4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP 6spd swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:50 PM

HELP 6spd swap

so im about to do a 3.5 6spd swap in my 4th gen. im already in the process of swapping over the timing and making my own tb. i have a 05 3.5 6spd with 50k on it. i have all the parts necessary for the swap but the passenger axle. i have searched but still havent found if the axles needs to be a different lengths. i know with the 6spd to a 3.0 the passenger has to be slightly longer so just wondering if any of you could help me out!

Last edited by TheArtist; 09-08-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by TheArtist
so im about to do a 3.5 6spd swap in my 4th gen. im already in the process of swapping over the timing and making my own tb. i have a 05 3.5 6spd with 50k on it. i have all the parts necessary for the swap but the passenger axle. i have searched but still havent found if the axles needs to be a different lengths. i know with the 6spd to a 3.0 the passenger has to be slightly longer so just wondering if any of you could help me out!
Not sure if you missed the Sticky in the "All Motor" forum, but here you go.

Originally Posted by MAXSE5SPD
6 spd in a 4th gen swap procedure & faq
This is a work-in-progress. i just wanted to get something started. im going to keep adding to it each day. i got part numbers for most of these parts.

REQUIRED PARTS
02+ 6spd maxima transmission. sentra spec-v will also work (if you use maxima bellhousing)
5.5 gen 6spd maxima shifter assembly
5.5 gen 6spd maxima shifter cables
6spd drivers side axle
6spd pass axle*

6spd frame trans mount
6spd transmission mount
6spd flywheel
6spd clutch
5spd timing ring
6spd starter
6spd slave cylinder

OPTIONAL PARTS...
custom 1" lengthened pass axle
Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 PM

yeah ive read that but dont exactly know where i could get a custom lengthened one. that guy never replied back to me about the details.. thanks for the help though
Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 PM
ef9

Wow, you can actually do a 3.5 swap into the 4th gen? That is awesome. Anyone else who completed this swap?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 PM

Good luck with the swap bruh. Was on the fence at first about going 35 or DE-k. Ended up going with the latter. Im definitely in for progress.

What are your goals with her?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 AM

RUMOR HAS IT that you can use the 5spd axles, if you're already 5spd I'd try that first before buying 6spd axles.

If everything went according to plan a few weekends back I could have told you for sure but things have been delayed and now I have to put 6spd swap back on the calendar cause now 1st gear don't like me that much due to my input shaft bearing... but that's another discussion for another day...

OT Question for you:

What are you doing about your timing ring/flywheel?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by aackshun
RUMOR HAS IT that you can use the 5spd axles, if you're already 5spd I'd try that first before buying 6spd axles.
Where did you hear this? This is news to me....hmmm
Old 09-09-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ef9
Wow, you can actually do a 3.5 swap into the 4th gen? That is awesome. Anyone else who completed this swap?
You must be new here....... yes lots and lots of swaps. 6 speed not so much. Im curious to hear about how this works out. good luck to the OP
Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Hella internets

Dan,

As far as the extention of the axle goes. You should be able to take it to a machine shop and have them make you a custom one. It wont be cheap tho...

There is a really good machine shop that does alota stuff like this, mostly commercial but i know they do custom stuff alot...might wana bring it to them...but your going to have to take apart the joint and show them just the rod so they can make another one but 1" longer...

have you tried measuring your 5spd one compared to the 6spd one??if there is a 1" difference maybe dude above is right and you MAY be able to use it...just a thought...
Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Whatchyou say?

Would a 6spd axle (ps) not work? I guess I'm a little lost at the question at hand. Are you running an auto now, or MT? You can go to a parts store, have them pull a 98' axle and an 05 and compare them. I note above that it says 'optional' 1" extended axle. Is this totaly needed, how have others done it?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

You know, having a custom shaft built doesn't seem that difficult really. There are a couple axle specialty shops here in town. Get the dimensions, spline counts, and cv type and you can have them put one together for you for just a little more than the cost of a stock axle. Do you have axle specialty shops near you? Worth a shot.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:23 PM

Ok so I'm swapping in a complete 05 engine and tranny that came together. The optional legenthing part is very confusing to me. I am a original m/t but all I really need is the passenger side axle length. I guess I won't know till I buy one then compare the lengths. Good news is that's really that last thing that I'm going to have to do to complete the swap. I wonder if the 6spd axle will work but there will barley be enough in there to turn the wheels so that's why the extra inch is needed.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:44 PM

i never knew u could swap over the 6spd on to the 3.0
Old 09-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Still lost here... You must be doing a full swap instead of hybrid, meaning ecu and alllllll of the wiring associated.

