4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A NY newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2000, 10:44 AM
calvin418

'sup everyone.
Cool to see a site dedicated to Maximas. I recently got a '97 GLE and have only made some cosmetic changes - white dials, clear corners, cleared-out tail-lights, and superwhite bulbs for headlights, foglights, and front blinkers.

My car is an auto, so I don't plan on racing too much. Also, i'd rather keep my car quiet.

i have a rather strange inquiry:
1) if i want a smoother ride, what struts do you recommend?

2) if i decide i don't want a smoother ride, and am thinking about lowering the car (thus making my ride mad rough), does anyone from the NorthEast have any bad experiences with a lowered car.. esp. with NYC roads and highways? do you guys bottom out alot, or have problems with speed bumps or driveways?

any comments/suggestions would be a great help and much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2000, 12:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sup Calvin

Calvin,

What's up, my name is Delio and I am from the NY area, not deep in the city like lots of people here, I am actually from Westchester/Putnam. Anyways, welcome to the board dude. I have a 98 black Max 5 speed. I have a 1.5 inch drop and I am riding on 18's. I have never bottomed out, I have scraped a few times, going over speedbumps, with passengers in my car though. Even driving in Mt. Vernon and Yonkers, and those streets are pretty miserable. I will admit the ride sux sometimes, but I can cope with it. It is all a matter of personal preference.

Anyway, if you have any more questions post them here, or e-mail me, I will be glad to help. Welcome to the board and enjoy your Maxima... I know I enjoy mine :-)

Delio
Old 08-30-2000, 01:17 PM
Vic

Hey! welcome to the group..

ok..in nyc you have to be careful...careful of potholes. speedbumps... westside hwy and dodging bullets...
if you don't want the rough ride stay away from eibach's..i had it for awhile and it was too much for me..but handling is top knotched... see ya around the city
Vic
Old 08-30-2000, 04:28 PM
calvin418

thanks

vic and delio
thanx for the input fellas. yo do you guys have clear corners with non-amber bulbs? ever get a ticket? i'm hoping i don't .. but i've been hearing that people are getting busted for not having amber bulbs..

regarding shocks, i'm thinking about koni's adjustable shocks.. i've determined i prefer a soft ride (esp. with all those bumps in NY)

also thinking about 17" rims.. do you guys recommend any tire sizes that will help avoid getting my rims dented ?

finally, any suggestions on exhaust tips? i'm not looking to make my car louder or faster.. just more beautiful. =b

cool..

much appreciated.

Old 08-31-2000, 07:48 AM

Calvin...

I do have the clear corners with "non-amber" bulbs and I have never gotten a ticket for it. Got my ***** broken once, but no ticket.

The Koni's are definitely the best shocks to get, and I will be upgrading to them once my Tokicos bite the dust, but be aware of the fact that they are much more expensive (after you factor installation) than Tokicos.

Tire Sizes for Rims? Ask around for the calculator, i don't the site bookmarked here. Or I would link you too it, I am not sure what people are running on their 17's since I have 18's :-)

Exhaust tip? No clue, I actually want to see performance gains, I don't know anything about exhaust tips.

Take care dude and ask away,
Del
Old 08-31-2000, 08:43 AM

Clear Blinkers >>>

1st. Welcome Calvin, I've got H&R and Tokikos. I drive in NYC often, as long as I take it easy all is good.

Guys, when your driving down the road and see blinking white lights what do you think it could be? how about blinking amber lights? You might know better, but, grandma on her '77 cadillac might not. I've got clear front blinkers w/ amber bulbs. And I'm in search of clr/red rears, I'll keep the amber on rear as well.clear blinkers (hazards) is one mod I don't agree with. How about your break lights? what color are they? Safety comes first. Flame me all u want.

Later.
Old 08-31-2000, 08:53 AM

No Flames

Fredo,

Sup dude? I hear what your saying, and I do have red brake lights, actually I have UPGRADED red brake lights :-) and amber turn signal bulbs, even with my clear trun signal in the rear... my Reverse lights are white also...I just felt that the amber in the front took too much away from the cars appearance. If anyone should be getting flamed it is me. You are cool... LOL! Lata dude.
Old 08-31-2000, 09:46 AM

Upgraded Brake light???

what's that all about? waazz up Delio? how you've been?
Don't tell you can upgrade the breaklights, I allready have a huge wish list, but, I guess there's always room for one more.

P.s.
Plz. don't call me Fredo. It reminds me of the Godfather, and Fredo f**ed up. Something I try not to do. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2000, 10:57 AM
calvin418

Hey Alfredo,

as for my lights.. all is good in the rear.. the amber lens is cleared out, but i still have amber bulbs. Thus, hazards are still amber.
Everything else in the rear is still red.. so break lights are still red.

as for the front, everything is clear with no amber bulbs. All my bulbs are superwhite. i'm just hoping this doesn't run me into too many problems.

how's your ride? not too rough.. i'm looking for a softer ride.. so hopefully Konis will do the trick..

we'll see..

thanks for the feedback.