice I have gained some power on lower and top end it seems.

shiet.. i wish my greddy sat that flush.. btw.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Cattman
Actually, 1) these things can vary a fraction of an inch from car to car 2) not everyone would consider that to be a problem, others would say "just right", 3) only use one spacer flange in one spot, so those will go between muffler and b-pipe and between front b-pipe and back b-pipe, 4) the 3/8" flanges that are purpose-built for these parts are surprisingly expensive and can't be given away, so we charge $20/each + shipping.

In other words, instead of saying you "had to purchase two flanges to solve a problem", I'd prefer to look at it as having "the opportunity to custom-modify the system to match your preferences".

Brian
Brian, I understand your defense to my post however, having the same setup as the Wizard I was expecting it to sit (Tip extended past the bumper a bit) where it was designed to be. Especially since the 2.5 I had sat perfectly with no modifications. Whether I have a rear valence or not the tip still sit flush with the stock bumper. I knew it was fixable so to speak, I was just expressing my disappointment. Other than that Im extremely happy with the exhaust.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Maxprivate, do you have LED reverse lights and turn signals?

I don't know about you guys, but I find myself shifting ~300 rpms sooner in daily driving (5MT). The car feels just as, if not more powerful shifting earlier with the 3" than it did shifting later with stock and 2.25" exhaust..
Yes they are reverse LED as well.
I agree the car definitely feels faster.

Originally Posted by 99greddymax
shiet.. i wish my greddy sat that flush.. btw.
Everyone has a preference. Had I know it would sit flush with the bumper and it did exactly that when the install was complete, I wouldn't be having to express any disappointment. I don't know how the Greddy exhaust is today.. but when I had mine, I had to have the tip extended for it to pass the bumper. this was years ago. Anyway the minor problem resolved so I'll let the subject die.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 AM

Brian, I understand your defense to my post however, having the same setup as the Wizard I was expecting it to sit (Tip extended past the bumper a bit) where it was designed to be. Especially since the 2.5 I had sat perfectly with no modifications. Whether I have a rear valence or not the tip still sit flush with the stock bumper. I knew it was fixable so to speak, I was just expressing my disappointment. Other than that Im extremely happy with the exhaust.
I believe if a 1/4"-1/2" of tip protrusion is what you want I'm sure playing with your hanger mounts or installing that extra flange & gaskets will get you to the promise land.....Seems a bit trivia but everyone has their person niches. Ever vehicle may differ slightly especially when including the non structural parts like rear fascias (bumper covers)....Would you prefer:
1.Perfect tip protrusion but banging it's a$$ off under the chassis?
2.Perfect undercarriage fitment and a flush tip to bumper fit?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Black Lion

I believe if a 1/4"-1/2" of tip protrusion is what you want I'm sure playing with your hanger mounts or installing that extra flange & gaskets will get you to the promise land.....Seems a bit trivia but everyone has their person niches. Ever vehicle may differ slightly especially when including the non structural parts like rear fascias (bumper covers)....Would you prefer:
1.Perfect tip protrusion but banging it's a$$ off under the chassis?
2.Perfect undercarriage fitment and a flush tip to bumper fit?
I would expect to have the exact finished install like the Wizards has. Nothing more nothing less. See the pics he posted of his on his finished install. You'll see his tip extends just a bit, he also had concern of his not sitting past the bumper when he saw Smelly's installed... His tip recessed a bit however, he has different exhaust setups than the Wiz and I who's are the same. Rear Valence or not, the tip is flush with my stock bumper, I don't know why we keep talking about the rear valence. It has nothing to do with the tip being flush or not.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Boosted Panda

