4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

when i rev up the coolant needle moves and miss fires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:19 PM

when i rev up the coolant needle moves and miss fires.

got a 95 maxima with 300k miles, i had a constant bad miss fire after washing my engine and i drove it 3 days like that it never cleared up so i changed spark plugs and old ones were rusted badly from water when i was cleaning engine.

anyways the plug wires were original but it pretty good shape but i may of damaged them when taking the wires off the coil and putting that grease in them. it ran fine for a week and today started its miss fireing when i come to complete stop in drive.

also when it would **** me off id rev it to like 4.5 rpms and i noticed my temp needle would twitch downward why is that? and what could cause my miss fires no CEL.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
got a 95 maxima with 300k miles, i had a constant bad miss fire after washing my engine and i drove it 3 days like that it never cleared up so i changed spark plugs and old ones were rusted badly from water when i was cleaning engine.

anyways the plug wires were original but it pretty good shape but i may of damaged them when taking the wires off the coil and putting that grease in them. it ran fine for a week and today started its miss fireing when i come to complete stop in drive.

also when it would **** me off id rev it to like 4.5 rpms and i noticed my temp needle would twitch downward why is that? and what could cause my miss fires no CEL.
Do you have enough coolant in there?? Also, what is your mixture?? I have heard of it going up while reving but not down..

BTW, do you have the original Mitsubishi coils??
Old 09-15-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Do you have enough coolant in there?? Also, what is your mixture?? I have heard of it going up while reving but not down..

BTW, do you have the original Mitsubishi coils??

yea i know me too, hell its like 25 antifrease and 75 water lol its clean though. i just dont under stand why it twitchs downward. and the coils are what ever came from nissan back in 95. its not a constant miss fire its smooth then when i come to a complete stop in drive it does it badly.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:04 PM

yea i know me too, hell its like 25 antifrease and 75 water lol its clean though. i just dont under stand why it twitchs downward. and the coils are what ever came from nissan back in 95. its not a constant miss fire its smooth then when i come to a complete stop in drive it does it badly.
Yes, I also do have those coils and they are Mitsubishi. One of mine is also dying. I replaced one to a Hanshin and a few weeks later, another one. Haven't gotten a chance to look at it though. But what you need to do is start your car, pull up the handbrake and put your car in D. Open the hood and disconnect the coil one by one. The car will shake but you gotta feel the extra drop by putting your hand on the engine with a rag. When it stops, that your defective coil on the way out.

As for the coolant, I would check the temperature sensor and replace. Its a fairly cheap part. Do you have any coolant leaks? Did you replace your water pump or thermostat recently?
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM

Yes, I also do have those coils and they are Mitsubishi. One of mine is also dying. I replaced one to a Hanshin and a few weeks later, another one. Haven't gotten a chance to look at it though. But what you need to do is start your car, pull up the handbrake and put your car in D. Open the hood and disconnect the coil one by one. The car will shake but you gotta feel the extra drop by putting your hand on the engine with a rag. When it stops, that your defective coil on the way out.

As for the coolant, I would check the temperature sensor and replace. Its a fairly cheap part. Do you have any coolant leaks? Did you replace your water pump or thermostat recently?

well i just went out their and adjusted my idle because it was idleing like 900 rpms and now i cant feel the miss fires, and ya i know how to check them i will do it when it acts up again.

and yes new water pump about 4 months ago. no water leaks or oil leaks whatso ever.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:34 PM

well i just went out their and adjusted my idle because it was idleing like 900 rpms and now i cant feel the miss fires, and ya i know how to check them i will do it when it acts up again.

and yes new water pump about 4 months ago. no water leaks or oil leaks whatso ever.
Have you had to add in any coolant since installation and fill up?? No oil leaks?? Not even the Upper oil pan seal under the RMS?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:58 PM

no, its been full for long time, i think my system is tearing up the gauge because when i turned up the bass today the needle was movin around lol maybe it rattled it loose.

i hope so that or i have a short somewhere, but yea the damn miss fires, their annoying i may have damaged the little spring thats in the plug wires because i pulled them a part to grease them and one i think may of broke.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:20 PM

My temp needle was twitching like that under hard acceleration. The spade terminal on my sensor was loose where it was peened on. I disconnected the wire, cleaned the sensor and soldered the spade terminal to the sensor. Not loose anymore, and no needle shake.

One or more of your boots is likey leaking spark to the tube.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
My temp needle was twitching like that under hard acceleration. The spade terminal on my sensor was loose where it was peened on. I disconnected the wire, cleaned the sensor and soldered the spade terminal to the sensor. Not loose anymore, and no needle shake.

One or more of your boots is likey leaking spark to the tube.

yea, that would make more since the plug wire boot is leaking, i think im gonna try in grab 6 from junkyard and throw them in because i dont have 120 bux to get new ones. i did damage one pretty bad on accident and probably is my miss fire problem i hope.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 PM

Did you check the dipstick and make sure your not loosing coolant,If your not thats good because thats a sign of a bad headgasket. I will next check on the wires on the ECTS and make sure the wires are connected good and there no interference with anything in that area with that ECTS wires. It might be that your voltage in that area in the coilpacks are high. It can be a bad coil pack or the connections were bad or modified.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
Did you check the dipstick and make sure your not loosing coolant,If your not thats good because thats a sign of a bad headgasket. I will next check on the wires on the ECTS and make sure the wires are connected good and there no interference with anything in that area with that ECTS wires. It might be that your voltage in that area in the coilpacks are high. It can be a bad coil pack or the connections were bad or modified.

no im not loosing any fluids its allll good. it has to be the plug wire or maybe loose connector. i think the ripped plug wire may be throwing power threw the blow or something.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 AM

no im not loosing any fluids its allll good. it has to be the plug wire or maybe loose connector. i think the ripped plug wire may be throwing power threw the blow or something.
Temp sensor and engine miss are seperate issues. Check your guage sensor, NOT ECTS,they are different parts. One wire with a a rubber covered female spade. I'll take pics when the rain stops here.

Do an engine balance test (unplug coils) and replace the bad boot. You should be able to buy them new individualy online.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 AM

This is the gauge sender that I soldered. The heat from the soldering gun didn't harm it as I thought it might. I soldered it while the engine was cold, so the engine coolant would carry excess heat away from the bi-metallic sensor innards.

Last edited by asand1; 09-18-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:29 PM

kool thanks ill check that out.

and the miss fire is fixed.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:42 PM

This is the gauge sender that I soldered. The heat from the soldering gun didn't harm it as I thought it might. I soldered it while the engine was cold, so the engine coolant would carry excess heat away from the bi-metallic sensor innards.
So that connection is soldered on? Its not plug out and plug in?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 PM

So that connection is soldered on? Its not plug out and plug in?
It has a "blade" terminal that is peened onto the sensor. It was loose so I soldered it. The connector and terminal themselves were not altered and work the same way. You can see the connector behind the terminal, I pulled it off for photographing.

Last edited by asand1; 09-18-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:11 AM

It has a "blade" terminal that is peened onto the sensor. It was loose so I soldered it. The connector and terminal themselves were not altered and work the same way. You can see the connector behind the terminal, I pulled it off for photographing.
I tried wiggling out that sensor a while back when I was replacing my ECTS and was going to replace that same time but couldn't get that off. Just left it till it completely conks out
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 AM

I tried wiggling out that sensor a while back when I was replacing my ECTS and was going to replace that same time but couldn't get that off. Just left it till it completely conks out
You need to squeeze the connector and it will pull right off.