So, are you doing a hybrid swap, or full swap?

This in effect answers my timing ring question....

btw sorry about this weird line of questioning, I've just run into the same problem w/ my 6spd swap right now and would love to hear some sollutions on what to do about the timing ring on the flywheel.

:Edit:

JtzMax the 04-06 axles will not work with this swap, if you were to buy new axles it would have to be 02-03 6mt axles (which I've seen that works). I've verified through various sources that 04-06 axles will NOT work with a 02-03 maxima, logic suggest that they would not work on a 4th gen either.

Last edited by aackshun; 09-11-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Man for some reason i was thinking that keeping the motor the 3.5 it wouldn't matter but since I'm going with the timing swap the timing ring would have to match up. Correct?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Whatchyou say?

Still lost here... You must be doing a full swap instead of hybrid, meaning ecu and alllllll of the wiring associated.

So, are you doing a hybrid swap, or full swap?

This in effect answers my timing ring question....

btw sorry about this weird line of questioning, I've just run into the same problem w/ my 6spd swap right now and would love to hear some sollutions on what to do about the timing ring on the flywheel.

:Edit:

JtzMax the 04-06 axles will not work with this swap, if you were to buy new axles it would have to be 02-03 6mt axles (which I've seen that works). I've verified through various sources that 04-06 axles will NOT work with a 02-03 maxima, logic suggest that they would not work on a 4th gen either.

Thank you!

OP: What of the bold type above? Help us understand please.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 AM

He means if I'm keeping the timing the same aka 3.0 timing on my 3.5 swap. If I keep the timing at 3.0 I need to use the 5speed timing ring in order for everything to work properly. If I was doing a full swap 3.5 engine 6spd and the 3.5 ecu I wouldnt have to mess with anything because all the timing would be the same.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Whatchyou say?

I understand .... just wondering if you were gonna do the full (3.5 / 6 spd) swap or just the 6spd and leave the 3.0 in?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 PM

Just get the 6spd axle dont bother going and getting the custom lengthened one. Too much hassle
Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 PM

im doing the 3.5 engine 3.0 timing and 6spd tranny. rmt well be added after engine is deemed reliable
Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM

Ok, so what are you doing about the flywheel?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 PM

well considering there are only like what 3 options out there? 5spd auto ring, the spacer or i forget the other. just thinking about doing the auto and having a machine shop do everything for me. i really wish there was a easier solution to this. what suggestions do you have on the subject?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM

I sent a PM or two to turbos13hatch (travis) he was planning on making a group deal for bolt on 6spd timing rings for the aftermarket flywheels (which is what I have now), but he has yet to respond to my second most recent PM.

In the mean time, I'm doing what my friend did, which was take a dremel to the timing ring and 3hrs to make your own custom VQ30 timing ring (worked for him so far).

I took it to a machine shop and they quoted me atleast 400.

As for the spacer? I would have considered it but too late now, I have the aftermarket fw.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:28 PM

so that ring that he made for you works then? i heard he hasnt got back to people but i have yet to pm him.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant that I have the Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, not travis's bolt on timing ring.

And I will start on the "Custom" timing ring thing myself after my next paycheck (oct 1st). If everything goes well I can pop in my 6spd.

Last edited by aackshun; 09-19-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 PM

ah i see. man i still dont know what i should do. what would you suggest?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 PM

Uhmm.... Do you have the stock 6spd flywheel? Or did you plan on using your 5spd flywheel?

IMO I can't stand the weight of the stock 6spd flywheel, which is why I went aftermarket (which is a few lbs lighter than the stock 5spd flywheel).

Just a rough calculation the stock 5spd is about 1/2 the weight of a stock 6spd.

Anyways... I will only recommend a solution when I have found one.

I will personally take a dremel and add the 22 or so teeth by hand, I will document my 6spd swap thoroughly on my website.

