4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Automatic Transmission Suddenly Disengaging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 PM

Automatic Transmission Suddenly Disengaging?

I put the question mark in the title because I'm not sure that I'm describing the problem correctly.

I went through hell getting all the MAF and IACV issues corrected and FINALLY had my Maxima back on the road. For about a month.

Now.. I'm driving along and everything is fine, then the rpms just rev up. No power is going to the wheels. I can max out the rpms and nothing. I just have to coast to a stop.

If I let the car sit for a few minutes and work it form Park to drive, I can eventually get it to run again. Runs fine, then all of a sudden no power to the wheels again.

I cannot get the car to Autozone yet to get codes because its unsafe to drive.

Anyone got a logical guess? Is the transmission about to completely go out? Should I just stop putting money in this car?

Any ideas or guesses guys? Searching doesn't come up with this same type problem, maybe I just need the right terminology to describe it.

HELP!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:25 PM

Two possibilities that come to my mind at the moment are:

1. Is the range selector (shifter) definitely in 'D' or in a borderline position? Have you tried moving it to 2 or 1 when the problem occurs?

2. Is the transmission overfilled with ATF? While some transmissions may tolerate a 1 quart overfill, I have found that ours does not. After driving it for a few minutes overfilled the ATF gets enough air bubbles in it that the clutches do not get enough pressure to engage properly.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Two possibilities that come to my mind at the moment are:

1. Is the range selector (shifter) definitely in 'D' or in a borderline position? Have you tried moving it to 2 or 1 when the problem occurs?]

I have tried shifting down to 1 and 2 so I don't think thats the problem.

2. Is the transmission overfilled with ATF? While some transmissions may tolerate a 1 quart overfill, I have found that ours does not. After driving it for a few minutes overfilled the ATF gets enough air bubbles in it that the clutches do not get enough pressure to engage properly.

I would love to be able to give a better answer. The guage reads like it is right to the hot line when the engine is hot. Cold it seems to be right but both cold and hot I can't seem to get as clear a reading as I'd like. Seems like the fluid gets spread from pulling it from the resevoir.

I do know that the problem started suddenly after no changes in transmission fluid to my knowledge. After a while I talked to a friend that suggested I add some. That test run it worked longer than it had been and I thought I was ok, then it started doing it after about 40 minutes of driving.

Typing that, I just remembered it overheated for the first time in years that day... this all happened a few weeks ago and I tried to block that part out of memory... I have more problems than I thought.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 PM

Hve the same problem as soon as my car gets to operating temp the auto slips like crazy but will grab at high RPM's and you can get moving. Diagnosis from the tranny shop!! Needs a rebuild.
When cold it is fine and you can accelerate at full power no trouble.
Previous owner let it get low on fluid when a seal leaked and has burn't out the clutches. When it gets hot the line pressure drops off due to probably a blocked filter they say and then clutches slip.
In the process of getting parts to swap to 5-speed stick!!