4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

im stuck need help with motor flooded with fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 PM

im stuck need help with motor flooded with fuel

I started my car rev engine to let my friend here my turbo blow off and then pulled off to go home. suddenly it sputterd and died on me I try to restart it and it would not start..... killing my starter towed it home took the intake manifold off and this is what I saw

I used a towel to get some of it out but should I just put it back together and start it or is thier something wrong with my injector

Last edited by 2maxximum; 08-04-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 PM

the fifth one was the only one flooded with fuel
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 PM

if your cylinder is full of gas, the injector is prob bad as it is stuck open. test your injector first. Do'nt think soaking up the gas and putting back the manifold is gonna fix your problem.

testing your injector.

Using a stethoscope or a screwdriver pressed against the injector with your ear to the handle listen for a clicking sound. If it’s clicking, it’s working, but there is no way to tell how well.

You can confirm the injector is getting a signal with an injector test light (noid light). It plugs into the harness and flashes when operating correctly. Engine must be running for this test.

Finally you can test the injectors impedance with a multimeter. The impedance should be approximately 10-14 ohms between the terminals.

Hope that helps a little?

Last edited by ImmaSquashYou; 08-04-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
if your cylinder is full of gas, the injector is prob bad as it is stuck open. test your injector first. Do'nt think soaking up the gas and putting back the manifold is gonna fix your problem.

testing your injector.

Using a stethoscope or a screwdriver pressed against the injector with your ear to the handle listen for a clicking sound. If it’s clicking, it’s working, but there is no way to tell how well.

You can confirm the injector is getting a signal with an injector test light (noid light). It plugs into the harness and flashes when operating correctly. Engine must be running for this test.

Finally you can test the injectors impedance with a multimeter. The impedance should be approximately 10-14 ohms between the terminals.

Hope that helps a little?
What he said
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 PM

thanks i will try to test it first thing in the morning. I'm really getting frustrated if it ant one thing its another. brake booster needs replacing too.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

With just one injector leaking fuel the engine should have started.
The leaky injector should be replaced, but that's not your problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
With just one injector leaking fuel the engine should have started.
The leaky injector should be replaced, but that's not your problem.
1 injector leaking bad enough will cause a hydro lock (cyl full of liquid) and will stop crank dead, can even bend a rod just trying to crank over.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 AM

did you check to see if you are getting any spark?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
1 injector leaking bad enough will cause a hydro lock (cyl full of liquid) and will stop crank dead, can even bend a rod just trying to crank over.
That wasn't what happened to him.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM

That wasn't what happened to him.
Were you there? Tell us what happened then.

I've personally seen this happen on a Toyota 22R. In this case the ECM shorted and held 2 injectors open.

I cant think of any other eason for only 1 cyl to be full of fuel.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by TurboA32
did you check to see if you are getting any spark?
I didnt check for spark, not yet but the injector is bad we checked the ohm and it read 1, I am worried about the hydro lock issue so when I get the new injector tomorrow I will remove the spark plug and try to get the motor unlocked.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Were you there? Tell us what happened then.

I've personally seen this happen on a Toyota 22R. In this case the ECM shorted and held 2 injectors open.

I cant think of any other eason for only 1 cyl to be full of fuel.
as for the ECM what is done to check it?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2maxximum
as for the ECM what is done to check it?
Check injector harness for duty cycle. Any good DVOM should have the setting. 100% is bad. Could be the injector itself is jammed open with varnish or carbon.

Actually you could just key the ignition on with the intake off (just as in the pic above) and see the injector spraying with the motor off. If it sprays, unplug electrical from injector and try again to differentiate between injector and ECM.

My guess is that it will be the only injector constantly spraying.

Last edited by asand1; 08-05-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 PM

I didn't check for spark, not yet but the injector is bad we checked the ohm and it read 1, I am worried about the hydro lock issue so when I get the new injector tomorrow I will remove the spark plug and try to get the motor unlocked.
Good on you, sounds like you found the answer. Before you plug in the new injector, Check the plug for volts and duty cycle, I don't know the specs But If you need someone can look in their own FSM. Ask around if you don't have a Field Service Manual or Factory Service Manual someone will PM a link I'm sure.

Good move pulling the spark plug and cranking it over. Make sure you don't have any open flames or sparks or

Last edited by asand1; 08-05-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:17 AM

Were you there?
Nope.

Tell us what happened then.
Perhaps you didn't read his opening post??

I started my car rev engine to let my friend here my turbo blow off and then pulled off to go home. suddenly it sputterd and died on me I try to restart it and it would not start..... killing my starter
Let me sum it up for you. The engine was running, sputterd and died. He cranks it but it doesn't start.

There is no way in he11 you could possibly hydro lock a motor with the slight spray from an injector stuck open while the engine is spinning.

He's definately got a bad injector, but I don't think thats what caused his engine to sputter and die. It would have easily continued to run with a misfire on that cylinder.