My main concern w/ the FW is that the timing ring is currently bent a little bit, I hope it won't be a hindrance for starting up/running the car.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:07 PM

i have both of them. the engine that i bought still had everything on it.

hey can you tell me if these guys even know what theu are talking about on the sight
http://www.engineswaptech.com/forums/thread/5623.aspx
Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 PM

They are correct. I would worry too about the balance of the FW when you start grinding and welding things on to it.

It's one of the reasons why my friend just said THE HELL with it and took his dremel and started adding teeth (spray painted the pattern onto a stock 02 6spd FW and went at it).

In all honesty, I'm really hoping that travis can get a batch of those timing rings for the aftermarket fw and I can just bolt it on.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 PM

seriously that would ease all our lives. i would have kept my 5spd but it was on its way out so i need to make this 6spd work.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:28 PM

ROFLMFAO!!!!!

I AM IN THE SAME BOAT!!! You have no idea man.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 PM

man!! i might just have to end up going to a machine shop so i can have my car running. i cant keep bumming rides off people. i miss my maxima
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Hella internets

You can pretty much do whatever you want to a flywheel as long as its not going to effect the structural strength of it (ie drilling 30 big azz holes all over it). Most important thing is just to get it re-balanced after your done, thats usually about 40-60 bucks.

Hit up Parish Automotive, or Cascar and c what they will charge you to do something like this. There is another shop over here in EG that i have had do some other machine work for me and they have always been super fast, just sometimes not the cheapest. But they all vary from project to project as far as rates for different jobs so its worth giving them a call.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 AM

yeah but its the timing ring that i need to change not the flywheel. help me out here kelly!!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Hella internets

So what do you need to do just add a few teath to it it? I guess im going to have to do some more reading on this to be able to really give you my advice on it...

I was under the impression that the mounting holes on the FW are different and that you neeed to re drill out the timing ring to fit and also mod it to add more teaffez
Old 09-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Hella internets

i have both of them. the engine that i bought still had everything on it.

hey can you tell me if these guys even know what theu are talking about on the sight
http://www.engineswaptech.com/forums/thread/5623.aspx
The last post stated that all you have to do is re drill the holes on the 3.0 TR in order to fit on the JWT FW. Just as i stated, just do this...U may as well upgrade the flywheel while your in there, of course fundage is a main concern but this is what i would do...

Either that or just grind off the spot welds on the TR's and re-weld it onto the 35 FW bottom ring section...

I am sure that they should be pretty easy to line up and then re-weld...the main thing after that is just have it rebalanced. Make sure to bring the PP and Clutch that you plan on running and have them balance the FW with that bolted on, might as well and its the best way to make sure everything is "balanced"

If you want me too, i could weld up the bracket

Last edited by XeroX; 09-20-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM

Interesting...

Whoaring up the thread w/ photo'z

Fidanza Lightweight 6spd Flywheel vs. stock A33 5spd flywheel (like it makes a diff between A33 and A32).

Offset difference... What tool would I use to accurately measure the difference? Maybe someone can make a TOB spacer....

Clutch side

Crank side

Side note..

You can NOT use a Maxima 6spd pressure plate with a 5spd flywheel.
You can NOT use a G35/350z/Maxima 6spd clutch plate with the 5spd flywheel.

I was bored and did some what if's with all of the stuff I have lying around....

Last edited by aackshun; 09-20-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 PM

so im probably going the route of just welding the 2 together then having it ballanced. seems the most cost effective to me
Old 09-25-2010, 07:58 AM

so im probably going the route of just welding the 2 together then having it ballanced. seems the most cost effective to me
You can try dremeling for 3hrs, its cheaper and if it fails just continue on with welding (that's my plan of attack).
Old 09-25-2010, 05:33 PM

You can try dremeling for 3hrs, its cheaper and if it fails just continue on with welding (that's my plan of attack).
QUIT TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT MY GHETTO-RIGGING!

fyi, the 6spd, 5spd, and 4th gen auto passenger axles are ALL THE SAME! the 4th gen auto driver axle is supposedly about an inch longer than the 5spd's but haven't seen that for myself. hint, you could prolly get 4th gen axles cheaper than 5th gen's.

Quick Reply: HELP 6spd swap