I would expect to have the exact finished install like the Wizards has. Nothing more nothing less. See the pics he posted of his on his finished install. You'll see his tip extends just a bit, he also had concern of his not sitting past the bumper when he saw Smelly's installed... His tip recessed a bit however, he has different exhaust setups than the Wiz and I who's are the same. Rear Valence or not, the tip is flush with my stock bumper, I don't know why we keep talking about the rear valence. It has nothing to do with the tip being flush or not.
Yeah but every car will be slightly different. Ive removed a catback from my vehicle and installed it on another 95-96 and the tip wasnt in the same position that it was on mine. Have you tried adjusting the hangers?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Yeah but every car will be slightly different. Ive removed a catback from my vehicle and installed it on another 95-96 and the tip wasnt in the same position that it was on mine. Have you tried adjusting the hangers?
I guess your right. No, I didn't try adjusting them. I would probably have to heat them up to reposition them. I'm just going to wait for the blank flanges to come in, that should take care of the issue. Its an issue that I'm just discussing here since this is about the 3.0 system. I'm just making others aware what I've experienced and what they may come across. Some may like the tip flush others may not. None the less the issue can be addressed.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Yeah but every car will be slightly different. Ive removed a catback from my vehicle and installed it on another 95-96 and the tip wasnt in the same position that it was on mine...
Thanks for reporting on that. I tell people that the same catback will fit differently on different vehicles and they think I'm jiving them, but its true.

Each catback we make is the same dimensionally, but the cars themselves vary, and I think this is mainly a matter of 1) how the engine/driveline gets planted in the chassis, 2) differences between the exhaust parts ahead of the catback that cause the rear flange of the cat (where the catback attaches, for the newbies) to end up in different positions and, 3) small variations in how the chassis itself is assembled. I think the parts themselves are fairly consistant dimensionally, its how they are assembled that creates the variations.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:29 PM

I thought The Wiz posted pics of stock exhaust except the 3"
Old 12-02-2010, 01:04 PM

Dont think it's gunna happen this year....

I spoke with brian had my money ready for the 3" catback n he informed me that people dropped out when deposit was due......now I have headers fast cat n an incomplete project.......keep me posted if we have any Real takers.....
Old 12-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by maxboy325
I thought The Wiz posted pics of stock exhaust except the 3"
Did you read through the posts? The pic was of the pre fabrication for the 3" exhaust then the final prototype. See post 251 by the Wizard.

Originally Posted by Famz767
I spoke with brian had my money ready for the 3" catback n he informed me that people dropped out when deposit was due......now I have headers fast cat n an incomplete project.......keep me posted if we have any Real takers.....
What are you talking about? The first batch of 3" exhaust were produced. There are a few that has already installed there's, including myself. Unless you are talking about a second batch.

Last edited by maxprivate; 12-02-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 AM

Did you read through the posts? The pic was of the pre fabrication for the 3" exhaust then the final prototype. See post 251 by the Wizard.
Sorry worded that wrong from my phone. What I ment was, The Wizard installed the 3" on his stock car. Stock manifolds and stock Y-pipe. I said this because you stated the two of you have the same setup but different fitment
Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 PM

If I read correctly... this exhaust is 3". But does it become 3" right off from the y-pipe... or does it become a 3" after the y-pipe?

This should bolt up to all Cattman headers correct? (dont know if there any changes in production year)
Old 12-03-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by SleepyMax1
If I read correctly... this exhaust is 3". But does it become 3" right off from the y-pipe... or does it become a 3" after the y-pipe?

This should bolt up to all Cattman headers correct? (dont know if there any changes in production year)
NO! 3" after the Catalytic converter (From the cat>back)! That's why it's called a catback! If it would've been just behind the ypipe, the nomenclature would be yback or ypipeback.....
Old 12-03-2010, 02:01 PM

Gotcha...
Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Black Lion

Sorry worded that wrong from my phone. What I ment was, The Wizard installed the 3" on his stock car. Stock manifolds and stock Y-pipe. I said this because you stated the two of you have the same setup but different fitment
From what I understood he was using Cattman, from headers back. In any event, our fitment appears to be off by a very minor measurement.

Last edited by maxprivate; 12-04-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 AM

From what I understood he was using Cattman, from headers back. In any event, our fitment appears to be off by a very minor measurement.
I think you guys are talking about two different cars.. There is his supercharged max which I assume uses cattman from the headers back. And there is his stock max which the test fit was done on and has the 3" currently installed.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
I think you guys are talking about two different cars.. There is his supercharged max which I assume uses cattman from the headers back. And there is his stock max which the test fit was done on and has the 3" currently installed.
I think so too. The wiz posted his stock max with 3" exhaust NOT the supercharged
car with FULL Cattman exhaust
Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Regardless whether what car it was (the non-supercharged was the guinae pig) if you want yours to fit like that, just buy the extra flange and call it the day.....it's easy! Or ship the Rear section back to Brian and pay for a longer tip and shipment back and forth....
Old 12-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Black Lion

I think so too. The wiz posted his stock max with 3" exhaust NOT the supercharged
car with FULL Cattman exhaust
Well then Im curious to see where it wound up on his supercharged Max. Wait and see when the Wizards posts on it.