My .02 cents, take it for what it's worth.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM

He cranks it but it doesn't start...
There is no way in he11 you could possibly hydro lock a motor with the slight spray from an injector stuck open while the engine is spinning.
Easy the bank 1 o2 sensor saw hydrocarbons off the scale due to cyl #1 being rediculously rich. this caused the ECM to kill the other two injectors. between the time the motor stalled and OP turned the ignition off the cylinder was topping off with fuel.

He didnt say he cranked it, and it didnt start.

He said; "I try to restart it and it would not start..... killing my starter"
I take this to mean at may have turned 1 revoltion, if that, and came to a stop "killing the starter".

If you have a better diagnosis and troubleshooting plan than offer it up. other wise stop spamming.

This is not a personal attack ar anything but I think you should stick to threads you can contribute to other than disputing others posts with no alternative explanantion. just my .02.

Last edited by asand1; 08-06-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Kevlo for President

calm down here buddy

and there is no way the ecu would know to kill 2 injectors, it doesnt work that way, it only controls the banks.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM

hym....somehow my sig picture is gone.....

but
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 AM

here is how i see things. You can be the best mechanic out there, but there are always things that happens to cars in which makes you learn. Input from personal experiences has helped many to solve problems. It also has caused people to do a lot of work that was not needed. We all know his injector is bad, could of, would of, can happen doesn't matter. I can give you 800 different scenarios that can happen to a car or engine, but not likely. However, just because its not likely doesn't mean it won't or didn't happen. He could of hydro locked the engine, he could of just simply killed the starter. I saw my friend pour a 3 lb bag of sugar into the gas tank (trying to kill his car for dumb reason), and his car worked fine. In statistics, a probability of 0 does not mean it cannot happen, it just simply means the chances of it happening is almost slim to none. We're all just trying to get the op's car back and running. think we should leave it at that

Last edited by ImmaSquashYou; 08-06-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
calm down here buddy

and there is no way the ecu would know to kill 2 injectors, it doesnt work that way, it only controls the banks.
I didn't really mean it killed them, just that it attempted to lean out the right bank until the motor stalled out.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:00 PM

my head hurts fumes getting to me..lol

Check injector harness for duty cycle. Any good DVOM should have the setting. 100% is bad. Could be the injector itself is jammed open with varnish or carbon.

Actually you could just key the ignition on with the intake off (just as in the pic above) and see the injector spraying with the motor off. If it sprays, unplug electrical from injector and try again to differentiate between injector and ECM.

changed injector witch caused me 15 bucks. crank the car it started and ran like crap before it died...crank engine again and it wouldnt start and hydro locked agian..soooo im pissed right now...removed plug and cranked the motor.. tuns of fuel was pushed out of the same cylinder kept cranking and the fuel kept coming tuns of it. my car and me smell like a gass station quit cranking the motor and dried up the fuel with two bath towells. man im pissed. i need help with this
Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 PM

another note!

be fore all this happen I just replaced my mass air flow sensor the night before. I ordered one from A 94 300Z. could this have anything to do with my fuel injecture issues.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:43 PM

thanks for the info I will try it first thing in the morning.....
Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 PM

You have to figure out if the ECU is telling the injector to spray the gas or whether you got a bad injector (to replace a bad injector). $15 for an injector is awful cheap, I personally would be afraid of it. Whatever. What you could try is diconnecting the wire to the injector and crank the engine. Gas with no wire means bad injector. If no gas, try to plug a wire from another injector on the problem one, I don't know if you can do that. If you can, crank the enfine and see if the gas is little spurts or not.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM

thanks

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You have to figure out if the ECU is telling the injector to spray the gas or whether you got a bad injector (to replace a bad injector). $15 for an injector is awful cheap, I personally would be afraid of it. Whatever. What you could try is diconnecting the wire to the injector and crank the engine. Gas with no wire means bad injector. If no gas, try to plug a wire from another injector on the problem one, I don't know if you can do that. If you can, crank the enfine and see if the gas is little spurts or not.
thanks .... you guys rock when it comes to helping a brother out....I have my work cut out first thing in the morning.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 PM

thanks .... you guys rock when it comes to helping a brother out....I have my work cut out first thing in the morning.
Good luck bro.
If the "new" injector is doing the same I'm leaning towards bad ECM. Pull the upper manifold (plenum) and visually check with ign on, eng off, and again with injector unplugged.Thats gonna be the easiest way to confirm with out a node light. I believe you have to pull the plenum any way to acces the injector (It is the rear isn't it?). Wow just realized its 2:00AM your time. later.

If you could video and post any findings that would be nice.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Kevlo for President

be fore all this happen I just replaced my mass air flow sensor the night before. I ordered one from A 94 300Z. could this have anything to do with my fuel injecture issues.
get rid of this, you cannot use a z32 maf w/o the proper tuning. are you sure it is a z32 maf? if it was, you would have to swap over the connector as well.

are you sure your 15dollar injector is good? it is VERY rare for our ecu's to fail
Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
get rid of this, you cannot use a z32 maf w/o the proper tuning. are you sure it is a z32 maf? if it was, you would have to swap over the connector as well.

are you sure your 15dollar injector is good? it is VERY rare for our ecu's to fail
its a z32, man im leaning more to the maf because it was a rebuild from the part store. my turbo max was running good before the last one went bad.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:00 PM

after I removed intake manifold

Good luck bro.
If the "new" injector is doing the same I'm leaning towards bad ECM. Pull the upper manifold (plenum) and visually check with ign on, eng off, and again with injector unplugged.Thats gonna be the easiest way to confirm with out a node light. I believe you have to pull the plenum any way to acces the injector (It is the rear isn't it?). Wow just realized its 2:00AM your time. later.

If you could video and post any findings that would be nice.
OK.. this is what I've came up with after doing what U told to do to check my injector.... I checked the ohms again and it was 11.4 thats good check.
then I turn key nothing happen so I cranked to get the rest of the fuel out of the piston chamber check
to my surprise after a few cranks the motor started up and ran a few sec.
oh the injector was not plugged in check
I cranked again off and on to see if any fuel would be pushed out and sure nuff by the 4th or 5th crank fuel filled and was pushed out. but I also notice that the fuel pump presure gauge hit 90 to 100 thats bad im guessing and maybe thats why that injector had fuel pooring from it with out being connected. the rubber O-ring cant handle the pressure or injector cant handle the pressure it might be the weakest one out of the bunch. what do you guys think....
Old 08-07-2010, 05:42 PM

FSM calls for 34psi at Idle, and 43psi priming after key on. Ive tested pumps by clamping down on the return line and seen 80-90psi. Never tried this on maxima though. So did it Hydro-lock again with the injector unplugged? If I'm understanding this correctly, you either have a blocked return line, or you have a bad regulator.

My recommendations are;
-Replace injector o-ring
-Disconnect fuel return line from sending unit (under rear seat) and from regulator and blow the line out from the sending unit end.
-Replace pressure regulator (check vacuum lines for any breaks or holes first)
-Reassemble and test.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited by asand1; 08-07-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:15 PM

the next step

FSM calls for 34psi at Idle, and 43psi priming after key on. Ive tested pumps by clamping down on the return line and seen 80-90psi. Never tried this on maxima though. So did it Hydro-lock again with the injector unplugged? If I'm understanding this correctly, you either have a blocked return line, or you have a bad regulator.

My recommendations are;
-Replace injector o-ring
-Disconnect fuel return line from sending unit (under rear seat) and from regulator and blow the line out from the sending unit end.
-Reassemble and test.

I put 2 rubber O rings on the injector put every thing back together started it up and it ran. but like crap....
Im guessing cause the fuel pressure is 100psi trouble shooting it but i turn the motor of after a minute of running. Question can the maf flow sensor effect how fuel is regulated causing it to do this.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:55 PM

The fuel injector may still be leaking, but just not as much. The fuel pressure reading is rather high. There is a fuel pressure regulator that is located on the end of the fuel rail right under the throttle valve cam where the gas pedal cable attaches to. According to the FSM, as you increase manifold vacuum to the regulator valve, it restricts fuel coming out of the regulator valve. I could not find any info as to the pressure it regulates at. The 90+ pounds of fuel pressure that 2maxximum measured was no doubt before the regulator as the regulator bolts onto the fuel rail.
As asand1 stated, the fuel pressure should be a max of 43 pounds. There is a fuel pump control module (FPCM) that regulates the voltage going to the fuel pump. By not running the pump at full voltage, the pressure is regulated. I think I read that the only time you have 12 volts going to the fuel pump is the 30 seconds after you turm on the ignition key and before the engine starts. If the FPCM is having a problem, you would supposedly get a code P1220. I would assume this would cause a CEL, but we know that not all codes give you a CEL. The FSM starting on page EC-283 gives voltages and diagnostics.
This is a tough problem.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 PM

thanks man for the info I will be hitting the part store first thing in the morning to get a new regulator. you guys been very helpful with my pain in the rump maxima. thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 PM

My recommendations are;
-Replace injector o-ring
-Reassemble and test.

nope still flooding and i put in a new fuel regulator, worked for a lil bit then max out again causing the motor to flood.... next is fuel pump... check the regulator on it.....
Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 PM

nope still flooding and i put in a new fuel regulator, worked for a lil bit then max out again causing the motor to flood.... next is fuel pump... check the regulator on it.....
You can go that rute yes..but if that still doesn't resolve the problem, you will have to do what asand1 recoomends with disconnecting the return line from the sending unit and blow the line out with an air compressor.