Regardless whether what car it was (the non-supercharged was the guinae pig) if you want yours to fit like that, just buy the extra flange and call it the day.....it's easy! Or ship the Rear section back to Brian and pay for a longer tip and shipment back and forth....
Yeah true, but do you guys understand my argument? I knew from the beginning it could be fixed.

Im also getting vibration from the exhaust, I think its hitting underneath the car around the bend before the muffler flange. Once I get the flanges to extend the tip I'll post what I found.

Last edited by maxprivate; 08-09-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Well then Im curious to see where it wound up on his suoercharged Max. Wait and see when the Wizards posts on it.

Yeah true, but do you guys understand my argument? I knew from the beginning it could be fixed.

Im also getting vibration from the exhaust, I think its hitting underneath the car around the bend before the muffler flange. Once I get the flanges to extend the tip I'll post what I found.
Sure you got the resonator on right? The dot should be on the fwd flange and it should be @ 12 o'clock (up) position! Or you got some loose worn hanger mounts...
Old 12-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Black Lion

Sure you got the resonator on right? The dot should be on the fwd flange and it should be @ 12 o'clock (up) position! Or you got some loose worn hanger mounts...

I Installed the resonator the exact same way my previous 2.5 resonator was. I bought all new hangers and used the hose clamp method Brian mentioned to keep the hangers (walker's) nice and firm. Maybe I need to loosen them up a bit, I just have the hose clamps snug around the hangers. The O2 sensor on the resonator is facing the drivers side of the car as far as orientation. Never noticed the dot you are talking about.

I didn't install the 2.5 on my car, so I was just duplicating what was there. The way the O2 sensor wires comes out of the rubber grommet.. it makes sense to install the resonator where It was originally so it lines right up with the O2 sensor. By the way I also have a check engine light that keeps coming back. 10 01 (Front Left Htd 02 sensor heater)I got a tab bit of anti seize on the sensor..that could be causing the ecu light maybe? I didn't have an ecu light before the install so I doubt the sensor is bad. I got the sensor off the old setup fairly easy.. didn't use any heat to loosen it etc.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:57 PM

I Installed the resonator the exact same way my previous 2.5 resonator was. I bought all new hangers and used the hose clamp method Brian mentioned to keep the hangers (walker's) nice and firm. Maybe I need to loosen them up a bit, I just have the hose clamps snug around the hangers. The O2 sensor on the resonator is facing the drivers side of the car as far as orientation. Never noticed the dot you are talking about.

I didn't install the 2.5 on my car, so I was just duplicating what was there. The way the O2 sensor wires comes out of the rubber grommet.. it makes sense to install the resonator where It was originally so it lines right up with the O2 sensor. By the way I also have a check engine light that keeps coming back. 10 01 (Front Left Htd 02 sensor heater)I got a tab bit of anti seize on the sensor..that could be causing the ecu light maybe? I didn't have an ecu light before the install so I doubt the sensor is bad. I got the sensor off the old setup fairly easy.. didn't use any heat to loosen it etc.
You have headers w/a cat or testpipe?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Black Lion

You have headers w/a cat or testpipe?
Headers, and fast cat. All Cattman.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Well then Im curious to see where it wound up on his suoercharged Max. Wait and see when the Wizards posts on it.

The flange on the muffler is hitting the heatshield above it. You will need to bend that part of the heatshield out of the way or cut it. I believe the Wizard mentioned it when he had the exhaust installed.

I also installed my rear sway bar last week, had to place the mounts on the trailing arms as close to the axle as possible otherwise the mount would rub on the b-pipe 24/7.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 12-04-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:25 PM

Headers, and fast cat. All Cattman.
What generation Cattman header 1st, 2nd or 3rd....The 3rd pushed my exhaust back about 1.5" on my 5.5th so maybe you have one of the others.....

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman